MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a few courses after graduating aani Academics 2 03-21-2011 07:40 PM
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM

Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses

Members have rated post #242336 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:00 AM   #76
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

One thing before i make myself scarce, has anyone noticed Icecream's red herring about how much physicians are compensated?
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:05 AM   #77
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Posted by Mahratta :

Quote:
Well, here's my rationale for doing precisely that.

Consider the options of a non-premed (I don't know about law, so let's say 'non-prelaw' as well). For example, take someone in my own program (as I'm most familiar with the options). If they take enough easy courses to bring up their GPAs, they won't have a shot at getting into graduate school and landing a "good", relatively high-paying job in mathematics. So they've got to distinguish themselves in more difficult courses if they want their undergraduate work to pay more dividends (i.e. get into graduate school). Let's now look at this in terms of social factors. In these terms, if I want to make a (financial) living anywhere close to as cushy as that of a doctor, I've got to do a hell of a lot of hard work in my undergraduate years, and I don't get to take 'Big Questions' or 'Waters' or 'Gemstones' to lighten the load. There is no easy way to a mathematics professorship, or a good physics job, or a cushy chemistry placement. There is an easy way to medical school.

This concern, I think, is shared by many non-premeds. I wouldn't say it's irrational at all to hold it.
Conclusion : Compares the way to get a job with the way to get into a school.
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:36 AM   #78
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
And so much appeal to flattery by Mowicz.
Do I dare ask?

And how about you and your love affair with Ad Hominem?
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:43 AM   #79
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Do I dare ask?

And how about you and your love affair with Ad Hominem?
I did not claim you were wrong because you attacked me.

Rather, I claimed you were wrong because you base your assumptions on something I have never written. (I never said that PhD= job) <--- Your first claim. Burden of Proof

Your signature is an example of Ad Hominem Tu Quoque.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-16-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:56 AM   #80
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
I did not claim you were wrong because you attacked me.
Proof or it didn't happen.

Quote:
Rather, I claimed you were wrong because you base your assumptions on something I have never written. (I never said that PhD= job) <--- Your first claim. Burden of Proof
I think the burden of proof falls on you here, namely, to demonstrate where I have "attacked you" and to point out where my "argument" hinges on the fact that you allegedly said "PhD = job."

I don't even know what you think my argument is...but you've bastardized so much in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought I was trying to prove zebras are brown.

Quote:
Your signature is an example of Ad Hominem Tu Quoque.
My signature is not part of my "argument" unless you're claiming my argument is that you don't know how not to contradict yourself. If so, then you've very clearly demonstrated that you can indeed contradict yourself, and then yes, my signature can be taken as evidence to support that.

You need to read about logic a little more.

EDIT: And I'd still like to see where I've appealed to flattery.
Old 05-16-2011 at 01:09 AM   #81
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Proof or it didn't happen.

I think the burden of proof falls on you here, namely, to demonstrate where I have "attacked you" and to point out where my "argument" hinges on the fact that you allegedly said "PhD = job."
You claimed I committed Ad Hominem and that I mentioned that PhD is associated to having a job.. You have the burden.

Your signature is not an argument but this is (ad Hominem Tu Quoque):

Quote:
Great, so from now on I have conclusive proof that everything you say is utter bullshit.

Proof that you claim I said PhD implies a job.

Quote:
Perhaps it used to be true, 30-40 years ago, that getting a PhD implied employment.
followed by

Quote:
You did actually mean the road to being a math professor, and so my post is relevant.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-16-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 06:35 AM  
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-16-2011 at 10:23 AM   #82
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Okay I didn't read all the posts above, I have a life and a job, but it seems to me like the people above like the job security that getting an MD allows. Yeah that might be the case but think about how much of your life you have to sacrifice, talk about lessening the quality of life! lucky for me I'm well connected enough in the field of business, and enough of a smooth talker, and have enough common sense to do something I love, and am sure to get employed quickly.

everyone else who doesn't have that option (apparently need to get phd/md) sucks to be you, and I'll be sure to wave to you guys on the bus while I drive by you in my beamer. Or maybe you won't see me because I'll be vacationing in jamaica. hahaha.

Icecream, jjae0958 like this.
Old 05-16-2011 at 10:27 AM  
Icecream
Account Locked

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-16-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:48 PM  
jjae0958

Liked: 1 Time

I like the diversity of opinions here.

What makes me scowl is people personally attacking each other...and unwilling to see other people's views and perhaps admit one's mistakes - or at least consider their perspectives.

I also resent the people ganging up on IceCream. It's easy to pick on one person when you have multiple people supporting you on your side.

IceCream is speaking his/her mind and in my mind, and I respect that despite what everyone else here says. Where I agree with his/her points is beside the point.
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:50 PM  
jjae0958

Edit:

*whether I agree with
Old 05-16-2011 at 04:25 PM   #83
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

I can't tell if syd is a troll or stupid.
Old 05-16-2011 at 04:52 PM   #84
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjae0958
I also resent the people ganging up on IceCream. It's easy to pick on one person when you have multiple people supporting you on your side.
Initially, no-one was 'picking on' Icecream. Various forumers responded to his original post, and he then proceeded to repeat the same post without considering their points while throwing in the occasional Latin name for a particular logical fallacy (where it doesn't apply, may I add).

Quote:
IceCream is speaking his/her mind and in my mind, and I respect that despite what everyone else here says.
If you read IceCream's original post, you'll see that it was an argument about word choice. I responded to his original post by clarification. He then proceeded to ignore all my subsequent posts and continue repeating his original point (adding more capital letters, exclamation marks, personal attacks and expletives as time progressed) before agreeing with my (and Mowicz') original comparison...and then continued arguing for some reason.

I've learned from prior experience with Icecream that there's no point responding after a period of time.

arathbon likes this.
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:13 PM   #85
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I can't tell if syd is a troll or stupid.
It looks like the second one, but I really think is the first one if you look at his previous posts. Trust me, he's a troll.
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:22 PM   #86
jjae0958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post

Initially, no-one was 'picking on' Icecream. Various forumers responded to his original post, and he then proceeded to repeat the same post without considering their points while throwing in the occasional Latin name for a particular logical fallacy (where it doesn't apply, may I add).

If you read IceCream's original post, you'll see that it was an argument about word choice. I responded to his original post by clarification. He then proceeded to ignore all my subsequent posts and continue repeating his original point (adding more capital letters, exclamation marks, personal attacks and expletives as time progressed) before agreeing with my (and Mowicz') original comparison...and then continued arguing for some reason.

I've learned from prior experience with Icecream that there's no point responding after a period of time.
ya ya yaya, whatever

you seem like the type of person who has a lot to say in an argument no matter what the other person says. you are going to have some sort of a "comeback" no matter what anyone says.

You seem like an articulate, intelligent person though.

But whether you are right or wrong, it'd be nice if you care more about others' feelings. You dont have to come off so aggressive to make your point...even if you may be right.

alright? Im done. You can come up with a smart ass reply with mini quotations, dissecting every one of my sentence and why Im wrong. I dont care. Im exhausted. Let's move on.