MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No courses found on elm/"avenue to learn" Rakim Academics 10 09-07-2010 07:34 AM
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
Question about "extra" courses reeves Academics 1 06-24-2010 09:59 AM
What does it mean by... "One full-year Academic Class." Sintos Academics 14 06-03-2010 08:52 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Courses that are "full"

Old 06-26-2009 at 11:56 AM   #91
missiu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
I tried but they're like they can't do anything about it and my best bet is to contact the professors.
I emailed a bunch of professors (because I have a lot of courses I can't get into at the moment), and most of them forwarded me to the Academic Advisors of the department, or said that they actually had no power to do anything about the full course and that I should contact an advisor.
Old 06-26-2009 at 02:35 PM   #92
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, who did you email exactly? I contacted one of the student advisors (Rita Campbell) over two days ago and never got a response :p
I contacted Luc Bernier, he is the advisor for the School of Geography & Earth Sciences undergraduate students. He'll only be able to help you out if the course you need is an enviro/earth sc course.

Oh and to the post by missiu, I've spoken to a prof too about getting into a full course and she said that too, they have no control over opening seats any more and she seemed very frustrated by it.
Old 06-26-2009 at 02:40 PM   #93
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Emailed one of the profs and this is part of what I got back:

Quote:
If placements for each course have been filled, then you must wait for
one to become available in each; this can occur either by someone
dropping or if additional placements are allotted. Please note that,
people might drop a course during the second registration period; and,
between the first and second registration periods, people (actual
humans) examine enrollment and adjust placements. Under either
scenario, you might be able to enroll successfully during the second
registration period or beyond.

Courses are capped and seats cannot be added (except to accommodate
in-program students) or reserved, unfortunately.
It looks like they may be adding a few additional seats to high demand courses during the second registration period, so there's still hope for people looking to get into full courses.
Old 06-26-2009 at 02:45 PM   #94
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
... between the first and second registration periods, people (actual humans) examine enrollment and adjust placements.
... so people can also refer to something that's not human now?
Old 06-26-2009 at 02:46 PM   #95
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I contacted Luc Bernier, he is the advisor for the School of Geography & Earth Sciences undergraduate students. He'll only be able to help you out if the course you need is an enviro/earth sc course.
Aww :( Thanks anyway
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:19 PM   #96
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
... so people can also refer to something that's not human now?
Everything is done by computer apparently, which isn't surprising.

That gives us some hope then, I hope people start dropping courses 'cause I am going to snatch that sh-t haha.
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:39 PM   #97
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Rita just answered my e-mail that I sent two days ago. I e-mailed all the advisors (4 of them), 2 of them got back to me within a day.
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:47 PM   #98
Nave

what the hell is up with SOLAR because i tired to get into Psych 2h03 and it said that both 1D and 2E were full. But when my friend tried at the same time they were available for her and are still open. I thought this would have to do with the program you are enrolled in where one person has priority over a course but this psych course isn't a mandatory course for either of us we are taking it as an elective and i would really like to get into it since im trying to minor in psych :(
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:54 PM   #99
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Hmm, that's strange Nave. I just checked and its full for me too (it would also be an elective for me).

I had the same situation happen with me and STATS 2B03 which was available for me and not for anyone else, it's in a course list for my program but all of the required courses for my program were full, so I don't see why STATS would've been available for just me.

I guess the only thing you can do is keep checking or contact an academic advisor.
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:57 PM   #100
Nave

so that means the courses aren't really "full"
solar is just scamming us !
Old 06-26-2009 at 06:11 PM   #101
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy View Post
So I'm going into second year Humanities in September, and after working out a course list that had no conflicts and had courses that I was really excited about taking, I have become very disappointed to find most of them are full (one being Japanese 1Z06, which was the whole reason I came to McMaster in the first place, so If I don't get to take that this year I'll be very sad :( ).

I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to do now... I would guess find replacement courses and switch into the courses I want during the drop and add period once school starts. But I had my heart set on those courses :(

In case it's relevent, the courses that I wanted that were full are:
Science 2B03, Linguistics 1A03, CMST 2R03, Linguistics 2E03 and Japanese 1Z06

Science 2b03 was not full yesturday mainly because it was just openned yesturday (or so i was told) with the lvl 2 science students picking course. (say yay for run-on sentences!)
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:06 PM   #102
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Hmm, that's strange Nave. I just checked and its full for me too (it would also be an elective for me).

I had the same situation happen with me and STATS 2B03 which was available for me and not for anyone else, it's in a course list for my program but all of the required courses for my program were full, so I don't see why STATS would've been available for just me.

I guess the only thing you can do is keep checking or contact an academic advisor.

So wait, did u get into STAT 2B03? Was it actually open? As far as I know, first years can get register to it with a Data Management prereqs fro high school. So i suspect that SOLAR capped it for now to 'reserve' seats for first years....
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:08 PM   #103
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
So i suspect that SOLAR capped it for now to 'reserve' seats for first years....
I really doubt they reserved any seats for first year. They didn't reserve any seats for second years. They say that the course is supposed to be taken in third year even if it's a second year course.
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:20 PM   #104
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Rita just answered my e-mail that I sent two days ago. I e-mailed all the advisors (4 of them), 2 of them got back to me within a day.
I guess she just hates engineers then. Think it's worth it for me to try and send it to the other 3 student advisers? lol
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:44 PM   #105
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I guess she just hates engineers then. Think it's worth it for me to try and send it to the other 3 student advisers? lol
Yeah, it's worth a try. Cathy answered the fastest.