MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interview at the Silhouette? sushi Athletics & Recreation 6 04-10-2013 08:10 PM
The Silhouette is hiring BDecker1 Volunteering Opportunities 0 04-02-2012 08:38 AM
The Silhouette is Hiring Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-10-2009 01:30 PM
The Silhouette launches new website Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-20-2008 08:31 AM

So I just stumbled upon The Silhouette....

Old 03-04-2016 at 09:40 AM   #16
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
You're absolutely useless as a critic...
Stahp, you are hurting my feelings.

Oh great Gazoo, please explain why anyone would pay money to place ads in newspaper that no one reads? Because I clearly live under the rock.

The point still remains that we pay 183k to post a newspaper that has a reader base smaller than MacInsiders (gasp!), and we could use that money to sponsor more clubs. The newspaper can exist on theoretical ad revenue money, I don't care as long as I'm not paying for it.
Old 03-04-2016 at 12:41 PM   #17
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Companies don't count the number of people who read the paper: They look at the professionalism of the presentation, and the audience it's targeted at. The Sil isn't targeted at you, you feel like that means it not targeted at anyone, and therefore you think no one wants to pay to advertise with it... But that logic doesn't translate practically.

Look, it's not entirely funded by you; but inevitably, it is being subsidized. Like it or not, the people writing it now are in writing-based programs, or else enjoy developing their writing skills, so it's probably justified that it's subsidized to an extent...

Can we move along to the next thing you have a problem with, and derogatory terms to describe, but are unwilling to lift a finger on?
Old 03-04-2016 at 01:20 PM   #18
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Companies don't count the number of people who read the paper: They look at the professionalism of the presentation, and the audience it's targeted at. The Sil isn't targeted at you, you feel like that means it not targeted at anyone, and therefore you think no one wants to pay to advertise with it... But that logic doesn't translate practically.
Dude, targeting at someone and actually reaching the audience is 2 different things. Advertising is based on new customers generating revenue, if no one reads it, there are no customers. Therefore the effect of that advertisement is none, and if it's ineffective, it has little value to people trying to push their ads.

Quote:
Look, it's not entirely funded by you; but inevitably, it is being subsidized. Like it or not, the people writing it now are in writing-based programs, or else enjoy developing their writing skills, so it's probably justified that it's subsidized to an extent...
Wait, you didn't say why the rest should pay for them developing crap that no one reads. They pay their tuition, don't they? Why don't they pay for it with their own money. Why don't they do self-publishing online, that is free by the way, and do their editing/creative work there?

Or better yet, why not have an option to opt out from the payments, that way only people who don't read it won't will be paying for it.

Quote:
Can we move along to the next thing you have a problem with, and derogatory terms to describe, but are unwilling to lift a finger on?
I'll later make a thread trashing you about me trashing things while you yourself was trashing 2z03 a few years back, including calling for people to sign up petitions and shit. How did that petition work out by the way?
Old 03-04-2016 at 02:47 PM   #19
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Dude, targeting at someone and actually reaching the audience is 2 different things. Advertising is based on new customers generating revenue, if no one reads it, there are no customers. Therefore the effect of that advertisement is none, and if it's ineffective, it has little value to people trying to push their ads.
Yes. Targeting the audience is in fact all that matters for local advertisers and advertising companies... Don't believe me, go get involved and negotiate a contract for advertising with a company like CU advertising, or similar organizations.

Quote:
Why don't they ...

Or better yet, why not ...
Man, I don't know. You're passionately against the organization, GO DO something about it. I'm done with this. I've put my time in with these student-things. The difference between you and I is that I realized "Why don't they..." and "why not...", from an internet forum, and petitions like the one from 6 years ago, wouldn't get anyone anywhere.
Old 03-04-2016 at 04:22 PM   #20
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Man, I don't know. You're passionately against the organization, GO DO something about it.
I did. I came to Macinsiders and let other people know that The Sil makes furry photo shoots on our their money. I figured since no one reads it, no one knew about it.

Quote:
I'm done with this. I've put my time in with these student-things.
... dude you made a stupid internet petition because 2z03 was too hard and it was absolutely pointless. Don't try to teach me about time management.
Old 03-04-2016 at 04:32 PM   #21
mike_302
Elite Member

The point I've been making since the beginning is that coming to MacInsiders to spew derogatory criticisms, is not effective. I don't know why there's such a resistance to getting involved outside of MacInsiders but it's clear that's not going to change.

And while I don't think the 2Z03 petition as effective as it could've been, it was repeated the following year by other students; eventually the course was also modified, although I won't claim petitions did it...
Old 03-04-2016 at 08:10 PM   #22
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Why is 2Z03 pointless? (not trying to stir up anything, genuinely curious).

In certain professions I suppose (social media '''expert''', marketing, business, 'coder', ...), but for others I'd imagine you'd be better off understanding ODE's and such.
Old 03-04-2016 at 08:16 PM   #23
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
Why is 2Z03 pointless? (not trying to stir up anything, genuinely curious).

In certain professions I suppose (social media '''expert''', marketing, business, 'coder', ...), but for others I'd imagine you'd be better off understanding ODE's and such.
It's not, the 2ZZ3 (not 2Z03, sorry) petition created by mike_302 about 5 years ago was.

Here it was: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=41105
Old 03-04-2016 at 10:03 PM   #24
WestxWest

Liked: 1 Time

I've made an active effort to read a few issues of The Sil in my time here at Mac and my only conclusion is that it's garbage even for a school newspaper. I think writing for The Sil has nothing to do with serious journalism, it's really just resume filler so kids can say "hey look, I have writing credits" once they graduate.

As someone who is neither white nor male - I actually cringed when I read the recent article called "Praise for the stunningly ordinary: Or five things we need to stop praising white guys for" I was literally sitting there confused like how does being white equate to getting praised for being a stay at home dad? Or even more so than a dad of another race? The newspaper is literally just packed with buzzfeed styled nonsense pandering to what is thought to be a "hot topic" at the moment.

Last edited by WestxWest : 03-04-2016 at 10:10 PM.

GeorgeLucas likes this.
Old 03-04-2016 at 11:32 PM   #25
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

WestxWest

Would you say $183k a year is too much for those guys and they shouldn't leech off the others?
Old 03-05-2016 at 12:12 AM   #26
justicebeaver

I would really like a breakdown of the 183k.
Old 03-05-2016 at 12:26 AM   #27
WestxWest

Quote:
WestxWest

Would you say $183k a year is too much for those guys and they shouldn't leech off the others?
For the quality of the paper I would say $183k/yr is way too much, but last years budget for The Sil was actually $195,100 and this year was $200K which will increase by $10K next year, plus they take paid advertisements. If you look into the budget it goes into publication costs obviously, but also paying certain staff members, buying new computers, they also requested a Mac Laptop because it will help them with "livestreaming and general media", and new office chairs because the ones they have are "leftovers".

According to the fees breakdown students pay $8.01 each for The Silhouette - while publications like the campus magazine which produces much better content only costs students 96cents. I wouldn't cut their budget altogether nor would I say they shouldn't leech off others considering Mac has us paying a lot more pointless fees. But, I really think The Silhouette switching to online publication and forfeiting the prints which barely get read is a better way to go environmentally and financially.
Old 03-05-2016 at 12:35 AM   #28
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
they also requested a Mac Laptop because it will help them with "livestreaming and general media", and new office chairs because the ones they have are "leftovers".
What? Really? Can you give me a source for that?

What the hell, can't they use library computers or are they not stylish enough?

Quote:
I would really like a breakdown of the 183k.
I emailed MSU asking for more information just for shits-n-giggles, let's see what they do next.
Old 03-05-2016 at 12:50 AM   #29
justicebeaver

If they're thinking a latop is what you need for "livestreaming and general media" they're going to have a good time facebooking and tweeting
Old 03-05-2016 at 01:15 AM   #30
WestxWest

Quote:
What? Really? Can you give me a source for that?

What the hell, can't they use library computers or are they not stylish enough?

I emailed MSU asking for more information just for shits-n-giggles, let's see what they do next.
Macinsider is not letting me post a url for some reason but it's from last year's MSU budget. Just search 2014-15 MSU Budget and scroll down on the PDF to The Silhouette on page 12 as well as page 16. I'll also try sending the link as a personal message.