MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Nursing jeboi7 Academics 4 09-18-2011 03:27 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Switching to nursing program sanahsameen Academics 1 01-28-2009 02:10 PM
Switching into Nursing katie_batt Academics 1 06-15-2008 12:55 PM

Switching to nursing

Old 10-07-2013 at 12:48 AM   #1
capa774

Liked: 0 Times

Switching to nursing
Hello everybody!

Okay, so I'm a first year environ. sci student at mcmasters. I'm thinking about switching into nursing second year. Basically, I'm wondering how I would go about doing that; what average would I need/extra apps/spots available/courses I'd need to take/etc

I do realize that I would have to start with first year nursing. Also, I am aware of the accelerated nursing program, but I'm more interested in taking the four year program.

Advice, tips, essential information... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-07-2013 at 09:34 AM   #2
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Hey!

You would have to apply here http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/bscn/ and fill out the supplementary application. If you are planning on applying to the Mohawk site, which is the same program and same degree but your Nursing courses are taken at McMaster's IAHS building, you would need to apply through OCAS. Just a heads up that transferring into nursing is very competitive and they take very few people with university backgrounds (I went through this process last year). If you really have your heart set on Nursing at McMaster I'd definitely recommend applying to the Mohawk site as well to increase your chances of getting accepted!!

Since you will have already taken some courses at mac, you will most likely get transfer credits for your electives!

If you have any questions feel free to message me!

capa774 says thanks to jamiebenyovi for this post.

capa774 likes this.
Old 10-07-2013 at 12:23 PM   #3
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Why does everyone seem to choose posting a question on MacInsiders about their academic careers instead of seeking an ACADEMIC advisor's opinion? What are we paying them for if people are too lazy to get off their asses and book an appointment?
Old 10-07-2013 at 05:49 PM   #4
capa774

Liked: 0 Times

Dear BenDover, I don't even know why you'd bother wasting time to post such a comment, but I do know that an academic advisor is a good person to speak to. I also know that MacInsiders is rather informative, and I see nothing wrong with using the resources available to you.

So thank you, but next time, don't bother creating a post that's just about as creative, and as useful, as that username of yours.

And thank you Jamie! I might just shoot you a few messages later.
Old 10-07-2013 at 10:02 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa774 View Post
Dear BenDover, I don't even know why you'd bother wasting time to post such a comment, but I do know that an academic advisor is a good person to speak to. I also know that MacInsiders is rather informative, and I see nothing wrong with using the resources available to you.

So thank you, but next time, don't bother creating a post that's just about as creative, and as useful, as that username of yours.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand where Ben is coming from. An endless amount of people continually ask questions on these forums that are only suited for an academic advisor to answer. Dealing with transfers from program X to Y really would fall under the expertise of an academic advisor. And an academic advisor is who you truly need to seek help from in this instance.
Old 10-07-2013 at 10:28 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand where Ben is coming from. An endless amount of people continually ask questions on these forums that are only suited for an academic advisor to answer. Dealing with transfers from program X to Y really would fall under the expertise of an academic advisor. And an academic advisor is who you truly need to seek help from in this instance.
most forums such as macinsiders, premed, etc, wouldnt exist if everyone went to the person that is designated to answer. these types of forums (macinsiders in particularly) do a better job of answering these questions than most advisers at mac anyways. you also get a faster response at these places and can hear the views of actual students that have gone through the process. nothing wrong with asking here first for the TC. she would probably end up going to an adviser anyways too. getting best of both worlds is fine.

alyssarr, jamiebenyovi like this.
Old 10-08-2013 at 10:55 AM   #7
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa774 View Post

Ok then, why not check one of the hundreds of threats already available on this site that will certainly have the information you need, rather than create a new thread? You are trying to tell me that this forum is informative, so use the information provided rather than making people constantly repeat it.

Lastly, my post must have been creative enough to instill the desire in you to respond to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Thanks Herb! Finally someone else who gets it. You have a great fucking day sir!
Old 10-08-2013 at 02:47 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Go to your academic advisor. They will tell you the procedures and requirements.