MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Provost Honour Roll Guest253 Academics 2 01-06-2010 10:49 AM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM
Honour M Awards Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-27-2009 09:04 PM
Provost's Honours List zeChinaman Academics 111 03-07-2009 10:07 PM
*cue drum roll* Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-29-2006 03:05 PM

Provost's Honour Roll

Old 12-23-2010 at 10:31 PM   #31
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Godwin's law

Not trying to troll, I agree with you on some points (and not just in this post)
Actually this made my day lol I did not even realize it ... this law wow.. I never heard of it but its so true

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:33 PM   #32
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
Agreed, I am in hate with the health science faculty ... BTW I actually got a 90+ average but denied to be involved with such an uptight, spiteful, horrible faculty.
are u trolling? I can literally feel the jealousy coming out of the screen from the other poster's who would have given anything to be in that program, and you turned it down, seriously?
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:37 PM   #33
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
are u trolling? I can literally feel the jealousy coming out of the screen from the other poster's who would have given anything to be in that program, and you turned it down, seriously?
Lol nah dude, my first semester of grade 12 my average was high 90s, and I didn't even bother applying to health science. Who cares? I don't find that it's anything special.

L'Étoile says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:40 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Godwin's law
Haha I`ve never heard of this! -_- Quite true though
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:40 PM   #35
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
No comment

Old 12-23-2010 at 10:41 PM   #36
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol nah dude, my first semester of grade 12 my average was high 90s, and I didn't even bother applying to health science. Who cares? I don't find that it's anything special.
i thought you wanted to be a doctor? wouldn't this make it exponentially easier?
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:42 PM   #37
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I'm surprised you guys haven't heard of it...

Well, for your pleasure, check out Rule 33 and 34.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:42 PM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
"Other posters"? Yes, because math students really want to go into health sci...you know, we're not actually interested in math - WE REALLY WANT TO BE DOCTORS...I mean, doesn't everyone!?!

nerual likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:42 PM   #39
Kal El

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
I don't have any respect, sorry to be awfully rude.

This world is disgusting, why is marks a measure of one's abilities and such? I have great marks don't get me wrong and I am definitely not jealous for that matter. But I really don't understand why McMaster honors these students? The issue of comparing student marks and recognizing people who have an average of 12 is revolting.

Yes recognizing people with an average above 9.5 to be in the dean's list is nice, but the thing with the 12 average is just disgusting.

These people could be nice and awesome, or could the rudest meanest son of a bit*h you have ever interacted with. I don't think you should respect them just because there average is high. So if Hitler had a sessional average of 12 you would respect him? You can argue and say, "Oh that's not what I meant" but having respect for people who get an average of 12 is very UNRESPECTING to others who did not achieve this average and could be clearly way better people. I actually respect people who go to school and try to develop a career and have to work to pay their school fees and what not. Or Someone with a disability yet achieves academically. These are actually people to be respected.

I am not saying a 12 average is not an achievement, its an academic excellency, but you can't respect that person merely because they achieved a 12 point average. That is revolting.

This is just my honest opinion and I was just offended by the word "respect" I am not trying to you know, offend you or pick on you. If you have respect for them good for you.
Congratulations. You've turned my ritual of voyeurism into a prompt to actually respond to a post.

While I agree with you that some people in academic society are privileged, self satisfied, smug, sons of bitches with a sense of entitlement because of both grades and the fact that daddy has a lot of money, and that most of them gravitate to what some in my homeland refer to as on of "the noble faculties" - you're overlooking the fact that there's a distinct possibility that some of these people might actually deserve it; I know a number of people in Health Sciences on both sides of the Atlantic, and while one might point out that many other faculties get to spend most of their time arsing about and contemplating the meaning and zen of beer pong, Health Science students don't.

One might even go so far as to point out that while other faculties are getting laid and snorting coke while indulging their "experimental phase", the majority of Health Science students are holing themselves away in dorm rooms and apartments everywhere, forcing themselves to stay awake most hours of the night and risking alopecia purely because that's what the faculty and entrance to a decent medical programme demands. I mean sure, we aren't talking string theory or astrophysics here, but we are talking about a group of people who will quite literally hold lives in their hands should they successfully reach their goals, so you'll pardon me if I personally think that a modicum of an overachiever's attitude is more than a little justified, and that it's not entirely wrong to recognise these people when their hard work and literal suffering (crappy diet, baldness, body odour from failing to shower three days in a row...Screwing around with dismembered corpses) is recognised by the university.

In short, pull your head out of your arse and stop generalising. The only people who don't really deserve to be anywhere near a prestige university (that isn't, you'll forgive me, Oxford or Cambridge...No comparison) are the ones that ride on the backs of the students who genuinely want to be there, and spend all their time holding meetings at Bistro because they assume that everyone has a rich daddy and can afford their easy ride lifestyle.

marcie says thanks to Kal El for this post.

Old 12-23-2010 at 10:44 PM   #40
Kal El

Quote:
Yeah. He probably also turned down a Foursome with Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansen and Zooey Deschanel. True story.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:45 PM   #41
sslia

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
I don't have any respect, sorry to be awfully rude.

This world is disgusting, why is marks a measure of one's abilities and such? I have great marks don't get me wrong and I am definitely not jealous for that matter. But I really don't understand why McMaster honors these students? The issue of comparing student marks and recognizing people who have an average of 12 is revolting.

Yes recognizing people with an average above 9.5 to be in the dean's list is nice, but the thing with the 12 average is just disgusting.

These people could be nice and awesome, or could the rudest meanest son of a bit*h you have ever interacted with. I don't think you should respect them just because there average is high. So if Hitler had a sessional average of 12 you would respect him? You can argue and say, "Oh that's not what I meant" but having respect for people who get an average of 12 is very UNRESPECTING to others who did not achieve this average and could be clearly way better people. I actually respect people who go to school and try to develop a career and have to work to pay their school fees and what not. Or Someone with a disability yet achieves academically. These are actually people to be respected.

I am not saying a 12 average is not an achievement, its an academic excellency, but you can't respect that person merely because they achieved a 12 point average. That is revolting.

This is just my honest opinion and I was just offended by the word "respect" I am not trying to you know, offend you or pick on you. If you have respect for them good for you.
Wow.
Did you ever care to think the OP meant to respect the achievement (which, i think all of us can agree is substantial) and not the entirety of the person?
And why is honouring a 9.5 "nice" while a 12 "disgusting"? Because you couldn't get it?
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:49 PM   #42
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
"Other posters"? Yes, because math students really want to go into health sci...you know, we're not actually interested in math - WE REALLY WANT TO BE DOCTORS...I mean, doesn't everyone!?!
i seem to recall you saying something along these lines in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
you could also apply to professional schools - law, medicine (I entered in 'life sciences' and I'm planning on fulfilling the prereqs...in case I feel like applying)
oh how quickly we forget....
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:50 PM   #43
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
Congratulations. You've turned my ritual of voyeurism into a prompt to actually respond to a post.

While I agree with you that some people in academic society are privileged, self satisfied, smug, sons of bitches with a sense of entitlement because of both grades and the fact that daddy has a lot of money, and that most of them gravitate to what some in my homeland refer to as on of "the noble faculties" - you're overlooking the fact that there's a distinct possibility that some of these people might actually deserve it; I know a number of people in Health Sciences on both sides of the Atlantic, and while one might point out that many other faculties get to spend most of their time arsing about and contemplating the meaning and zen of beer pong, Health Science students don't.

One might even go so far as to point out that while other faculties are getting laid and snorting coke while indulging their "experimental phase", the majority of Health Science students are holing themselves away in dorm rooms and apartments everywhere, forcing themselves to stay awake most hours of the night and risking alopecia purely because that's what the faculty and entrance to a decent medical programme demands. I mean sure, we aren't talking string theory or astrophysics here, but we are talking about a group of people who will quite literally hold lives in their hands should they successfully reach their goals, so you'll pardon me if I personally think that a modicum of an overachiever's attitude is more than a little justified, and that it's not entirely wrong to recognise these people when their hard work and literal suffering (crappy diet, baldness, body odour from failing to shower three days in a row...Screwing around with dismembered corpses) is recognised by the university.

In short, pull your head out of your arse and stop generalising. The only people who don't really deserve to be anywhere near a prestige university (that isn't, you'll forgive me, Oxford or Cambridge...No comparison) are the ones that ride on the backs of the students who genuinely want to be there, and spend all their time holding meetings at Bistro because they assume that everyone has a rich daddy and can afford their easy ride lifestyle.
If you read my post carefully I said that some people are actually nice and therefore could deserve the respect, and I was not really talking about the honour or the medal ... I could care less. I was talking about the huge respect she has to those people.

Old 12-23-2010 at 10:51 PM   #44
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
i seem to recall you saying something along these lines in another thread:

oh how quickly we forget....
"in case I feel like applying", of course, is equivalent to "my first choice and primary goal", yes? Math programs are well-known for being the preferred avenue for med school hopefuls...right up there with physics & other programs of similar ease and relevance...

Last edited by Mahratta : 12-23-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:52 PM   #45
Kal El

Quote:
If you read my post carefully I said that some people are actually nice and therefore could deserve the respect, and I was not really talking about the honour or the medal ... I could care less. I was talking about the huge respect she has to those people.
Oh. Yeah. I hate Vbulletin with a passion and clicked the wrong quote. Go me.

Quote:
Agreed, I am in hate with the health science faculty ... BTW I actually got a 90+ average but denied to be involved with such an uptight, spiteful, horrible faculty. I hate health science students. I hate how they assume that we are stupid and don't understand anything. Specially during chemistry labs and such they act like they fu*king know everything and when you ask for help they explain it to you and try to show you how stupid you are! OMG I hate health sci

I think I said that many times
My post was in response to this.