MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End Goal Of Dating? Desda Dating & Relationships 279 12-09-2010 03:27 PM
Torrenting sites/Watch TV Online sites lorend Movies & Television 13 09-09-2010 01:05 PM
has anyone else heard of these sites? marauders89 General Discussion 9 03-04-2009 01:06 PM
MacInsiders Articles on Dating Chad CLOSED: Dating & Relationships 0 06-18-2008 09:21 AM
Some Dating Ideas… lorend Misc 4 09-30-2007 04:42 PM

Dating sites

Old 04-15-2010 at 11:54 AM   #31
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallandale View Post
Women have more sexual partners than men? Like on average? If we're talking heterosexual sex alone (as implied), I'd like to point out that this is, by its very definition, a completely false statement.
How can that, by definition, be a completely false statement?
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:08 PM   #32
larp

Liked: 8 Times

Well I think the discussion on dating sites was completely hijacked.

On (un)related note: George R.R. Martin's writing and epic fantasy is way superior to J.K. Rowling's.

BlakeM says thanks to larp for this post.

BlakeM, syaseen like this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:50 PM   #33
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

MI, the land of off-topic discussions.

I love how the thread about online dating sites is now about Harry Potter.

Prisoner of Azkaban will always be my favourite book, and movie actually. I know a lot of people didn't like Alfonso Cuaron's adaptation but I loved it. I wish they had had him back to do one of the later films, I know he wanted to.

I refuse to read Twilight, I know its kind of stubborn to hate it without actually reading through it but I just can't bring myself to endure such stupidity. More so than ruining young people's perception of relationships I'm offended at the shitty female lead character. Really, really, we want young girls to be like Bella Swan? Really? Thank you Stephanie Meyer for setting women back like 50 years.

Afzal, Moo!io like this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:58 PM   #34
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
MI, the land of off-topic discussions.

I love how the thread about online dating sites is now about Harry Potter.

Prisoner of Azkaban will always be my favourite book, and movie actually. I know a lot of people didn't like Alfonso Cuaron's adaptation but I loved it. I wish they had had him back to do one of the later films, I know he wanted to.

I refuse to read Twilight, I know its kind of stubborn to hate it without actually reading through it but I just can't bring myself to endure such stupidity. More so than ruining young people's perception of relationships I'm offended at the shitty female lead character. Really, really, we want young girls to be like Bella Swan? Really? Thank you Stephanie Meyer for setting women back like 50 years.
Everyone I talk to likes the third book the best. I loved the second
Twilight ruined everything in general, I agree.
Old 04-15-2010 at 02:03 PM   #35
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey18 View Post
Everyone I talk to likes the third book the best. I loved the second
Twilight ruined everything in general, I agree.
Chamber of Secrets is actually my least favourite, the book and the movie in general. I'm not sure why, I just don't love the story as much.

I just hope more girls grow up admiring Ms. Granger over Bella. Hermione may not be a real name but she's certainly a much better female heroine than Meyer's pathetic, love sick Bella Swan.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:05 PM   #36
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

I think they're a viable source for those who are really having difficulty meeting people. Those who are anti-social or are really shy can warm up to people first through online chats etc. which can really ease the meeting someone new process. And yeah, they're also good for random hook-ups too.

I've never personally tried using one, never had a reason to, but I know a few people that do and it tends to work for them.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:20 PM   #37
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
How can that, by definition, be a completely false statement?

Women have sex with men more than men have sex with women.

Think about it.

Nosh says thanks to Hallandale for this post.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:30 PM   #38
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:

Think about it.
I'm still super lost... explain this to me like I'm five... you said the statement that "women on average have more sexual partners than men" is by definition false. How?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you're trying to say.

Last edited by sniderj : 04-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:57 PM   #39
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:

Think about it.
Lets say you have a village. 5 guys, 5 girls. Each of the 5 girls sleep with 4 of the guys. One guy doesn't get laid. Some people aren't sexually active, some are more active. Think about it.

EDIT: Yes, it's a very simple example but I am too lazy to make it better.
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:05 PM   #40
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Lets say you have a village. 5 guys, 5 girls. Each of the 5 girls sleep with 4 of the guys. One guy doesn't get laid. Some people aren't sexually active, some are more active. Think about it.

EDIT: Yes, it's a very simple example but I am too lazy to make it better.
I could easily replace guys with girls in your example.
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:06 PM   #41
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Women have more sexual partners than men? Like on average? If we're talking heterosexual sex alone (as implied), I'd like to point out that this is, by its very definition, a completely false statement.

Dating sites like match or eharmony or lavalife are fairly useless for people who are undergrad age (Think... Under 24 or so. Sorry if I'm excluding people here, I know my degree'll be finished when I'm like 25 anyways ahaha). There aren't very many people our age who would pay, when there are sites like Plentyoffish that let you on for free.

Most people just put up a profile for fun and see what happens.

If you're thinking of trying a dating site, go for it, but be careful.
A lot of the guys on the site are absolutely pathetic, and this is their last resort.
A lot of the profile are fake, and the people behind them are weirdos.
A lot of the guys who seem really well put together are huge players and professionally trained people, who are just on the site to get laid.
How can you explain surveys like this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-than-men.html
This was just a poll, but there have been plenty of studies by scientists and people with PhDs on the same topic, and I'm pretty sure they know more than you about the subject matter.

I also don't get your man-bashing when it comes to dating sites. You say a lot of the guys on dating sites are pathetic, but what does that make the girls? Also you say a lot of the guys are "players", well isn't it up to the girl to decide which of the guys are players or not and whether or not to date them? It's not like any of these guys are forcing the girls to sleep with them, if the girl gets wooed by a charming guy, what difference does it make? A lot of the women could be "players" as well who are just on the site to get laid, no? You're being pretty sexist to be honest.

Last edited by Souldier : 04-15-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:22 PM   #42
larp

Liked: 8 Times

Wasn't there a beer commercial a few years ago when this guy was poised not to have sex that night, and ended up telling his friends that "they had sex with me while I wasn't looking".
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:22 PM   #43
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
How can you explain surveys like this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-than-men.html
This was just a poll, but there have been plenty of studies by scientists and people with PhDs on the same topic, and I'm pretty sure they know more than you about the subject matter.

I also don't get your man-bashing when it comes to dating sites. You say a lot of the guys on dating sites are pathetic, but what does that make the girls? Also you say a lot of the guys are "players", well isn't it up to the girl to decide which of the guys are players or not and whether or not to date them? It's not like any of these guys are forcing the girls to sleep with them, if the girl gets wooed by a charming guy, what difference does it make? A lot of the women could be "players" as well who are just on the site to get laid, no? You're being pretty sexist to be honest.
Where oh where should I start?

First of all, I'm immediately skeptical of anything I read in the telegraph. Let's put that aside.

Young women are more promiscuous than men, according to a survey that claims the average 21-year-old has had nine sexual partners compared with seven for men.

OMG.
It's a survey of YOUNG women. 21 year olds.
Take what you know about the world, let's say.. age disparity of couples. Usually the man is older. I'm not being sexist here, I'm sure there are studies somewhere, that there are more couples with an older man and a younger woman, but I'm not going to go searching the interwebs for that.

To put it simply, younger girls have sex with older guys.
Being completely blunt.
Which means that statistically, for.. say.. 18-21 year olds, girls have more sexual partners.

But in the population as a whole, heterosexual men have as much sex on average as heterosexual women.

That's my explanation of that survey, without bringing things like sampling bias into the picture.

As for the whole "me being sexist" thing...

I was hardly being sexist, it doesn't deserve my time to explain myself.

Keep in mind that on dating sites, the men VASTLY outnumber the women. It's something like 10:1 ratio men:women.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

Old 04-15-2010 at 04:24 PM   #44
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

I have to agree with Carrier , realistically how many girls do you know that bang more than guys do ?
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:26 PM   #45
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Another thing, more men are born than women, roughly 106 men are born for every 100 women. This also skews results. Also, if you disregard outliers, like "players" who have had hundreds of partners from both sexes (there are many more male players than female players), it's pretty easy to see how you the average woman in today's society has sex with more partners than the average man.