MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a few courses after graduating aani Academics 2 03-21-2011 07:40 PM
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM

Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses

Members have rated post #242336 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:35 PM   #1
jjae0958

Liked: 1 Time

Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses
from time to time, many undergrads have this conversation of "taking a course because you are passionate about it" vs "taking a course to maximize chances of a high GPA for med school" and the discussion invariably ends up weighing the merits of both sides and (in the end) how a happy medium has to be struck throughout one's undergrad career.

a lot of premeds face this predicament and run questions like these thru their minds and close friends privately. many premeds "strategize" to some extent when it comes to course selection even though they dont make it public due to fear of being judged.

what i dont understand is why certain people feel the need to belittle/judge premeds like ones described above for thinking in this manner.

I mean, who are you to say others are "wrong" for taking certain courses because you may not agree with their rationale?

the last thing I need is a lecture on why it's wrong to take courses just to fulfill med school requirements. I'm pretty sure many premeds are well aware of these considerations. Many premeds go thru this conversation every course selection period.

Anyways, my apologies for the long post...I just resent the fact that I have to defend taking certain courses to certain people. Ultimately, I know I should just go about my own life...without paying too much attention to how others perceive my actionns, etc. but still.....do you know what I mean?

This is a touchy topic to be sure. Feel free to relate, add on, disagree. I am open to other perspectives - I will try to be open-minded about this whole thing.

haha Thanks for reading

AmyLia likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:41 PM   #2
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I think you have every right to strategize. Why not maximize your potential? Anyone putting you down is probably just jealous.
Old 05-15-2011 at 12:32 AM   #3
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I think it would be odd if you didn't take courses that would give you a higher CA. This concept isn't limited to people considering medical school - a lot of people pursuing graduate studies try to take the easiest courses possible for them in order to increase their chances of having a better average when applying to programs. Most of my friends that want to go on to graduate studies are doing this, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing, personally. Don't let it get to you.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2011 at 01:41 AM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjae0958 View Post
from time to time, many undergrads have this conversation of "taking a course because you are passionate about it" vs "taking a course to maximize chances of a high GPA for med school" and the discussion invariably ends up weighing the merits of both sides and (in the end) how a happy medium has to be struck throughout one's undergrad career.
I think you misunderstand the advice people are trying to give. While it may be a good idea to avoid GPA destroyers, it may not be a good idea to take courses just because they might be a GPA booster. Why do I say this? Because if you don't like or even hate the subject you're taking you might just end up not doing as well as you thought and end up unhappy with no GPA advantage.
Old 05-15-2011 at 04:55 AM   #5
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

For most of the time if you're taking a course that you are passionate about, you'll get a good mark BECAUSE you'll be willing to spend more time on that subject.

Like econ 1B03, I'd love to take it but I've seen the material, it's soooooo dry to me and I'm pretty sure I'll fall asleep every lecture.

Carefree likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 08:12 AM   #6
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Don't say the 'M' word to anyone, they'll give you cut eye if you mention it too much =]. Plus you're more likely to achieve your goal when you don't tell it to too many people, because if you announce it to the world, you're left with an expectation to get in, and if you don't you'll perceive yourself as a failure. I'm a strong believer of knowing what you're getting yourself into before actually doing it, so take the time to figure our what you enjoy doing, studying, etc.

So my advice, follow your passions and discover what you REALLY want, you know do some real soul searching, but keep your mouth sealed about your intentions, throw away the key, and only take it out when you need it.
Old 05-15-2011 at 09:02 AM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
what i dont understand is why certain people feel the need to belittle/judge premeds like ones described above for thinking in this manner.
I don't understand that either.

Also, I don't understand why some people feel the need to judge those that judge said premeds by posting online rants.

...?! likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 09:43 AM   #8
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I think the main question I have about "strategizing" is what happens if you don't get in? I know the demand coupled with the very little number of spots makes it so a lot of qualified people are left out. But if you are left out with a degree that specializes in things you don't care about...then what?

I have a lot of friends that end up going into teaching or doing their masters and I wonder if its because thats what they wanted to do or because they felt they had to do it to make the ends justify the means.

I'm not judging, these are just questions that I've wondered about. I have seen a lot of my friends work they asses off to get into med school and there is nothing but respect coming from me.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:07 AM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

I mean, who are you to say others are "wrong" for taking certain courses because you may not agree with their rationale?

the last thing I need is a lecture on why it's wrong to take courses just to fulfill med school requirements. I'm pretty sure many premeds are well aware of these considerations. Many premeds go thru this conversation every course selection period.
It is perceived as taking the 'easy way out'. If you take a ton of easy courses to boost your GPA, your GPA is worth less than someone who takes harder courses, but that isn't usually taken into account by med school admission committees, hence people being very annoyed when they see others "cheating" in this way. There are people who go into very difficult programs or who are in 'easier' programs but take a ton of harder courses because they are interested in the topics or they feel this will make them a better doctor (there is a difference between being a better doctor and having a better med school application), and they end up having to work way harder to make up for it.

And then, would you really want a doctor who took the easy way out, took as many bird courses as possible and coasted through, or would you want someone with a good work ethic who likely gained important knowledge and other useful skills from the 'hard' courses they took.

I've seen lazy people with extremely high averages get rejected from med school while people with lower averages who work their asses off get accepted. I'm sure the opposite also happens. At the end of the day, it's your life, so do what you want with it.

Old 05-15-2011 at 10:30 AM   #10
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It is perceived as taking the 'easy way out'. If you take a ton of easy courses to boost your GPA, your GPA is worth less than someone who takes harder courses, but that isn't usually taken into account by med school admission committees, hence people being very annoyed when they see others "cheating" in this way. There are people who go into very difficult programs or who are in 'easier' programs but take a ton of harder courses because they are interested in the topics or they feel this will make them a better doctor (there is a difference between being a better doctor and having a better med school application), and they end up having to work way harder to make up for it.

And then, would you really want a doctor who took the easy way out, took as many bird courses as possible and coasted through, or would you want someone with a good work ethic who likely gained important knowledge and other useful skills from the 'hard' courses they took.

I've seen lazy people with extremely high averages get rejected from med school while people with lower averages who work their asses off get accepted. I'm sure the opposite also happens. At the end of the day, it's your life, so do what you want with it.
jealous person right here guys.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:36 AM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydVicious View Post
jealous person right here guys.
I have zero desire to go to med school.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:38 AM   #12
SydVicious
Account Locked

Quote:

1) So why do you take the hard courses, it seems like common sense to give yourself the best chance of getting in.

2) thats such a pretentious thing to say, why don't we leave it to the interviewers/ppl who review the applications to judge who will be a better doctor.

3)Yes

4)That means absolutely nothing (Other than you trying to discourage ppl from taking the easy route)
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:39 AM   #13
SydVicious
Account Locked

Quote:
I have zero desire to go to med school.
sorry for assuming, but why are you judging others, aren't you happy with your program?
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:46 AM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydVicious View Post
1) So why do you take the hard courses, it seems like common sense to give yourself the best chance of getting in.

2) thats such a pretentious thing to say, why don't we leave it to the interviewers/ppl who review the applications to judge who will be a better doctor.

3)Yes

4)That means absolutely nothing (Other than you trying to discourage ppl from taking the easy route)
1) I don't want to go to med school. I take courses I enjoy.
2) There is a huge difference. The interview/acceptance process is not perfect.
3) I think you're saying this just to be argumentative. Without knowing anything more about the person, you can't actually make an informed decision as to which doctor you'd prefer. All else being equal, I'd prefer the hardworking doctor. ymmv.
4) All it means is that the system isn't perfect. Taking bird courses doesn't guarantee you'll get into med school.

Quote:
sorry for assuming, but why are you judging others, aren't you happy with your program?

I love my program. The OP asked why people frown upon premed kids taking easy courses. That is the logic. Whether or not you like or agree with it, that is what many people think.

crazyfree, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:48 AM   #15
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

Honestly, if I were a patient I would want the doctor who took the bird courses ... cause that shows s/he had the common sense to maximize his or her chances. I wouldn't mind the so-called 'nerd' who was able to get in even with taking hard courses, but who wouldn't want a doctor who has common sense. Our education system currently is geared to people who just memorize information and take study hard .... I love it when people who are just as qualified but smarter in other areas get in ...