Stats 3Y03

Stats 3Y03
Statistics for Engineers
Published by micadjems
04-09-2009
Published by
Awesome Member

Stats 3Y03

Dr. MacDonald was absolutely amazing. He really knows and is interested in what he teaches. A very kind prof, who can be found on facebook!, and has many interesting stories.

The course deals a lot with programming in R, so having some programming skills from first year remaining is a good thing. Enlisting the help of a software/computer/tron student could be a good idea just for working out the syntax if anything. One of the most tedious things in R is that often times you cannot find the function you're looking for and you have to guess at what it's named.

Later in the course, there is less programming and more theory, which makes it a bit confusing, as one has to go from R to computing by hand with their calculator and tables in the textbook for the exam.

3 tests, 10% each.
5 Assignments totalling 10%
Exam 60%

Seems like it could be a useful course to my life at some point, should I ever have to deal with a data set.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Stats 3Y03!

Old 04-09-2009 at 09:43 AM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Lucky you! I had Dr. He whose teaching ability is abysmal at best. While I'm sure that he has much experience and is a well respected scholar, that doesn't help me any when he cannot coherently get his point across.

I'm dreading this exam.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:42 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
FYI I heard they do not program in R anymore - it's all hand done (as it was on the exam when I did it)
Old 01-04-2012 at 02:40 PM   #4
Omar_Abojo

Liked: 0 Times
Any more information for this course? last info was in 2009 :(

Old 01-04-2012 at 06:14 PM   #5
camais

Liked: 30 Times
childs was supposed to be running the course this semester but he got switched with asma...
Old 01-05-2012 at 12:08 AM   #6
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
childs was supposed to be running the course this semester but he got switched with asma...
Apparently, this has been the case for last 3 years.
Old 04-07-2012 at 12:13 AM   #7
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times
Should have been Childs...
As much as I feel for new professors, this course was horribly run this semester. I attended a handful of lectures and of those they were very poor.

Dr. Asma knows her stuff but was not confident in delivering the material or answering questions. All notes were examples from the textbook that I was better off just reading on my own.

The test formats were almost/if not identical to the practice tests which was great for people just in it for the easy marks, but no value was gained. It felt as though she just wanted to appease everyone by throwing marks at everyone, but I feel like I have not taken anything away from this course, which is unfortunate.

Not pleased this year.
Old 04-09-2012 at 01:46 AM   #8
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times
Hi, can anyone please give me some insight regarding the final exam for this course? like which part of the course was stressed upon the most in the exam and any study tips that could be helpful while preparing for the exam?
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:51 AM   #9
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times
Hi, on the Titles website, it says the 'PKG: PROBABILITY AND STATS FOR ENGINEERS AND SCIENCE TEXT + SSM + MINITAB' is required for this course. What's the SSM + MINITAB? Do we need those? Is the textbook all we need or do we even need that?
Old 08-25-2012 at 12:01 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
Hi, on the Titles website, it says the 'PKG: PROBABILITY AND STATS FOR ENGINEERS AND SCIENCE TEXT + SSM + MINITAB' is required for this course. What's the SSM + MINITAB? Do we need those? Is the textbook all we need or do we even need that?
You only need the text. You can do your minitab assignments in the computer labs (IAHS library is the best place imo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1390 View Post
As much as I feel for new professors, this course was horribly run this semester. I attended a handful of lectures and of those they were very poor.

Dr. Asma knows her stuff but was not confident in delivering the material or answering questions. All notes were examples from the textbook that I was better off just reading on my own.

The test formats were almost/if not identical to the practice tests which was great for people just in it for the easy marks, but no value was gained. It felt as though she just wanted to appease everyone by throwing marks at everyone, but I feel like I have not taken anything away from this course, which is unfortunate.

Not pleased this year.
While I agree that the tests were especially easy, I felt I learned a heck of a lot. While I was disappointed with the lectures for the most part, she spent a lot of time actually explaining things, which is what most professors lack... I felt it was a decent 'intro' course, considering I don't remember ever learning stats in the mandatory math courses or high school before this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search