MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities Cheers! Megan11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-12-2010 10:16 AM
cheers and dissings ... cmhtbx General Discussion 14 09-07-2010 10:41 PM
Picketing Will Happen Monday - Here's the Protocol lorend MacInsiders Announcements 25 11-02-2009 11:12 AM
Three Cheers For The Hsr! ghjkghkghkgh General Discussion 75 09-11-2009 09:02 PM
Cheers Cheers Cheers Chad General Discussion 8 09-07-2008 03:50 PM

Picketing chants / cheers

Old 10-30-2009 at 12:42 AM   #16
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

"Everything seems pretty OK" and "Anyone for scrabble later?" are my favourites!

maybe a cheer about them getting paid at least double what most other students are getting paid, and thats if they have a job even....

temara.brown likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 06:34 AM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Why don't you just keep working and get paid your normal wage?
Agree. Best solution of all.
Old 10-30-2009 at 07:25 AM   #18
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
"Everything seems pretty OK" and "Anyone for scrabble later?" are my favourites!

maybe a cheer about them getting paid at least double what most other students are getting paid, and thats if they have a job even....
Or I could just bypass the whole chanting bit and use this occasion as an excuse to pull out my socsci vuvuzela horn Let's see how long they can picket with me doing a marathon shift!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Ian Finlay likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 07:42 AM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
While you're all out there acting like children, make sure you're only yelling at the picketers who are being douchebags. I'll be out there freezing my ass off because I can't afford not to.
If you mean we'll be acting like children by yelling things at people...

THEY STARTED IT!!!

Ian Finlay, malycknm like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 07:44 AM   #20
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
If you mean we'll be acting like children by yelling things at people...

THEY STARTED IT!!!
Hmmm acting like children so: whining and complaining and throwing a temper tantrum cos mommy didn't give us that unicorn we wanted for our birthday?

malycknm, micadjems like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:34 AM   #21
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I've said all along that I don't want to strike. I didn't vote for it, and I definitely don't think it's necessary. If I could keep working without an interruption, I would.
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:59 AM   #22
hummeld

Quote:
I've said all along that I don't want to strike. I didn't vote for it, and I definitely don't think it's necessary. If I could keep working without an interruption, I would.
There are ways you could do just that. I'm not going to suggest a specific course of action, as each person's situation is different, but being on the picket line is a choice like any other.

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:16 AM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummeld View Post
There are ways you could do just that. I'm not going to suggest a specific course of action, as each person's situation is different, but being on the picket line is a choice like any other.
Quote for truth.

You don't need to picket... it's fairly obvious that you can continue to work.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:57 AM   #24
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Or I could just bypass the whole chanting bit and use this occasion as an excuse to pull out my socsci vuvuzela horn Let's see how long they can picket with me doing a marathon shift!
Huzaifa! We need you to break out the horn!!!! Turn this into a football match(soccer). One of the best parts of welcome week!

huzaifa47 says thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:53 AM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
While you're all out there acting like children, make sure you're only yelling at the picketers who are being douchebags. I'll be out there freezing my ass off because I can't afford not to.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this isn't about yelling at the TAs. This is about yelling random cheers so other students don't have to get yelled at by the pickets and don't have to deal with this crap.

All I'm doing is standing up for what I believe in, because students shouldn't have to deal with this since they have no say in the decision. Aren't the TAs just standing up for what their believe in?

A TA strike hurts students more than us chanting Welcome Week cheers hurts the strike, so why do you even care.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Old 10-30-2009 at 11:57 AM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
Huzaifa! We need you to break out the horn!!!! Turn this into a football match(soccer). One of the best parts of welcome week!
I was thinking an air horn might be a good idea. If any TAs try to yell at me, I blow the air horn and drown them out?
Old 10-30-2009 at 12:22 PM   #27
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
In my department (Eng. Physics) there is a form you can sign to continue TA'ing. The CUPE site even mentions that it is your legal right to be a strike breaker (they just .... 'discourage' it). I think the form is department specific, but your department will likely have something similar.

I don't believe in the strike either, which is why I'm signing that form and continuing to TA along with what seems like the vast majority of my department (with the notable exception of the one guy in these threads that is also on the CUPE bargaining team).

daisy, Taunton all say thanks to AYuen for this post.

daisy likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 02:27 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post
In my department (Eng. Physics) there is a form you can sign to continue TA'ing. The CUPE site even mentions that it is your legal right to be a strike breaker (they just .... 'discourage' it). I think the form is department specific, but your department will likely have something similar.

I don't believe in the strike either, which is why I'm signing that form and continuing to TA along with what seems like the vast majority of my department (with the notable exception of the one guy in these threads that is also on the CUPE bargaining team).
From what I can tell, there's not going to be many TA's (esp. undergrads) on the picket line.

daisy likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:25 PM   #29
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Now I have another good reason to get by the picket line as fast as possible.

I hope this doesn't turn into another headache like the Israel-Palestine thing.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:43 PM   #30
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Huzaifa... get low.. and let me hear you blow..

--

How about a "We love you scabs" cheer?