MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 117 03-08-2010 11:59 PM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM
SRA Meeting To Elect MSU VP's! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-06-2008 08:31 PM

MSU President-Elect and Referrenda Results

Old 02-05-2011 at 03:28 PM   #45
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times
It's not like there will be BIG changes regardless of who MSU the president is. Chances are the University BOG shoots down every idea the MSU administration has.

P.S. What was up with James Lim's posters?

lorend likes this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 03:45 PM   #46
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times
I think it's just chance if a candidate comes to one of your classes. In five years, only one candidate has ever come to any of my classes, and I'm in social sciences.

alh24 likes this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 03:54 PM   #47
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohitB View Post
It's not like there will be BIG changes regardless of who MSU the president is. Chances are the University BOG shoots down every idea the MSU administration has.

P.S. What was up with James Lim's posters?
To be fair a bit of work by the President also concerns external lobbying as in Municipal, Provincial(through OUSA), CASA(through Federal) but he/she shares that mandate with the VP Education and my Position as well(Commissioner).

Similarly often understated is the percentage of importance(atleast for me) platform points at concerning the University are actually worth in the bigger picture. Though they are talked about the most.

One of the salient duties of a President is also to be the CEO of MSU Inc(An Organization with 10 Mil in Revenue) and circumstantially fixing the organizational malaise of this organization(We've been in the Red since 2008 with another loss predicted this year too).

But also while you are to some extent accurate about the BOG over ruling any ridiculous demands, If one intelligently puts in lobbying efforts that align with the Universities long term strategy you can be successful. A good example is when back in fall 2009 while creeping around UTS website I found their Vision 2020 strategic plan that a few months down led me to start a push as an SRA project for a Web Based Email system replacement(The Gmail Implementation) and a sustained effort for Systems Renewal that led to McMaster allocating $30 Mil over 5 years for an overhaul that will change MUGSI by Summer 2012. Though I don't claim any credit for the latter since it was something the BOG and UTS had wanted to do for a while and was long overdue but I think a bit of pressure/questioning a few months before the 2010 McMaster budget might have made a small difference.

But yeah completely going against the direction of Mac Admin doesn't lead you anywhere for the most bit.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:09 PM   #48
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
...Web Based Email system replacement(The Gmail Implementation) ...

But yeah completely going against the direction of Mac Admin doesn't lead you anywhere for the most bit.
Kinda off topic but when is this going to be fully implemented? IIRC I read on here that it was by the end of reading week. Is it still on track?

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:12 PM   #49
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Kinda off topic but when is this going to be fully implemented? IIRC I read on here that it was by the end of reading week. Is it still on track?
The current ETA is after reading week, but it may still be pushed back. Worst case scenario: We won't get it until sometime in summer.

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:13 PM   #50
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Well yeah according to last word it's after reading week; The actual technical implementation can be done in a few days, However the lawyers and other administration people are going back and forth to try and come to a deal that is okay with both parties. Something Similar also happened at University of Alberta when they were negotiating last year. At this point I don't think there is much we can do but wait.

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:15 PM   #51
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
I think it's just chance if a candidate comes to one of your classes. In five years, only one candidate has ever come to any of my classes, and I'm in social sciences.
Most candidates aim for the rooms rather then the programs as first priority. Therefore MDCl, BSB basement, TSH 120 and so on are looked at first using MTT. But then they also try and ensure that all faculties are numerically represented. Given that my classes this year are in LSB, HH, ABB and aren't bigger then 30-60, it's highly unlikely I would have gotten a candidate.

Old 02-05-2011 at 05:46 PM   #52
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times
This time of year always frustrates me because people go on about how they wished that someone else had won, or that they don't think the person who won can handle it. Mary got the exact same comments last year, and I made a similar comment in response last year. MDL JUST got elected, he won't take office for about 3 more months - before you start complaining - give him a chance! Give him an opportunity to prove you wrong before you discount him as President. In my opinion Mary completely proved me wrong as someone who was on another campaign team last year, and I look forward to MDL proving those of you with negative comments wrong. If he's doing a poor job a few months in - then criticize him, but at least give him a chance.

AeRo, J-Met, lorend all say thanks to McIntyre for this post.

Old 02-05-2011 at 06:00 PM   #53
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Interesting how Alicia completely got forgotten about in the elections. Everyone focussed on Mattx2, since they were considered the front runners... or James and Steven because they were funny. Nobody talked about Alicia, but she didn't do too badly.

alicia2011 says thanks to bcars for this post.

alh24, J-Met like this.

Old 02-05-2011 at 10:27 PM   #54
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I'm glad MDL won! He came to a few of my classes. I liked his ideas, but what I remember most about him was that he wasn't going to do the whole "The MSU and the University need to work together and communicate better" thing. Every candidate says that every year. I get bored of hearing the bureaucratic stuff, and I like to hear possible solutions to actual problems.
Lots of talk on here about looks and popularity. I don't even remember what any of the candidates look like, and I never heard of them before they spoke at my classes. Oh well. I hope he does well next year!

alh24 likes this.

Old 02-06-2011 at 02:23 AM   #55
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times
Oh god...THIS guy. Puhlease. His objectives are sooo naive.

Old 02-06-2011
Desda
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-06-2011 at 10:38 AM   #56
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times
Hey everyone,

So first off I wanted to thank those who went out and voted, it was great to see an increase in voter turnout this year. I also wanted to say that both Alicia Ali and Matt Wright ran amazing campaigns and it was an honour to run alongside them.

Also, yes I look young, I am fully aware. Personally I have always felt that if I moved back into residence I could start undergrad all over again and no one would be the wiser.....

Strategy says thanks to MD-L for this post.

Old 02-06-2011
deadpool
Old 02-06-2011
deadpool

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search