MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offers of Admission Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 206 04-25-2013 08:46 PM
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
Conditional Offers yevenbother First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 07-15-2009 11:20 PM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Alternate Offers

Old 04-24-2010 at 05:40 PM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Alternate Offers
I read on electronicinfo.ca and the McMaster website that McMaster doesn't offer alternate offers but instead apply to the program you want to get into. The thing is i applied to the Commerce program but I cant get it since I dropped one pre-requisite course. So I was wondering if I should withdraw my application and apply to social sciences (since I heard the course you can take are almost identical) or should I just leave my application as if and maybe I will get an alternate offer?
Old 04-24-2010 at 06:11 PM   #2
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

During my high school, I applied to art sci at mac and didn't get in. So, around early may, I applied to med rad and got an offer the next day. So, my advice is to try to apply for any other program you might be interested in. Who knows, you might get in.
Old 04-25-2010 at 12:39 AM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Well, if it says it doesn't make alternative offers, then it doesn't make alternative offers.

Soc sci should be a good fit - there are only a couple of required courses (vs 8 in the sciences) and you can transfer into commerce 2nd year as long as you meet the requirements. First year is very general across most faculties, so it doesn't matter much what program you're in, as long as you do decently.
Old 04-26-2010 at 04:16 PM   #4
amare

If i were to do social sciences first year, what kind of an average would I need to get into Commerce II. Would it be the around 81-84 like in Commerce I or would it be different?
Old 05-02-2010 at 05:01 PM   #5
amare

Can anyone help?
Old 05-02-2010 at 05:11 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1187.html

See under Program Notes.

In summary, to get into Commerce II, you need an average of at least 5.0 on the McMaster 12-point scale (i.e. 63-66%) in your first year and you must have completed all the required courses. However, it doesn't look like you can transfer right into Commerce II from Soc Sci I because you wouldn't be allowed to take Commerce 1E03 which is a required prereq (you must be in Business I to take it and it's not offered in summer school).

You might be allowed to transfer to Business I though...? And if you've completed the other prereqs you might still be able to pull off doing a (Honours) B.Com degree in the same amount of time as someone who started at Business I in first year.

I am just guessing though...I have no idea. This would be something good to ask an academic advisor and/or the School of Business.
Old 05-02-2010 at 05:45 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You might just have to take Comm 1E03 in your 2nd year, or they may let you in if you request that you are shadowing the program. Normally when you email DeGroote, I believe the person to contact is Lori Hill, they provide you substantial information to assist you. You may also want to consider a degree in Economics.
Submit a second application to Social Sci and when you contact Lori, ask whether the prerequisite can be made up in the summer.

[email protected]

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-10-2010 at 02:15 PM   #8
amare

Ok so i applied to social sciences and i got accepted within 3 days of applying. So I decided to e-mail Degroote and i asked them what i needed to do an internal transfet into commerce 2 and they said the following:
Economics 1A06 OR both Economics 1B03 and 1BB3(6 units)
Computer Science 1SA3 OR Computer Science 1TA3(3 units)
MAnthropology 1A03, Geography 1HA3, Psychology 1X03 or Sociology 1A
Math 1M03 OR 1A03 OR 1LS3 OR 1X03(3 units)

Math 1F03 OR Math 1K03 (for those without Ontario Calculus & Vectors)

So I was wondering if all these cources could be take if I enrolled in social sciences and if it is highly competitive to get into Commerce 2 (it said a 7 point average was needed so 70-73%) but I imagine it could be alot higher with all the competition or am I wrong? Thanks for everyones help.
Old 05-10-2010 at 04:16 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Ok so i applied to social sciences and i got accepted within 3 days of applying. So I decided to e-mail Degroote and i asked them what i needed to do an internal transfet into commerce 2 and they said the following:

So I was wondering if all these cources could be take if I enrolled in social sciences and if it is highly competitive to get into Commerce 2 (it said a 7 point average was needed so 70-73%) but I imagine it could be alot higher with all the competition or am I wrong? Thanks for everyones help.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/

You can use the undergraduate calendar to find your program, figure out how many electives you get n first year as well as the requirements for the above courses. Econ 1B03 and 1BB3 are considered bird courses by many students.
Old 05-10-2010 at 04:54 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post

You should be able to take all these courses as a social sciences student, especially because you get plenty of choice as a first year socsci, but you should double check the prereqs.

I heard it's generally pretty competitive to get into Commerce II, but I don't know what that means grades-wise. I also heard the program itself is pretty challenging, so you should be willing to work hard regardless. At most, if you don't get into Commerce II, you can enter a social sciences program.