MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 117 03-08-2010 11:59 PM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM
SRA Meeting To Elect MSU VP's! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-06-2008 08:31 PM

MSU President-Elect and Referrenda Results

Old 02-05-2011 at 08:18 AM   #30
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Matt Wright ran a good campaign, and had a very realistic platform; I think he would have done a good job. And like Alasdair said, had MDL not been running I would likely have supported him. But if you've ever worked with MDL on any of the projects he's taken on in the past, you'd understand why he is the best candidate for the job. He works harder than almost anyone else on SRA, and gets results because of it. And it helps that he never limited his projects to being within the MSU, and has worked with almost every faculty society at various points. He had a lot of support from involved students, even if most of it was from people involved outside of the MSU.

I did hear quite a few people saying they were voting for MDL because of his looks, but it wasn't the majority. Almost everyone I talked to who was voting for him did it because he had by far the best class talks. It wasn't just that he's such a passionate speaker though, it was that he actually talked to students while he was waiting to speak. Most candidates just stand there and wait, MDL actually approached students. And he won a lot of people over that way.
Totally agreed. I personally know nothing about student politics or government and I am generally apathetic about it. However, I decided to vote for MDL because from his class talks, I felt he would be able to do something. It seemed like he had experience and achieved things in the past - so yeah. Nothing about faculty (I dont even know which faculty he is from) or looks lol.

Old 02-05-2011 at 08:54 AM   #31
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
offtopic, saw your made by mac submission in the Lyons Media Center Big screen and I was wondering how can I vote for you ?
??? Really? Awesome. Too bad it's probably the one from last year :(

Was it this?
http://thecherbear.deviantar t.com/gallery/#/d2jbka8

And thanks for the implied compliment, makes me feel gooooooood.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

L'Étoile likes this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 09:16 AM   #32
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
??? Really? Awesome. Too bad it's probably the one from last year :(

Was it this?
http://thecherbear.deviantar t.com/gallery/#/d2jbka8

And thanks for the implied compliment, makes me feel gooooooood.
Yeah its this one, I thought its this year's. You should submit something this year if you have time (and if the deadline is not passed)

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 02-05-2011 at 09:38 AM   #33
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
Why is everyone saying the guy that won, won because of his looks? That guy is not cute! He won because he's got the most friends These elections do nothing more than remind me of high school. MSU should really rethink this whole president thing.

Old 02-05-2011 at 10:14 AM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Yeah its this one, I thought its this year's. You should submit something this year if you have time (and if the deadline is not passed)
I thought about it, but honestly it's really just a popularity contest (who has the most facebook friends), the voting process is abnormally complicated, and I just haven't had the heart to open Photoshop after my laptop dying and losing 4+ years of collecting resources and whatnot.

=[

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-05-2011 at 11:43 AM   #35
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvaa View Post
Totally agreed. I personally know nothing about student politics or government and I am generally apathetic about it. However, I decided to vote for MDL because from his class talks, I felt he would be able to do something. It seemed like he had experience and achieved things in the past - so yeah. Nothing about faculty (I dont even know which faculty he is from) or looks lol.
My little cousin (in first year) and her friend both voted for MDL for the same reason. They didn't read the platforms or actually know anything about the candidates, but the voting booths were on their way to class and apparently MDL gave much better class talks than Wright.

Old 02-05-2011 at 11:44 AM   #36
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times
Nothing like running by the "Matt Wright" supporters who are asking "did yote?" and replying by saying "JAMES LIM!"

Old 02-05-2011 at 12:46 PM   #37
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times
MDL did not come to any of my classes, and MattWright came to 3 or 4 of them, that's why I voted for him.

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:04 PM   #38
sf

Liked: 36 Times
Both MDL and Matt Wright came to talk to my classes and I can say in my opinion MDL definiteyl ad the better class talks. Matt Wright just talked abut the importance of voting and didn't really touch on his plaform where as MDL talked about his platform and tried to engage people. That's the reason I voted for MDL, not for his looks...infact I don't even remember what he looks like.

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:26 PM   #39
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
Out of all the candidates, the only one that came to any of my courses was Matt Wright. Apparently none of the other candidates wanted to go into engineering classes.

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:28 PM   #40
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
Out of all the candidates, the only one that came to any of my courses was Matt Wright. Apparently none of the other candidates wanted to go into engineering classes.
Because its totally feasible to visit every single class everywhere.

alh24 likes this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:45 PM   #41
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times
MDL looks like the kind of guy to have dicks drawn on his forehead in permanent marker at a party after having passed out from two shots of peach schnapps. So forgive me for saying that the vote result was not only garbage, nor was it surprising. From what I'm aware of, most of the women on campus who voted for him obviously voted for him solely based on the fact that he has dimples and is average looking (despite actually looking like he's 13) and have once again proven that looks > quality in the real world. The votes of the male majority are irrelevent because "YEEEEEAAAAAAH BROOOOOOOOOO LETS TAKE OUR SHIRTS OFF AND FLEX OUR PREPUBESCENT MUSCLES!!" still dominates, even at this age, hence Wright's very obvious lack of cool (even to the university crowd) being a driving factor for the shift.

Matt Wright is no stud, nor was his platform and whatnot truly compelling but I'd rather the 4/10 eager beaver than the 6/10 afterbirth of Justin Beiber.

Last edited by Kendoon : 02-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Desda, Mikob11 like this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:46 PM   #42
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
Same here. I've never had even 1 candidate come to my class in the past 3 years. Matt Wright was the only one.

*grumble grumble* something about MSU candidates generally not caring for engineers *grumble grumble*

Old 02-05-2011 at 03:17 PM   #43
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times
Is anyone else concerned about MDL's stance on the contingency fund? I mean, isn't it there for a reason? If he uses it, what's going to happen to the MSU in the future if it suddenly needs the money?

micadjems, murgling all say thanks to BlueMorphan for this post.

Old 02-05-2011 at 03:21 PM   #44
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Same here. I've never had even 1 candidate come to my class in the past 3 years. Matt Wright was the only one.

*grumble grumble* something about MSU candidates generally not caring for engineers *grumble grumble*
I feel like it's because, frankly, other than the solid engineering candidates, we don't really care about them. When the MSU election fails to bring someone in that engineers think would do a good job, we tend to go return to the MES, where stuff typically works out well, the society does a lot for us, and we enjoy it... And the faculties without the kind of society support that we get from the MES, they go back to ignoring and despising the MSU, complaining about the president they chose. Kinda ironic when you think about it

JLG 15 likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search