MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I find this student with their student number? omgwtfitsp General Discussion 9 03-17-2012 12:27 PM
student number? mimi8330 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-08-2011 11:55 AM
Student number vs. Student ID number tofutchi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-06-2011 11:51 PM

Student Number Confidentiality

Old 06-17-2012 at 12:42 PM   #1
BenLee

Liked: 0 Times

Student Number Confidentiality
How confiential are student-numbers meant to be?
What could someone do/see if they had your student number?

I ask because there's an open google doc which I'm meant to insert my student Number, but it's public to anyone who looks at the doc (theres probably 60 other people's numbers already there)

thanks
Old 06-17-2012 at 12:57 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Some classes require you to input your student number into avenue so if someone has your student number, then I believe they could see your grades for that particular class.
Old 06-17-2012 at 01:06 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

TBH your student number isnt that incredibly confidential. you need to put it on a lot of forms for clubs, classes, etc
but never give out your MacID password.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-17-2012 at 02:01 PM   #4
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Yeah student numbers aren't that big a deal. Mac ID and passwords are important though, you shouldn't be giving those out. Also I don't believe people can check your grades using just your student ID.
Old 06-17-2012 at 02:38 PM   #5
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
Yeah student numbers aren't that big a deal. Mac ID and passwords are important though, you shouldn't be giving those out. Also I don't believe people can check your grades using just your student ID.
Depends on the class/prof. For example with Dr. Day for psych 2AP3 you would input your student number and see your mark on the midterm. Same with Dr. Ullal, he would post up a form with all the students #s and the marks beside each number, same with Math 1LS3.

But either way I highly doubt people would concern themselves with your marks..
Old 06-17-2012 at 03:08 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Other than classes that display your grades based on student number, I can't really think of any other important reason to keep your student number confidential. And I disagree about the need for keeping your macID private, especially since your Mac email is [email protected] , your password on the other hand is obviously something to be kept to yourself

xxsumz says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-17-2012 at 03:11 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt93 View Post
Depends on the class/prof. For example with Dr. Day for psych 2AP3 you would input your student number and see your mark on the midterm. Same with Dr. Ullal, he would post up a form with all the students #s and the marks beside each number, same with Math 1LS3.

But either way I highly doubt people would concern themselves with your marks..
Yes, but if you object to marks being posted by student number, all you have to do is inform the prof and they will give you your marks another way. Posting marks by student number can't be mandatory.

It's really how private you choose to make it.
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:12 AM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Some classes require you to input your student number into avenue so if someone has your student number, then I believe they could see your grades for that particular class.
key missing point: to get into avenue, you need to have the macID and password so i dont think that this is too much of an issue.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:33 AM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

^You have to be on your own avenue for the student number thing to work? That would be kind of a waste. Why not just have it under the grades section then?
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:43 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^You have to be on your own avenue for the student number thing to work? That would be kind of a waste. Why not just have it under the grades section then?
it is under the grades section as you stated. i dont know what method of mark retrieval they are referring to up there:S
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:04 AM   #11
Nine

Liked: 1 Time

If you have a meal plan, other people can use your student number to pay for meal-plan-eligible items (ie at Bridge's, MUSC, Centro, etc). Cashiers aren't supposed to accept student numbers, but sometimes they do.
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:13 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
it is under the grades section as you stated. i dont know what method of mark retrieval they are referring to up there:S
Courses I've taken that aren't on avenue but are on learnlink post all the grades in a file. They use the student number next to the grades to keep things as anonymous has possible.

I've also has professors on Avenue not use the grade feature of the website but rather also uploads a word document with all the grades. My guess is that it's less of a hassle than inputting the grades for every person.
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:17 AM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Courses I've taken that aren't on avenue but are on learnlink post all the grades in a file. They use the student number next to the grades to keep things as anonymous has possible.

I've also has professors on Avenue not use the grade feature of the website but rather also uploads a word document with all the grades. My guess is that it's less of a hassle than inputting the grades for every person.
Yeah i understand that, but you never need your student number to login to get those grades. you just need to know your student number so that you know which one is yours thats why i dont get why someone was saying that someone could use your student number to login to get your grades.
Personally i dont care if someone knows my marks So if someone sees them, then a big ol' kudos to them haha
Old 06-18-2012 at 12:43 PM   #14
Silver
Elite Member

^No, you're mistaken. Sometimes you have to input your student number on avenue to see your grades. That is what I, along with others, are referring to.