MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching programs in 2nd yr Aosora Academics 2 06-10-2012 10:04 PM
Switching Programs vvndn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 01-28-2012 07:29 PM
Switching programs stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-12-2011 01:08 PM
Switching programs, HELP bluu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2011 11:38 AM
switching programs DancesToNIN Academics 4 02-07-2010 08:22 PM

Switching Programs

Old 09-28-2012 at 01:09 PM   #1
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

Switching Programs
I was wondering what the process is like switching programs. I'm not switching faculties.
I applied for the Communications program, but I didn't get in, so I'm in general Humanities right now taking a bunch of Communications courses and hoping to switch into the program next year.
Does anyone know how exactly I do this? And when should I talk to the advisors about it? Is it too early now?
Old 09-28-2012 at 01:29 PM   #2
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Its never too early to plan your academic career. Talk to your APO as soon as possible so you can plan your courses & required CA properly. That is what they are there for from the beginning of the year.
Old 10-07-2012 at 03:30 PM   #3
BrownNoun

Liked: 0 Times

hey i am in first year engineering and i don't like it. As you know the first midterms started. I want to switch to commerce but I am wondering if it is possible now. Do you think its possible to make the switch now?
Old 10-07-2012 at 03:52 PM   #4
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownNoun View Post
hey i am in first year engineering and i don't like it. As you know the first midterms started. I want to switch to commerce but I am wondering if it is possible now. Do you think its possible to make the switch now?
You can drop your first term classes, but you won't be able to register for commerce classes this semester 'cause registration is now closed. You can register for second semester commerce classes right now if you wanted. I think you might be able to pick up on first semester commerce classes in the summer, so you can enter 2nd year commerce in your 2nd year at Mac. This, of course, is an ideal solution and everything might not work at I described.
As always, speak with your academic adviser (who will probably send you to the Commerce Office).
Old 10-07-2012 at 03:55 PM   #5
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxorianna View Post
Does anyone know how exactly I do this?
Bust your ass off and get a good CA to maximize your chances of transfer.
Quote:
And when should I talk to the advisors about it?
As soon as possible. You can even email them now.
Quote:
Is it too early now?
Nope, better now than later.
Old 10-07-2012 at 04:07 PM   #6
BrownNoun

I was going to see a guidance counselor on Tuesday anyways. But I just asked so I know what to tell the counselor lol!Thanks for the info So does that mean I have to stick with my Eng courses for first semester?
Old 10-07-2012 at 09:41 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownNoun View Post
I was going to see a guidance counselor on Tuesday anyways. But I just asked so I know what to tell the counselor lol!Thanks for the info So does that mean I have to stick with my Eng courses for first semester?
You don't "have" to stick with them, but imo that would be the best thing to do, given the little information you've given us about your situation (ie, how much do you hate engineering and how much is it making you hate life, what your grades are like, etc etc).

You cannot add any more term 1 courses so if you drop your current ones you will have wasted money (it's too late to get a full refund on the courses).
You will be a full term behind in terms of credits (any ones that might have transferred over to count as "electives").
You will lose your status as a full-time student, which could affect osap and whatnot if you use it.

Also, either way you might not be able to register in all of the commerce classes even for second term. I'm not too familiar with how the program works, but if any first-term courses are prereqs for second-term courses then that will be a problem. Definitely talk to an academic advisor, from both eng and commerce if possible.
Old 10-11-2012 at 12:31 PM   #8
Fairweather

Liked: 1 Time

Do it, I did it, no regrets on my 4th year.
Old 10-11-2012 at 05:04 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairweather View Post
Do it, I did it, no regrets on my 4th year.
Oh really? Seems like getting your post count talking to post in the marketplace is more like it, haha.
Old 10-25-2012 at 08:06 PM   #10
BrownNoun

Hey FairWeather did you switch from engineering to commerce second year?