MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torrenting sites/Watch TV Online sites lorend Movies & Television 13 09-09-2010 01:05 PM
Best links/sites/videos/pics on the net tanniegan Computers & Tech 22 08-06-2010 08:12 PM
MSU Survey on the Proposed Hamilton Stadium Sites finklej MacInsiders Announcements 3 08-03-2010 09:45 AM
Dating sites Katia Dating & Relationships 70 04-20-2010 01:31 PM
has anyone else heard of these sites? marauders89 General Discussion 9 03-04-2009 01:06 PM

Prof Sites

Old 07-11-2008 at 01:37 PM   #1
Alireza

Liked: 0 Times

Prof Sites
One of our macinsider members, Kenneth, posted a link to a prof's website on a course (1B03) which was very helpful. I was wondering if upper year students could post anymore of these, more specifically first year engineering cources, however if you have any other please share
Old 07-11-2008 at 01:54 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

To find out if you prof has a site, simply go to your faculy/department page and there are usually short bios about each one with a link that says 'click to see my homepage'

Physics, for example, has all their prof's sites linked here.
Material Science and Engineering faculty members are listed here.

just look on the mcmaster page and search the department you're interested in...
Old 07-11-2008 at 02:00 PM   #3
Alireza

Hey Temara, I actually meant for the course itself not the profs bio, like this http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/~nejat/1b03w/, when I go on the faculty website for Reza Nejat for example who is the guy teaching the physics course i'm taking, it only shows the bio and not the course itself.
Old 07-11-2008 at 02:03 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

On course websites you can find the course outlines.
Ie. http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...llabi/1D03.pdf
Old 07-11-2008 at 02:17 PM   #5
Alireza

http://www.chemistry.mcmaste r.ca/c...ndex.html#1e03

No course outline for first year, but other years have it :(
Old 07-11-2008 at 06:34 PM   #6
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hi Alireza! Sorry, but I could only find the physics courses for Eng 1 (they're the only ones that have their own websites):

PHYS 1D03: http://physwww.mcmaster.ca/phys1d03/
PHYS 1E03: http://physwww.mcmaster.ca/phys1e03/

The other courses post their course outlines on webCT. Math course outlines used to be posted on Dr. Childs' website ,but he deactivated the links for the summer. And also 08/09 math courses are new so there wouldn't be any course outlines avail. yet, I'm guessing. If you have any questions bout first yr courses feel free to ask! ^_^
Old 07-11-2008 at 07:09 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Haha alright.. I was a bit confused about what would be that helpful about looking up information about profs..
Old 07-14-2008 at 04:10 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Most courses don't actually have their own websites, as everything is on WebCT/Blackboard and you can only access them if you're on the class list.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-15-2008 at 01:06 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Your best bet is to go on Google and type "mcmaster <course code>" and it will bring up the course site (if there is one) or will bring up a pdf of the course outline (if they have it on a webpage somewhere).

Most courses don't have a site and either use LearnLink or WebCT (learning systems you need to log into to see your class lecture notes, etc). But some profs don't like using these and do it on their own because they are tech savvy enough to have a website put together for all their courses which I think is great.
Old 07-15-2008 at 01:21 PM   #10
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

No, Temara was right in saying that if you go to the department website and look up faculty there's a page with their profiles. On that page there is a link to their websites if they have one.
For example: the philosophy profs have a lot of websites, if you click on the link below and look where it says "website" at the bottom of their informatoin you can get to the websites they made which usually talk about the courses that they teach and their contact info.
Philosophy

Old 07-18-2008 at 05:41 PM   #11
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Be a little wary about some course websites during the summer - depending on how on top of things the professor is, the website may or may not be current for next year - you may even find a website made by a professor who is not currently teaching the course. (I actually once had a course website that, for the entire school year, had the wrong course code in the headers )

Also, lots of profs will also link their course webpages through their personal webpages, so that's a good place to look toop

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------