MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Provost's Honours List

Old 02-27-2009 at 11:33 PM   #31
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

In a nutshell, I believe that Health Sci faculty and students are overrated. Just cause you come out of high school with high 90s doesn't mean you start to evaluate yourself and give yourself 11s and 12s, be it one course or many courses. Does the provost committee understand how extremely difficult it is for say an engineer to pull of a 12 in ONE of their gazillion courses?? As a TRUE and HARD-WORKING provost scholarship candidate, one needs to legitimately put in the effort by proving that they can handle a greater and a more difficult workload with more extra-curricular activities. However, this is hardly noticeable in these health sci candidates due to them basically getting a mark advantage and for not doing much work, having a SMALL number of units(30 each year, compared to something like engineering with 40 each year), having an extra advantage in opportunities in research positions and med school against science students, and overall, making life miserable for faculty students who work harder than health sci's but do not appreciated for their efforts.

Its like that 1905 Russian Czar system where health sci's are the bourgeosie who do nothing but get appreciated and other faculties being the poor peasants working their butts off everyday hopelessly.

We need a revolution.

Ps. Sorry for being so aggressive but the truth is always bitter.

Last edited by maclover : 02-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2009 at 12:05 AM   #32
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
There was a comment before that mentioned that perhaps Health Scis have the luxury of extra time to focus on these more difficult prerequisites due to an easier Health Sci-specific course load. A person receiving ~80% in two different courses does not assert that the two courses are similar, so stating that "an average of 75%-85% would" not "be out of the ordinary for HealthSci-specific course" is difficult to compare and back up.
That might not be not true.
However, I was not talking about one person but about a group of 160 students. And I only mentioned one course as an example. Let's put it this way: A group of 160 students has an average of 75%-85% in all the general courses. But for crying out loud, how is it possible that they have that average in their specific course?

And it is arguable if the HealthSci students have that much 'extra time' because of one course that might be a bird course (grade-wise), but you still need to invest a lot of time and research into it.

Anyways, this thread is degenerating into a 'let's bash HealthSci' thread. Entertaining as it may be, let's go back to the original question: Is the list posted anywhere?
Old 02-28-2009 at 12:37 AM   #33
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
That might not be not true.
However, I was not talking about one person but about a group of 160 students. And I only mentioned one course as an example. Let's put it this way: A group of 160 students has an average of 75%-85% in all the general courses. But for crying out loud, how is it possible that they have that average in their specific course?
Not sure what you mean by general and specific courses.
Health sci course averages are 75%-85%, for the whole class (not just 1st year courses, but all of them).
Courses like chem, and every other non-health sci course in this university, where there are people from all faculties, have course averages of 65-75.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

Quote:
And it is arguable if the HealthSci students have that much 'extra time' because of one course that might be a bird course (grade-wise),
Grades are inflated in ALL health sci courses.

Quote:
but you still need to invest a lot of time and research into it.
Of course they have to do work. Just they are given higher marks relative to others.

Quote:
Anyways, this thread is degenerating into a 'let's bash HealthSci' thread. Entertaining as it may be, let's go back to the original question: Is the list posted anywhere?
I think I wrote this before, but I don't think there is a list. Just some students get it and it is written on their grade report.
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:49 AM   #34
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I agree it would have been nice to see a bigger mix of recipients in the article... BOTH were from Health Sci which makes it seem unbalanced. Where they unable to get a quote from someone not in health sci? The article says students from all faculties were there.

If anyone else has more info I'd sure like to know
This is exactly the point. I know health sci is pretty much McMaster's 'baby' so to speak, but this university is made up of way more than only health sci students. Other faculties are completely underrepresented, especially if you just read the article on its own.

Woody, as for that proof you wanted about the 'I'm the best' mentality people tend to have, I'll get to that later. ^^

I do have the complete listing, but apparently, there's already supposed to be one posted up somewhere, but I have yet to find it. :/
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:57 AM   #35
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Did a sweep of the McMaster website and tried every possible place to find the list of this year's winners. ... Nadda.

Did find a pretty picture though
Old 02-28-2009 at 11:50 AM   #36
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I'm curious as to how many of those students are from the Faculty of Science. They should publish some statistics.
Old 02-28-2009 at 07:14 PM   #37
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

In total, I don't think there were even 10 people from science. If I remember correctly, there was one person for Level I, two people for Level II, none for Level III and maaaaybe three for Level IV.
Old 02-28-2009 at 08:44 PM   #38
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Why are so many people here complaining about the marks that other people are getting?
Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your energy to improving your own marks rather than bashing those who are (rightfully) being congratulated for their hard work?

Just a thought.

TLulu likes this.
Old 02-28-2009 at 09:11 PM   #39
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
Why are so many people here complaining about the marks that other people are getting?
Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your energy to improving your own marks rather than bashing those who are (rightfully) being congratulated for their hard work?

Just a thought.
>Matt Tenenbaum
>BHSS Off-Campus Coordinator
>SRA Bylaws and Procedures Committee
>Bachelor of Health Sciences III
dhohohoho

steps2health says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:04 PM   #40
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Did a sweep of the McMaster website and tried every possible place to find the list of this year's winners. ... Nadda.
I don't know. This just seems WEIRD.

It really seems like the school is just honoring Health Sci, which...as someone said earlier, there are people here other than Health Sci's.

I emailed the Daily News and asked them for information on how long the award has been awarded, a list of past participants, the years of the recipients, the faculties of the recipients etc.

I want to see if I'm worth a reply.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 02-28-2009 at 10:11 PM.

myoozik says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:18 PM   #41
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

the health sci's I met were the most boring of all the boring students at this school :(
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:20 PM   #42
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps2health View Post
the health sci's I met were the most boring of all the boring students at this school :(
Regardless of what profound conclusions come out from this thread (read: none), I think this dialogue has raised some interesting points of view:

-Health Sciences students are disliked by a small sample of students at McMaster for arbitrary reasons of which most are completely unfounded
-There are a lot of misconceptions of the pedagogy of the program
-The Daily News should have aimed for "faculty-neutrality" when writing the piece which is sad to consider since it assumes an "us and them" environment that is perceptibly inherent amongst undergraduates at McMaster
-Everyone should lighten up as it's only one article

For any students who've been verbally berated by BHSc students for being from a different faculty/studying something different, I'm apologetic. I'm sure it has happened since 18-22 year olds can be child-like and petty.

Nevertheless, I'm infuriated at the accusations that are being thrown around by those who aren't in the program and are basing their comments on hearsay. Before you start slinging mud, clean it off first.

Last edited by casey.park : 03-01-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Adding actual content to my post

lorend, Saleha, TLulu all say thanks to casey.park for this post.
Old 02-28-2009
steps2health
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:30 PM   #43
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

lol my post was deleted already, PC much?
Old 02-28-2009 at 10:32 PM   #44
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post

Just a thought.
this is why healthsci students are great.