MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 Willmountain 1st Year Course Reviews 133 12-25-2016 08:24 PM
need to replace math 1b03 or french 1z06,,with kinesiology 1y03 raja First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-04-2009 07:30 PM
Textbooks for 1st year life sci classess?? (1A03 and 1M03) jubilantx Academics 18 07-05-2009 11:51 PM
Has anyone taken Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3? Sohaibb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-09-2008 09:24 PM
kinesiology 1Y03 Pawan Academics 6 09-04-2007 12:21 AM

Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 for 1st year Life Sci

Old 03-14-2009 at 09:00 AM   #1
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 for 1st year Life Sci
I'm going to be in the life sciences program come September and was considering taking these classes. Could anyone tell me what material these classes cover? I stayed back an extra semester to take co-op, and I had a placement at the University of Guelph Anatomy Lab where 3rd year Human Kinetics/Biomed students were involved in dissection to learn human anatomy, and I was involved in the same things. So my background knowledge comes from an atmosphere of 3rd year anatomy course material. I didn't take kinesiology in high school but I learned a lot at the lab, muscoloskeletal, vasculature etc.

What would you recommend?
Old 05-03-2009 at 10:16 AM   #2
missiu

Liked: 0 Times

Kin 1A03 and 1Y03 are actually the same courses, but 1A03 is the Kin student name for it.

I would definitely recommend Kin 1Y03/1YY3 for a Life Science student. Since I didn't take kinesiology or anything during high school, I actually went into it last minute, and I don't regret it for a second. However, it covers a lot of material, and there are Friday morning WebCT quizzes/tests ever week. I found that really helpful, because it helped review the material.

The first half of the course covers Terminology, Embryology, Tissues, Nervous System, Membrane Potential, Brain Anatomy and Physiology (including the Cranial and Spinal nerves), Special Senses, ANS, Bone and Joint Anatomy and Phys, Muscles.

The second half are basically the systems within the body (including both anatomy and phys): Cardiac/Circulatory, Respiratory, Gastrointestinal, Endocrine, Renal, Male/Female Reproductive.

So it's a lot of memorizing and understanding, but the profs are great and some of the labs are really interesting. Plus it's like easy marks
I say go for it!
Old 05-03-2009 at 12:24 PM   #3
iamcanadian

Liked: 1 Time

Hi, I agree with missiu, the courses are GREAT. i am in life science and i took both the anatomy and physiology courses. as long as you do your readings, go to lecture, and study for the friday tests, you will do awesome. it's a lot of work but it is very possible to get an excellent mark in.
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:08 PM   #4
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

I really wanna get into KIN 1Y03 but its full. I need a life science course for my 2nd yr program that i wanna apply to in my 2nd year, honours biology physiology specialization and i want to do KIN 1Y03. Any suggestions of how I can get into this course, can i email the science office or something? I'm in first year life science at mac in this upcoming september.
Old 08-17-2009 at 01:21 PM   #5
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

I'm also keen on getting into 1Y03 but it seems to be full...but thanks for all the reviews!
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:11 PM   #6
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

I got in on Aug 13, I was soo happy. Keep trying, you could probably nab a spot by the time school starts or even before the add/drop deadline.