MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:45 PM   #1
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

THINGS you wished you knew!
Hello y'all

I am a new student at mac joining this September in life sciences and I just wanted to

get some info.

THIS is to all upper year students at mac:

Tell us first-year students the things you wish you had known when you were in your first-year.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 06-19-2010 at 08:49 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Hmm, very good question I must say.
I wish I knew/realized how extremely fast the year passes by in university. You blink, and first year is over..

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:59 PM   #3
JeetDevDesai

is it true that the first year is the hardest?
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:02 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
Not if you're in commerce.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

dsouzajj2010 likes this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:07 PM   #5
JeetDevDesai

lol not gonna work for me i guess....since i am in life sci =)
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:08 PM   #6
sana1504

Liked: 7 Times

Good thread!
I know this sounds kinda obvious, but review your notes after each lecture, and make a short summary of your class notes every day.

I wished I planned my midterms and labs on a calendar in the first week of school, so I could see if my labs and tests were spaced out.

Don't hesitate to get help, you're paying over 5K for university anyways!
Go for free tutoring for chem and physics in Thode basement.

Last edited by sana1504 : 06-19-2010 at 09:11 PM.

JeetDevDesai, MacPack, omgmt, TeleKey all say thanks to sana1504 for this post.

belindz!, DMe3, firenbell like this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:12 PM   #7
JeetDevDesai

lol I have to remember that one...physics isn't my forte!
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:12 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I 'wish' I knew was the importance of going to office hours and tutor help from the TAs, I tried to learn it all on my own and it was a lot more difficult than it had to be.

I 'wish' I networked more and formed study group sessions.

I 'wish' I had set up a meal plan of some kind (I'm off-campus), so I would have gotten the minor discount on campus food and got rid of the need to sort through my wallet to get moneys (small time reduction..)

I 'wish' I didn't purchase some of the textbooks I didn't end up needing (found on line)

I 'wished I didn't skip math.

I 'wish' I actually put reading week to good use (LAWL)

Thats all I can think of right now.

JeetDevDesai, TeleKey all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 06-19-2010 at 09:14 PM   #9
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

I agree with Sana, the best advice I can give you is to review your notes after every class. Start studying early for a midterm/ exam. Purchase a McMaster calendar from Titles and keep track of all your assignments. I just finished first year life science, and I wish I had known and realized that chemistry was going to be a pain in the ass and had studied way way in advance.

Good luck

P.S. Another word of advice: check out Titles classifieds, the library, or online before purchasing new textbooks.

Last edited by Needlenose : 06-19-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:14 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

It depends what program you're in. For me, second year was DEFINITELY, without a doubt, harder than first year. By a LONGSHOT.

Things I wish I knew...get started on looking for off-campus housing early!!! (apparently, over the december break wasn't early enough!)

Get your work done, but take the time to explore hamilton and do things with friends, even if it may mean a worse mark or being less prepared for a test. In the end, you won't remember studying, you'll remember that night you got shitfaced with a bunch of your friends, and tried to climb a tree but got stuck in it and couldn't get down. Have fun and don't do work all the time. Make sure you make time for fun, too.

BigT905, mc_kumar like this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:15 PM   #11
JeetDevDesai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
I agree with Sana, the best advice I can give you is to review your notes after every class. Start studying early for a midterm/ exam. Purchase a McMaster calendar from Titles and keep track of all your assignments. I just finished first year life science, and I wish I had known and realized that chemistry was going to be a pain in the ass and had studied way way in advance.

Good luck
what is a mcmaster calender???
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:17 PM   #12
JeetDevDesai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
[/color][/color]

It depends what program you're in. For me, second year was DEFINITELY, without a doubt, harder than first year. By a LONGSHOT.

Things I wish I knew...get started on looking for off-campus housing early!!! (apparently, over the december break wasn't early enough!)

Get your work done, but take the time to explore hamilton and do things with friends, even if it may mean a worse mark or being less prepared for a test. In the end, you won't remember studying, you'll remember that night you got shitfaced with a bunch of your friends, and tried to climb a tree but got stuck in it and couldn't get down. Have fun and don't do work all the time. Make sure you make time for fun, too.
i am on waiting list for residency my first year so i have strted looking for off-campus housing but i do need help...Thaks for advice!
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:17 PM   #13
sana1504

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
what is a mcmaster calender???
You get a free one from the McMaster Student Union during Welcome Week in the student centre.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to sana1504 for this post.

JeetDevDesai, m.lam like this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:34 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I think a lot of people find first year the hardest because of all the required courses you need to get into a second year program. Also, you get a large wall calendar at the beginning of the year with your MSU student pack that you get in the student centre in the first few days of school. It's really useful with planning and such. Like Sana said, it helps you see how much time you have for tests/labs and keep track of all the important dates in one place.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:42 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

First year is truly no harder than any other year of your education. As with every new year, you will have challenges: new textbooks with a richer vocabulary, profs who speak faster, more homework, more hours spent reading more pages faster, having to make less notes and make more efficient notes, spending less time memorizing and more time understanding things like the derivations of formulas and being able to process things in a variety of different ways. You'll learn to be able to see derivations, prove derivations and explain them in words. You won't be asked to draw pictures in your multiple choice first year exams but learning from first year means being able to take those steps on your own.

This is what I wished I knew:
  • Sleep. You should treasure every moment of sleep ESPECIALLY if you commute or if you're prone to getting sick.
  • Eat well and stay hydrated. Fruits and vegetables and protein are your friends. Multivitamins are your best friends.
  • Commuting is never as easy as everybody states. Especially if you're in science or engineering. It may be easier with a major like English simply because reading a novel on the bus is much easier than reading a mathematical proof while trying to balance your calculator, a pencil and your clipboard and trying to work through some other algebra to make it make sense. Sure, it's just one hour on the GO max, but you have to wait for the buses and wait for a ride home, unless you take city transit which can be a lot more painful. The next time somebody suggests commuting, suggest that they try it first.
  • Do readings before class. Not because everybody says you should but because this way, lectures will be like review sessions instead of hearing the material being rushed through in 50 minutes.
  • Plan things in advance. If you're nearing exam time and you find the profs still have a lot to cover, start covering it yourself.
  • Start planning for exams 1 month in advance. 6 weeks if you can. You just want this material to be second nature to you. You have the time, might as well make use of it.
  • Go to office hours. Get to know your profs and TA's better.
  • Do the homework problems.
  • Make notes in class; don't just wait for the full notes.
  • If you're falling asleep in class, you might as well be flushing your money down the toilet. Find a time slot that works better for you.
  • Fruit juice > Coffee.
  • Never EVER mix coffee and Advil Cold and Sinus. Both are stimulants. You don't want your hands shaking during an exam.
  • Ask questions. Don't interrupt too much of class time to do it but ask questions. Professors are there to help and they are usually quite approachable.
  • Please do not stand and ask professors a million questions while a line forms behind you. That's just insensitive.
  • Always eat before an exam and eat on time. It'll keep you sharp.
  • Stock up on glucose right before an exam. (Psych 1XX3 tip)
  • If you manage your time, you can still have a ton left to volunteer, watch movies, catch up with friends and go out but you have to take the effort to organize things
  • Study tables are your friends - Kajjura.
  • Do your laundry on time
  • It's better to lose a bit of money and keep your textbooks as references for a few years or so, than waste your times making carbon copies of the books. This isn't high school; you can keep the book instead of everything in it written in your own handwriting
  • Save time for your friends and just hanging out. If you budget your time, you should be able to make some of the best friendships of your life here

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AnnaWM, belindz!, BigT905, Carly., Desda, DMe3, JeetDevDesai, m0nica, MacPack, nikki12, RyanC, ruby101, tatski-p all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.