MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

Math 1B03

Old 08-12-2009 at 04:34 PM   #46
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Math 1B03
I'm doing this in response to a request for a review of Math 1B03. I gave it a perfect score, but for reasons to be explained in this review...This course leads to higher level algebra courses:

->Math 2R03 (Linear Algebra II),
->Math 2S03 (Linear Algebra III),
->Math 3E03...

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-12-2009 at 04:36 PM.

all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

like this.
Old 05-12-2012 at 01:09 PM   #45
_Mike
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 8 Times
I took this course in Winter 2012 with Dr. Krepski (who was a very good prof, IMO) because I needed an elective and I enjoyed the vector component of the high school Calculus & Vectors course. It was also strongly recommended for my program (PNB) -- as for why, I'm guessing it's useful with computational neuroscience, neuroimaging, and stuff along those lines.

We began the course by introducing the concept of a matrix to solve systems of linear equations (remember these from grade 10 math?), using elementary row operations. We then learned about matrix inverses and transposes, before moving on to the chapter on vectors, which was essentially review from the grade 12 course and was only briefly tested on the first midterm, never to be mentioned again. Afterwards, vector spaces and subspaces were introduced, and then we discussed linear independence, span, null spaces, basis, and dimension. Then, we moved onto matrix transformations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

The material in the course is extremely abstract, and I had to do a lot of independent learning to try to get the concepts straightened out in my head. Sometimes it was easy to mix things up after the vector space portion of the course. If you keep on top of your homework though, you should be fine.

One thing I disliked about this course was that the concept of determinants was introduced near the course's end, whereas the textbook used it very early on. This was a choice made by the professor that I understood, but didn't necessarily agree with.

The course had various grading schemes. I will discuss the main components with the most common grading scheme.

GROUP QUIZZES (best 2 of 3 totalling 10% in all schemes):
You were randomly assigned into groups with whom you were allowed to discuss the quiz questions displayed on the overhead for 10 minutes. After that, you wrote the quiz individually. Your marks were a blend of your own (75%) and your group's (25%). The lowest mark was dropped. I disliked this component, mainly because my group members were usually unprepared or wouldn't talk.

2 TESTS (20% each):
There is a T/F component and several computational questions. The T/F is harder than you'd expect and requires a strong knowledge of the concepts (hence why you need to work through them in your head). I found the second test much easier than the first, but that's because it took me longer than most to absorb the material, so by that point, I had a much stronger grasp of the course content.

WILEYPLUS ASSIGNMENTS (10% if done):
You a week per assignment and unlimited attempts per question without penalty. Therefore, if you do all assignments and answer all questions, you'll get the full 10% for this portion.

EXAM (40%):
I thought this was a bit more challenging than the tests, and unfortunately, this bumped my grade down a point. You really have to make sure you practice, because some computations (such as the determinant) have lots of work involved, and it's easy to mix up signs, or mess up arithmetic and throw off your entire answer! Make sure you study for this!

Overall, I was extremely pleased with this course. I only got an 8 in Math 1LS3 (probably due to being in first-year and not studying properly), but I managed to get an 11 in 1B03 in my third year (despite not going to half of the lectures or so), so a good mark is attainable, even if you're not a math major or math genius. This is a refreshing break from memorization-heavy courses, and I've always liked doing math homework, because it's simply practice and application, which is so different from most other subjects. The material is a bit abstract and boring at times, but if you're looking for a good elective, TAKE.THIS.COURSE!

Jason036 says thanks to _Mike for this post.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:42 AM   #46
uppalss
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
How important is it to attend tutorials in this course?This year in Term 1 the tutorial is Mondays @ 8 30 and its my only class of the day, so I really don't want to go lol.
Old 09-05-2012 at 12:21 PM   #47
sol3
Account Disabled by User
Year: Fourth

Very easy course AS LONG AS YOU DON'T FALL BEHIND.

I'd say a guaranteed 11 as long as you make a serious effort to keep up and do your practice problems!!!
The reason I don't say easy 12 is because some people find proofs a bit more challenging (they take a bit of thought)
Old 11-30-2012 at 07:57 PM   #48
Laura_01
Program: Arts & Science
Year: First

Has anyone ever taken this course with Lozinski? What's he like?
Old 11-30-2012 at 10:29 PM   #49
zwitter
Program: Medical Physics
Year: Second

Liked: 15 Times
I had it with Lozinski and he was amazing, witty guy with a weird sense of humour. His notes made the textbook obsolete and the tests weren't bad at all either
Old 12-22-2016 at 12:28 AM   #50
Dark
Program: Honours Medical Physics
Year: Second

Just completed this course with Adam Van Tuyl as the prof. His notes are easy to follow and he does not make midterms/exams too difficult.
Overall the class is boring, content is dry. People who take this course usually do very well or mediocre.

The first midterm was pretty easy. Class average was 75%.
The second midterm was ok. Class average 71%.
The exam wasnt too bad but I could see how people did poorly. Class average was 66%.

Homework assignments and Matlab was a guaranteed 20% of your mark.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search