Grades sycoman General Discussion 12 05-13-2009 12:18 PM
Grades? aa84 Academics 2 01-13-2009 03:54 PM
Grades Laura03 Academics 8 12-20-2008 10:26 PM

My Grades and If I will Get in?

Old 11-13-2010 at 12:43 PM   #1
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

My Grades and If I will Get in?
Hi I am an undergrad in Oakville, and I am applying for Mac this year...I want to get into the Life Sci program and I don't know if it has changed, because I know some people with high grades not getting in, and I know they only look at ur grades and nothing else..From hearing what people have told me, I took very easy semester 1 courses, to keep my grade up for midterms...Midterms are here and I believe I have,

1. Economics- 89
2.English- 87
3.Advanced Functions-84

which is around an 86 avg...

I just wanted to hear from those of you who have gotten in and whether my average is alright...

Also, do all universities judge you drastically on your midterm mark ?

Also, next semester I have: Chemistry, Calculus and Excersize Science and I have already done biology... So I have all my 6 U courses...
Old 11-13-2010 at 12:45 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php

Cutoff mid 80's
You have all the pre-reqs, just keep grades up! The higher your grade, the more likely you will be accepted, good luck.
Old 11-13-2010 at 02:02 PM   #3
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

You should have no problem getting in as long as your average is above the cut off.
Old 11-13-2010 at 02:27 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I remember last year the cutoff being 87% but I don't remember where I learned that. But what I am sure of that last year they had me keep an average of 84% by the end of the year.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2010 at 04:51 PM   #5
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

It will really depend on the applicant pool and the grades of those applying. It's really hard for anyone to say right now because we know nothing about next years applicant pool.

That said, it seems to get harder and harder to get in every year, with the required average increasing. When I applied, in 2007 the published cut off was low 80s - so 80-83 would have been acceptable, and they required for us to maintain at least an 80% average. In just 4 years, this required conditional average has gone up by 4%.

To be safe, you should aim to keep your grades definitely above 85%, the higher the better. Also, do not worry about whether you will get in or not, really take the time to focus on those grades!

Good luck!!!
Old 11-13-2010 at 05:06 PM   #6
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

I know a few people who had mid 80's and didn't get in, so I would try and bump them up a bit, which I'm sure you can do. The difference in terms of work ethic between an 86 and an 88 isn't huge, but it will make all the difference in terms of getting in. Unless your over 90, you probably won't get early acceptance, which is always a huge relief, and something to strive for! Best of luck, life sci here is definitely worth the extra effort!
Old 11-15-2010 at 03:47 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

First term midterm marks only count for early acceptance, although I remember getting accepted to Mac pretty late (around Feb-March) and I had a 94 average at that point (3 first term marks + one summer school mark).
So many more people are applying to Mac, that the cutoff seems to be going up. I also heard last year was around 87, but that doesn't really mean anything for this year. At the end of the day, it's kind of pointless to sit around worrying if your marks are high enough to get in. Just work as hard as you can and get them as high as you can, and then even if you're below the cutoff, you'll at least know you tried as hard as you can and nothing would have enabled you to be above it. People always say, "oh, if I knew it was that high I would have tried harder." Just work as hard as you can, irrespective of what the cutoff may or may not be, and see what happens. There are scholarships up until 95%, so if you need some sort of external motivation for working hard, there it is.
Old 11-15-2010 at 05:43 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

I had a 93% average and got in, my best friend had an 87% average and got in, a few other friends got in within that range but nobody <85% that I know of did. Judging by that we ballparked it around an 87% that is increasing by around 0.5-1% a year in terms of admission cut-offs, but they're more like *cue Barbossa from POTC* GUIDELINES, REALLY.

Old 11-19-2010 at 11:53 PM   #9
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

To OP<, if you worry about your marks in Grade 12, then you're going to go crazy on the marks you're gonna get here in Mac.
Old 11-20-2010 at 12:08 PM   #10
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Obviously he's worried about his marks. He wants to get into university silly
Old 11-20-2010 at 03:13 PM   #11
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Considering the amount of Life Sci students here (by that, I mean there's a lot of spots), you're more or less guaranteed a spot if you have at least 87. If you have 85 or 86, you're still likely to get accepted.