MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a few courses after graduating aani Academics 2 03-21-2011 07:40 PM
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM

Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses

Members have rated post #242336 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:47 PM   #46
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

The completion rate of medical school is very high and so is the rate of matching and completing residency. While there is a lot of hard work ahead, the admissions process is competitive enough that even the people who "take the easy rode" still have to be pretty qualified for a spot. Combined with a Physician shortage, this pretty much means those who get in at a Canadian medical school will end up with a job. (Hence why banks give lines of credit at reasonable rates and terms to medical students). Meanwhile there are far more PhD's than professorships.

jjae0958 likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:47 PM   #47
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It doesn't matter what your literal words meant ("Math professor: Job" isn't exactly the most technical piece of language to graze these forums) because you were commenting on Mahratta's post, where he was talking about the road to a math professorship. And given that you were trying to attack his argument, there are one of two possibilities:

A) You did actually mean the road to being a math professor, and so my post is relevant.

B) You're talking about irrelevant gibberish (being a math professor) and neither of our posts are relevant.
Old 05-15-2011 at 10:53 PM   #48
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
It doesn't matter what your literal words meant ("Math professor: Job" isn't exactly the most technical piece of language to graze these forums) because you were commenting on Mahratta's post, where he was talking about the road to a math professorship. And given that you were trying to attack his argument, there are one of two possibilities:

A) You did actually mean the road to being a math professor, and so my post is relevant.

B) You're talking about irrelevant gibberish (being a math professor) and neither of our posts are relevant.
Mahratta was comparing the road to professorship and the road to being a medical doctor. Yet he was using Med school to support his argument. Med school is a part of the road to practice the profession of a medical doctor.

Do not assume I was trying to mean something else. You need to learn how to read. The road to math professorship (as you have explained), contains the achievement of obtaining a PhD and the competition to get the job.

You have attacked me because you assumed I was referring to half the road while I was referring to all of it (including the competition).

Quote:
In academia, the competitive aspect occurs after getting your PhD.
Isn't that part of the road to being a professor ? Why are you arguing if I did not claim that getting a PhD means getting a job as a professor and if road to professorship includes both PhD and competition ?

Last edited by Icecream : 05-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:00 PM   #49
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Do not assume I was trying to mean something.
Great, so from now on I have conclusive proof that everything you say is utter bullshit.

Quote:
You have attacked me...
To this point, I've tried to be polite, and I can't say the same for you. Nice PM, afraid to say things in public?
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:04 PM   #50
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
EDIT : Actually, I was not wrong. I did not claim Phd Implies employment but that Mathematic Professor is a JOB. Professor is the job of teaching, and in the West, it implies university/college teaching. You just wasted your time posting.
In any case, whatever that post contained held equally well with 'math PhD' substituted for 'math professor', so your point doesn't even hold.

Old 05-15-2011 at 11:05 PM   #51
Icecream
Account Locked

As a matter of fact, you have already lost the argument when you assumed that professorship is not a profession.

You have also failed to realize that the road to professorship does not only include obtaining a PhD.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:07 PM   #52
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
As a matter of fact, you have already lost the argument when you assumed that professorship is not a profession.
What are you talking about?

Quote:
You have also failed to realize that the road to professorship does not only include obtaining a PhD.
Again, what on earth are you on about?

To clarify, since apparently my first post wasn't worded precisely enough for Icecream:

The profession of medicine (whatever specialty) is very much comparable to the profession of professorship. Given this hypothesis (I can't wait until icecream provides a nonsensical argument about the use of the word 'hypothesis'), it follows that their paths are comparable, and thus the process of getting into graduate school is comparable with the process of getting into medical school. The relative difficulties of graduate and medical school were not part of my post, although, as an aside, medical schools do tend to have lower dropout rates.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-15-2011 at 11:13 PM.

arathbon likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:08 PM   #53
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
In any case, whatever that post contained held equally well with 'math PhD' substituted for 'math professor', so your point doesn't even hold.
That is not true.

Show me one argument or one statement which made me claim that Math PhD = Math Professor.

The only thing you can do is launch attacks and assume I said something without any quotes.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:10 PM   #54
Mowicz
Elite Member

Can this kid dress himself? Seriously now, you're contradicting yourself left and right:

EXHIBIT A:

Quote:
EXHIBIT B (about 3 posts below it):

Quote:
The road to math professorship (as you have explained), contains the achievement of obtaining a PhD and the competition to get the job.
In math we have a symbol for that:

=><=

Eternal Fire, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:12 PM   #55
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
That is not true.

Show me one argument or one statement which made me claim that Math PhD = Math Professor.
Do you even read the posts? I didn't say anything about you or your claims about 'math PhD = math professor'.

nerual likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:16 PM   #56
Icecream
Account Locked

Alright...

THEN WHY THE **** ?

Why the Hell did you claim that I said that having a PhD in Mathematics does guarantee you a job as a professor ?

I did not claim that. I claimed that Math professorship is a profession and you cannot compare that with something who just came out of Med School (because there is a ****ING CLERKSHIP.)

EDIT : Fixed. It is not easy to reply to nonsense posted by 2 irrational folks.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:18 PM   #57
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Why the Hell did you claim that I said that having a PhD in Mathematics does not guarantee you a job as a professor ?
Nobody claims you said that. That's what I posted.

Looks like you better keep those DVDs son.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:20 PM   #58
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Do you even read the posts? I didn't say anything about you or your claims about 'math PhD = math professor'.
But you did claim my posts made people think I was equalizing a PhD with a profession.

I was not. And you have yet to show a quote which supports your illogical claim.

Someone explain to me how the following is not true (yes this is a quote) :

Quote:
Mathematics Professor : Job.

Finishing Medical School : You do not have a job yet.
I know Folks who finish Med School tend to practice medical professions but you cannot compare the hardships since you forgot the clerkship.

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE

Compare clerkship + medschool to the road to professorship.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:20 PM   #59
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Nobody claims you said that. That's what I posted.
OK, good - Icecream doesn't know what's going on. I'm not that high.

arathbon, Mowicz like this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 11:23 PM   #60
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
But you did claim my posts made people think I was equalizing a PhD with a profession.
I've only made a couple of posts addressing you, and none of them contain anything of that sort.

Quote:
I was not. And you have yet to show a quote which supports your illogical claim.
A quote for what?

Quote:
I know Folks who finish Med School tend to practice medical professions but you cannot compare the hardships since you forgot the clerkship.

Compare clerkship + medschool with road to professorship.
I'm equating the MD with the PhD and the subsequent medical paths before practice to the subsequent fellowships, etc. before professorship.

EDIT: attempting to clarify my points.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-16-2011 at 04:55 PM.