MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high school sciences at mac? Raeann89 Academics 5 09-09-2010 08:17 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Retaking a course in high school Relyt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-15-2010 08:14 PM
High School Documents Serps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-22-2009 04:06 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

What High School Did You Attend?

Old 07-06-2009 at 11:39 PM   #121
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post

On another note, apparently a lot of people are having trouble paying tuition for their kids because of the recession =p
I bet those parents are regretting sinking $150,000 into pointless education!
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:51 PM   #122
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
Good ol' Royal St. George's College in Toronto... Hooray for a public school education for 80 grand and a uniform... and paying for books... woot.

Awesome! I have a lot of friends that went and currently go to to Royal St. George's College. It's an awesome school! I was also thinking of going to that school, but ended up going to the University of Toronto schools.

Old 07-06-2009 at 11:53 PM   #123
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I'm fairly certain that the University of Toronto Schools (UTS) is ranked the top high school in Ontario.
I was only talking about paying a certain amount of money if a school was number 1. I wasn't saying that the school was number 1.
Old 07-07-2009 at 12:21 AM   #124
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I was only talking about paying a certain amount of money if a school was number 1. I wasn't saying that the school was number 1.
Opps sorry
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:12 AM   #125
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
Good ol' Royal St. George's College in Toronto... Hooray for a public school education for 80 grand and a uniform... and paying for books... woot.
On the brightside, university tuition isn't even going to phase your parents... mine still guilt trip me about it occasionally.
Old 07-07-2009 at 02:09 AM   #126
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I went to private school for 4 years before high school and then went to a public high school...

... On reflection, don't people usually do it the other way around? >_<
Old 07-07-2009 at 06:53 AM   #127
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
I went to private school for 4 years before high school and then went to a public high school...

... On reflection, don't people usually do it the other way around? >_<

I actually did it the same way as you...private elementary, public high school
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:20 PM   #128
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
What if it was ranked number 1 in the world?
For a High School diploma, which pretty much becomes irrelevant after you get a degree from University? Yes, still way too pricey (imo, no disrespect meant).

Old 07-07-2009 at 09:22 PM   #129
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
For a High School diploma, which pretty much becomes irrelevant after you get a degree from University? Yes, still way too pricey (imo, no disrespect meant).
But there are still transfer credits, probably a really state of the art laboratory and other things as well. VERY useful equipment and resources.
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:48 PM   #130
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Well RSGC was an okay school, but I have friends to went to public school, and I got nothing different than they did. I just have a bunch of used old textbooks, and it was a little frustrating being surrounded (not everyone, but many) by very very rich kids who basically didn't care about school because daddy and/or mommy could give you anything you want, and buy yourself a university career. It was frustrating, but it wasn't 100% bad. Hahaha
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:51 PM   #131
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Public schools offer transfer credits. State of the art laboratories are definitely nice, but you can learn the necessary prereq lab skills needed for first year University from any public school as well.

I understand that private schools are probably taught by Masters/PhD teachers and follow an intense curriculum (probably more challenging than in public schools), but I'm not not convinced that any high school diploma is worth that much money.

Old 07-07-2009 at 09:58 PM   #132
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
Public schools offer transfer credits. State of the art laboratories are definitely nice, but you can learn the necessary prereq lab skills needed for first year University from any public school as well.

I understand that private schools are probably taught by Masters/PhD teachers and follow an intense curriculum (probably more challenging than in public schools), but I'm not not convinced that any high school diploma is worth that much money.
Not all schools teach your the necessary prereq lab skills. I've seen many students that have never had a lab in their life.
Old 07-08-2009 at 12:02 AM   #133
camais

Liked: 30 Times

im from York Memorial C.I.
Old 07-08-2009 at 12:21 AM   #134
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Doh...after reading 14 pages, I can conclude that no one has gone to my loser highschool. xD

In regards to big fancy highschools, let's put it this way:

-Einstein would still thrive in a highschool made from discarded tin cans
-All the money in the world won't help a complete idiot

The way I see it, being declared 'gifted' and offered admission to a big fancy school is just a big scam.
Old 07-08-2009 at 12:22 AM   #135
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Doh...after reading 14 pages, I can conclude that no one has gone to my loser highschool. xD

In regards to big fancy highschools, let's put it this way:

-Einstein would still thrive in a highschool made from discarded tin cans
-All the money in the world won't help a complete idiot

The way I see it, being declared 'gifted' and offered admission to a big fancy school is just a big scam.
You actually have to take a test to be considered "gifted". Which I think you have to pay... and can take as many times as you want... seems a bit broken to me :\