MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Second year Eng electives? xxsumz Academics 7 06-16-2010 08:43 PM
First year electives KGood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-14-2010 06:36 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
First Year Electives maturegoose Academics 2 08-21-2008 09:07 PM

Third Year Electives

Old 06-10-2008 at 08:16 AM   #1
mnk1988

Liked: 0 Times

Third Year Electives
Hey Guyz....
I am going into third year, in science and I was wondering if anyone knows any third year courses that are interesting/easy?
Or any second year courses?
Thanks in advance.

My suggestiosn for anyone considering easy courses are: Geo 2GG3 and Geo 2E03 (but has a heavy workload) and Anthro 1b03 is pretty easy providing u put in the work.
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:33 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Aren't all courses easy if you put in the right amount of work?
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:01 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Anthro 2G03 is fairly easy, as previously mentioned.

Again it depends on what you find easy and what you don't. CSCT/English 2J03 is pretty easy...but has essay writing components.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 03:17 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

2J03 isn't offered this year I believe. If thats the History of English one I'm thinking of, cause I wanted to take it to finish up my cultural studies requirement.

Old 06-10-2008 at 08:26 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

2J03 is pop culture. you're thinking 2JJ3 i think.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:01 AM   #6
jessfish5

Liked: 1 Time

if you don't mind taking a stats course, SOC SCI 2J03 is a super easy one
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:46 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfish5 View Post
if you don't mind taking a stats course, SOC SCI 2J03 is a super easy one
You're not permitted to take that if you're in Science.

Old 06-23-2009 at 04:13 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Biochem 3G03
Stats 2B03
Old 06-23-2009 at 05:12 PM   #9
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Speaking of 3rd year electives, does anyone have any insights on Poli Sci 3NN6 Public Law? The course sounds really interesting but I'm not sure if it is possible to get an A in it.
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:40 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I would assume that would be a more difficult third year poli sci course, as it is six units...

six unit classes are typically for those enrolled in the program, and not ones encourages as electives

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:09 AM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Umm how doable are third year Religious study courses?

Because for some reason they canceled the second year Islamic Studies course so I have a choice to take a 3rd year Islamic Studies course(3C03) though.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:51 AM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Aren't all courses easy if you put in the right amount of work?
I don't think this is the case actually...

Some courses are death, and have like, a 30-40% class average. It certainly doesn't feel like any amount of work you do will save you, while in a course like this.

Not to mention it has a lot to do with talent and learning styles. If I took an english course, I could treat it like a full time job and still not get an A, whereas I can study for other courses one weekend a month and get one.

It's relativity, and I don't mean general.

-----------------------------

As for an easy third year elective, if you're not completely frightened when it comes to Math, I recommend Math 3G03 (Problem Solving). You learn no new math material in this course, and instead you learn how to solve problems given what you already know. During each lecture (the class size is capped at 20) the prof brings an overhead sheet with 5 problems on it. You do whichever ones you feel comfortable with.

Your grade is a combination of class participation, weekly quizzes (solve one of two new problems you haven't seen in lecture) and bi-weekly assignments (solve two out of four new problems).
Old 06-24-2009 at 10:54 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I don't think this is the case actually...

Some courses are death, and have like, a 30-40% class average. It certainly doesn't feel like any amount of work you do will save you, while in a course like this.

Not to mention it has a lot to do with talent and learning styles. If I took an english course, I could treat it like a full time job and still not get an A, whereas I can study for other courses one weekend a month and get one.

It's relativity, and I don't mean general.
Agreed. I'm still waiting for an 11 or a 12 in an English class...and I'm an English major. It's friggin' impossible.

Old 06-24-2009 at 11:05 AM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

-----------------------------

As for an easy third year elective, if you're not completely frightened when it comes to Math, I recommend Math 3G03 (Problem Solving). You learn no new math material in this course, and instead you learn how to solve problems given what you already know. During each lecture (the class size is capped at 20) the prof brings an overhead sheet with 5 problems on it. You do whichever ones you feel comfortable with.

Your grade is a combination of class participation, weekly quizzes (solve one of two new problems you haven't seen in lecture) and bi-weekly assignments (solve two out of four new problems).
Umm what sort of problems are there? Is it like one of those complex theorems that people weren't able to solve for years until some prodigy with an Iq of 200+ comes along? eg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert...enth _problem

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-24-2009 at 11:22 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It obviously wouldn't be one of Hilbert's Problems haha...mathematicians are (very slowly) knocking back his problems...we're 100 years along and still have a long way to go. The only time I've ever had an 'open problem' in front of me in a course, was this one time when the prof found it hilarious to put something called the Collatz Conjecture on the final exam...Nicest guy in the world though, and he adjusted everyone's mark if they felt it was unfair.

"Maybe one of you became famous during these three hours." Hahaha...good times.

Anyway no, the problems are simpler than that, yet challenging..."Math contest" style questions. Things like "Integrate this" and they give an integral, wherein blindly attacking the problem leads nowhere. You need to do some kind of trick, like changing variables or using a trig identity.

I've scanned and will attach a sample worksheet to this post.

Note that Question 2, is a proof that Root(2) is an irrational number ("It's decimals go on forever in an unpredictable format")

----------------------------------

A word of caution, when you look at these problems...you may be intimidated. But don't be! Even a math major would be intimidated at first glance...there is a reason the course is taught...you'll be adequately prepared! Also keep in mind this is 2 months or so into the course already.

---------------------------------

EDIT: Here's one of my favourite 'puzzles.'

Suppose I have a magic box, which evaluates some mystery polynomial over the positive integers (its coefficients are positive integers). You plug in a number, and the magic box evaluates the polynomial on that number.

Ex: f(x) = x^2 + 3x + 2

If you put a '2' into the magic box, the box spits out f(2) = 12 (which is 2^2 + 3*2 + 2)

You have no idea what the highest degree of n is, or what the coefficients are! The object of the game is to figure out all of the coefficients.

The question is, how many 'guesses' or numbers do I have to put into the magic box, to figure it out (What is the smallest number of guesses, which will allow me to solve for every coefficient)?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Math_-_3G03_-_Sample_Worksheet.pdf (22.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-24-2009 at 11:49 AM.