MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

Math 1B03

Old 08-12-2009 at 04:34 PM   #31
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Math 1B03
I'm doing this in response to a request for a review of Math 1B03. I gave it a perfect score, but for reasons to be explained in this review...This course leads to higher level algebra courses:

->Math 2R03 (Linear Algebra II),
->Math 2S03 (Linear Algebra III),
->Math 3E03...

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-12-2009 at 04:36 PM.

all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 07:46 PM   #30
sissi7
Year: First

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems467 View Post
E-mail [email protected] er.ca and explain your situation. They opened up a seat for me.
Thanks so much!!!
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-17-2011 at 02:03 AM   #31
julian36
Year: First

It is an essential course to take if you are going into a second year math/physics related program. The course materials could be dull and the professor isn't the best prof ever, but to be honest the difficulty of midterms/exams is very fair. No tricky question, pure knowledge from the lectures/textbooks. If you don't mind a 8:30 class, take it!
Old 05-02-2011 at 12:58 AM   #32
Dopematic
Program: Honours Biology & Mathematics
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkproject View Post
does anyone know whether i need to get buy the new textbook for the wileyplus?
I'm pretty sure you can purchase a code for WileyPlus online. I'm also pretty sure that this code comes with an online version of the textbook, which is great if you don't mind reading off of a computer screen.
Old 05-12-2011 at 10:40 PM   #33
nita
Program: Biology
Year: Third

Liked: 3 Times
So i realized that there are certain schools I want to apply to in the states that require Algebra, and I only took Math 1LS3 in first yr. I'll be going into my 4th yr and prolly need to take this class...

I'm worried cuz i haven't done math since first yr, and I'm not amazing at it.

R u sure this is an easy class or does it depend on the prof? I don't want it to bring down my gpa.
Old 05-13-2011 at 01:26 AM   #34
karna
Program: Life Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

I have heard that Dr. Nicas is easy. He usually teaches in 2nd semister. I am also planning to take this course.
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:14 PM   #35
Dopematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita View Post
So i realized that there are certain schools I want to apply to in the states that require Algebra, and I only took Math 1LS3 in first yr. I'll be going into my 4th yr and prolly need to take this class...

I'm worried cuz i haven't done math since first yr, and I'm not amazing at it.

R u sure this is an easy class or does it depend on the prof? I don't want it to bring down my gpa.
This course isn't hard at all, but don't underestimate it either. Just make sure to keep up with the work, go to lecture, etc. (as with any other course). Even if you aren't the greatest at math you should be able to come out with a pretty good mark. If I remember correctly, everything before the first midterm was basically review of Grade 12 stuff dealing with systems of linear equations and matrices. But after that it starts to pick up a little with some "abstract" concepts that might take a little time to grasp, especially if you don't go to the lectures. Overall, nothing too crazy.

The lectures do start to become really dry, no matter which prof you have; however, some profs are still better than others. The two profs teaching this year are Krepski and Lozinski. Last year I took this course with Dr. Krepski. Considering it was an 8:30 class and the material was pretty dry, he did a pretty good job at keeping lectures interesting. I've heard some pretty good stuff about Lozinski too so either prof should be fine. Just keep in mind that Krepski's lectures are at 8:30 again this year, so if, like me, you aren't a morning person, you might not want to pick him. Once the material started to get less interesting, I had no motivation whatsoever to go to this class, which butchered my mark

So good luck if you do end up taking this course. And on a side note, I might be selling my textbook if you (or anyone else taking this course) wants to buy it!
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:30 AM   #36
MichaelScarn
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences
Residence: Keyes 10/11 -> SOCS 11/12 -> Keyes 12/13

Liked: 161 Times
Anyone know if Dr. Krepinski is a good prof?
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:36 PM   #37
Dopematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Anyone know if Dr. Krepinski is a good prof?
Do you mean Krepski? Or Lozinski?
Old 06-15-2011 at 10:56 AM   #38
MichaelScarn
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences
Residence: Keyes 10/11 -> SOCS 11/12 -> Keyes 12/13

Liked: 161 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
Do you mean Krepski? Or Lozinski?
Oh lmao woops, I meant Krepski
Old 06-15-2011 at 06:43 PM   #39
Dopematic

Haha!
Krepski was one of my favourite profs from first year! He's always willing/available to help, and really seems to care about the success of his students: he held midterm/exam reviews, arranged to have his notes posted online (which is something I personally haven't really seen from math profs), and even had a little math blog keeping us posted on assignments, tests, etc. He also did a pretty good job at keeping us interested (i.e. awake) in his 8:30 classes. If you have the opportunity to get into his class, I would recommend it!

But if not, I hear Lozinski is pretty good as well

5.98e24 says thanks to Dopematic for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 01:20 PM   #40
nmperna

Dr. Krepski was great
It was a pretty good class, don't fall behind though. If you do, watch Khan Academy.
Old 09-06-2011 at 10:15 PM   #41
omgmt
Program: Biology & Psychology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 21 Times
Is there a big difference between the 9th and 10th edition?
Old 09-07-2011 at 07:32 PM   #42
Vaidawg
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmt View Post
Is there a big difference between the 9th and 10th edition?
You have to buy WileyPlus for this course so that you can do the homework assignments which count for marks and WileyPlus comes with the latest ebook and I think the solution manual as well. So unless you're uncomfortable with reading off an ebook, you don't need to buy the physical textbook. I only used the ebook; I found it easier to just look at the problems on my laptop and answer them on a scrap piece of paper.
Old 09-11-2011 at 12:24 PM   #43
Geo 92
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
But if not, I hear Lozinski is pretty good as well
Lozinski was awesome! He always found ways to keep us interested in lecture, which isn't an easy thing to do in the summer when the lectures are 3 hours long haha xD He showed us a lot of applications of the concepts we were learning to things like computer graphics and physics during lecture, which helped give me a context of how the things i was learning, which kinda seemed a little awkward and abstract at first, are actually useful and relevant. He worked through a lot of examples, and i think one of the most useful things he did was post all his handwritten notes on avenue so that you could actually pay attention to what he was saying and be able to ask questions instead of scrambling to copy the overheads
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:30 AM   #44
kaitotst
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 33 Times
For the most part, I found everything in this course easy to understand with the exception of Vector Spaces. Make sure you practice a lot of examples and understand the concepts thoroughly, since I found the exam hard. The other concepts could be well understand after doing a couple of practice questions/in class examples.

This course was relatively easier than most of the other math courses (may be as hard or a bit harder than MATH 1A03).

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search