Grades sycoman General Discussion 12 05-13-2009 12:18 PM
Grades? aa84 Academics 2 01-13-2009 03:54 PM
Grades Laura03 Academics 8 12-20-2008 10:26 PM

Grades Help

Old 12-23-2008 at 08:00 AM   #1
Mac12

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Grades Help
I just saw my marks and for 2 of my classes it is below the average I needed to stay in my program. Does that mean I will have to retake these classes? (I didnt fail, just like 3-5% below what I needed). Also for one of the classes there is a second part to the classs, will I be able to take that classes or will I need to get a higher mark in the class I took this semester?
Old 12-23-2008 at 09:17 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It depends on the requirements of your program.

If it's an average between courses it depends...Say you have classes X and Y. You need a 6 average in those courses. X is a term I course while Y is a term II course. If you got a 5 in X that means you need to get a 7 in Y to meet the requirement.

Most of the "stay in your program" type limitations mean for year II and not for term II of year I.

Mac usually doesn't let you re-take courses unless they are under a certain grade point (I believe a mark from 1-3 you can re-take). However, sometimes you can appeal to re-take a course.

Also, not all courses are available in term II. Most often they are only available in one term.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-23-2008 at 09:28 AM   #3
Mac12

hmm ok, so I wont be able to re take those course I got 5's in...

From my understanding of the Course Calander it says this...

In order to go onto year 2 I need
- a 6 average in all my 1st year classes
- a 6 or higher in my program classes (I got 2 5's this semster)

So what does it mean for me that I got two 5's? Do I have to re take them? Do I not go onto level 2 or what?
Old 12-23-2008 at 09:37 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If the course if offered in Term II you can't just re-add it on SOLAR. The computer won't let you add a course you've already completed.

You may be able to appeal to re-take them if they are offered in Term II, but it would be up to your department. This would also mean you would be down a credit or two, as with re-taking a course you do not get additional credit units for completing them again.

Depending on what courses they are, it is quite possible that they are offered in the summer months. But again you would likely need to appeal to your department to take them.

You have two options if you're not allowed to take re-take the courses.

1) Mirror your second year program (ie take all the same courses you would otherwise and then re-apply for the program at the end of year II). However, you will need to achieve better marks in order to get in.

2) Choose another program.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-23-2008 at 09:43 AM   #5
Mac12

ok so I guess my best option is the mirror, so what I would need to do is keep my my 2nd semester marks and then do well 2nd year. Any idea what my average would need to be like to be re accepted into the program? Also what happens if I dont get accepted into the program then?
Old 12-24-2008 at 12:13 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Acceptance in second year depends on the program, as some accept fewer students in first year than others.

Multimedia, for example is a very small program and takes a limited number of first years. It is likely hard to transfer in as a second year student.

I mirrored Anthro in Year II and was accepted into it (and also added) Cultural Studies and Critical Thinking (so I went from BA Anthro to BA (Hons) Anthropology and Cultural Studies & Critical Thinking).

You can re-apply after Year III as well.

If you don't get in...you can do a second degree in another discipline and get an Honours in that (which is what a friend of mine is doing).

Old 05-10-2009 at 11:37 AM   #7
lacus1004

Liked: 0 Times

for life sci B.Sc program for second year, it says that we need at least 3.5 with an average of 4 from bio 1a03, 1mo3 or psych 1x03 or 1xx3 (need three courses)
but let say that i have enough for the 3.5 average but not able to make it for the average of 4 for those three courses...
would i still get a chance to get into that program?
what would happen? or what could i do in these situations?
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:41 PM   #8
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

When it comes down to requirements for things like getting into a program, the rules apply across the board, so if you don't have the 6 average to make an honours program, there won't be an exception made.

HOWEVER, when it comes down to requirements to stay in a program, everything is done on a case-by-case basis. The school would rather have students paying tuition, than kicking out students who miss the bottom threshold of a requirement by tenths of a GPA point.
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:45 PM   #9
lacus1004

what is the difference between by getting into a program and to stay in a program? aren't they the same thing?
and what do you mean by case by case basis?
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:53 PM   #10
deadpool
X-Man

In my experience, and from what I've heard, Mac does not bend rules for people who miss GPA requirements to enter a program. So, if you were to miss the cutoff for honours requirements, or for a particular degree specialization, Mac would not cut you much slack, and you would have to take a year mirroring the requirements of the program you were not admitted into and hope that your grades are high enough that they would admit you at a future date.

However, once you are IN a program, Mac makes some effort to help you stay in the program, if you are at risk of getting kicked out of it. Their rationale seems to be that a person who has at one time met the requirements for entrance deserves a second chance, allthough it does come with some form of probation.

The case by case basis means that you would need to petition the faculty or program to let you continue on in the particular program, and write a letter explaining why you want to get in. The thing is, you can do this special petition regardless of whether you are trying to enter a program, or stay in a program, but Associate Deans' offices usually deny people trying to enter a program, but are more helpful to people trying to stay in a program.

lacus1004 says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 05-10-2009 at 08:49 PM   #11
lacus1004

does that mean there is a chance that i might have to repeat a year to minor those courses?
Old 05-10-2009 at 08:58 PM   #12
lacus1004

so do u mean that if i'm in life sci program in first year and going onto life sci in second year.. mac makes some effort to help me?
is that what u mean by once i'm IN a program?
Old 05-10-2009 at 09:36 PM   #13
deadpool
X-Man

if you were in danger of getting kicked out of life sci, there are more options and support in place than there would be if you were trying to get into biochem but didn't meet the cutoff

lacus1004 says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 05-10-2009 at 11:39 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacus1004 View Post
does that mean there is a chance that i might have to repeat a year to minor those courses?
It means that you go on to second year, not in the program of your choice. You can mirror the program of your choice by taking the courses that you would normally take in that program. If your marks are high enough, you may be admitted into the program in third year. I'm not sure about the application process though.

lacus1004 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 04:35 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Sorry if I step on anyone's toes, but I'm going to reiterate some of the points presented thus far since there seems to be some confusion...Perhaps it will help if a few things are defined:

Honours Degree - 4 year, 'full' degrees are known as Honours Degrees. I think just about every academic program has the honours route. These tend to have stricter requirements, usually about a 6 cumulative average on the Mac Scale.

General Degree - 3 year degree programs. Not every program has this as an option...for instance Kinesiology requires that you graduate in an honours standing. But if you are in Kinesiology, and fail to meet the honours standing for the next year, you are put on 'probation' in a "Kinesiology General" program for a maximum of one year. During this year you must bring your average and such up to par, or you'll be forced to withdraw from the program.

So what people are saying in this topic is that if you have your place secured in a program of study...and you leave that program of study for academic reasons...

Then Mac loses your tuition, because they reserved a spot for you. Hence they bend the rules slightly to keep you in good standing so they get your money.

If however you are applying to enter a program of study...

Mac will not be as likely to bend the rules since they can merely say "Hey, here's a student who meets our criteria," and take their money instead. You don't have your seat reserved yet, so McMaster doesn't lose any money by keeping you from entering the program.

So what happens if you don't meet the requirements? You're essentially put into "Academic Limbo." If your specific program offers a "General degree" option, then you can opt to enroll in that...otherwise, you can continue to take courses relating to your program of study (unless they are limited enrollment courses, since these will presumably be occupied by students in good standing), and attempt to put yourself back in good standing. Then you apply for re-entry the next year.

EDIT: I suppose alternatively, you can 'upgrade' your courses to bring them up to par...but you should speak with a counsellor about this, because I'm not really sure how they determine your upgraded mark.

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-11-2009 at 04:39 AM.

lacus1004 says thanks to Mowicz for this post.