MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-22-2010 at 09:38 PM   #151
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Okay, so the cooler idea really won't work for you. I don't mean this in a bad way, but why would you want to come to Mac all the way from BC? I mean mac's life sci isn't anything special. Health sci, I would understand.

To answer your questions: if you want brown food, there are a few people around here that will cook the food in bulk and sell it to you. Basically, its a paid mom...I don't have contact info, but I guess you could look around for that, and trust me you'll be fine without any relative knowledge of cooking. I had about 5 other first year guys living with me, and none of us knew how to cook, but we were fine without meal plans. All of us just found meal plans to be hassles cuase we would have to go on-campus to eat, and most of the on-campus food places are at the back end, so it would be a really long walk.

As far as laptops: the only specs that really matter are hard drive space and battery life. People tend to depend on their laptop for most of their entertainments (ie shows, games, etc), so you tend download stuff a lot more. I'm a PC just b/c I have been used to the windows OS, and don't see any gains by switching to a mac, and you don't seem to get as good of specs for the money with macs, but its really you're choice. There is no wrong answer.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to lmasud for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 08:37 PM   #152
meena101

Liked: 4 Times

Sleep properly ! The one thing that messes with everyone in school is that nobody sleeps properly so make sure u do
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:18 PM   #153
Shananaghens

Liked: 3 Times

Tutorials and exam study sessions held by TA's were really, REALLY helpful - I wish I went to all of them... would've done so much better.
I also wish I knew how quickly due dates approach, because the one thing people don't expect when you get to university is how much content and assignments are jam packed within a week. I'm in envirosci and i had ATLEAST 3 labs due a week - my suggestion? Get started on them ASAP!

Sandra Shan says thanks to Shananaghens for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:39 PM   #154
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Are there any good brown restaurant on or close to campus. I barely even know any where i live since my mom and neighbour provided enough!
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:31 AM   #155
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Are there any good brown restaurant on or close to campus. I barely even know any where i live since my mom and neighbour provided enough!
Theres one down main street. Its like a 2 min walk from the Mr. Sub I believe. Its called Indian Garden, but I've heard mixed opnions about it
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:43 AM   #156
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
You can always eat the terrible butter chicken and naan Commons serves on 'Indian Night'

Old 06-24-2010 at 11:58 AM   #157
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You can always eat the terrible butter chicken and naan Commons serves on 'Indian Night'
Tastes good for the first couple of bites, then you start feeling kinda disgusting.
Old 06-24-2010 at 01:26 PM   #158
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
Tastes good for the first couple of bites, then you start feeling kinda disgusting.
I dunno about the butter chicken, I've never had it, but I was a big fan of the paneer..
Old 06-24-2010 at 07:31 PM   #159
HeavenFury

Liked: 0 Times

Something I wish I have known? Hmm...

Pay attention on lecture, keep up with the materials, do the assignments. And you don't have to spend much time studying for exams.
Old 06-25-2010 at 11:39 AM   #160
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenFury View Post
Something I wish I have known? Hmm...

Pay attention on lecture, keep up with the materials, do the assignments. And you don't have to spend much time studying for exams.
So easy, yet so hard. Every year since the middle of highschool I tell myself the same thing, yet I always do the opposite! WHY?!?!?!?! Lol. I guess nothing crazy horrible has happened to me in order for me to change my ways, I wish it did in like highschool because I feel like one day I'm going to destroy my entire education >.<
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:20 PM   #161
Jelmo

Liked: 0 Times

I was wondering...
a lot of you said that bringing laptops to class is a nono.
should we just bring a desktop then?
or bring a netbook with a desktop?
-->
is there any actual point in bring a laptop?
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:25 PM   #162
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelmo View Post
I was wondering...
-->
If you have the willpower to not waste your time during class on your laptop then there is no harm bringing it. I take notes on my laptop all the time. I grew up with computers so I naturally type faster than I would be able to write so I use my laptop all the time.

Classes you shouldn't bring your laptop to: Any math based classes (math and physics for example) as well as chemistry.

A laptop is always nice to have, if you want to study in the library you can just bring your laptop. Otherwise you have to find a computer, which can be difficult during midterms and exams, as well as bring a USB with all the files you need (or you could e-mail the files to yourself).
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:27 PM   #163
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

Which one should I take?

Physics 1B03 or 1LS3?
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:29 PM   #164
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelmo View Post
I was wondering...
-->
You will need some sort of computer in uni and it's pretty damn helpful if it's portable. It's also really helpful to have electronic notes. If you plan to game go for the desktop + netbook combo, if not get yourself a solid laptop. You might even want to consider one of those HP convertible tablet laptops, they make taking notes in Math and Chemistry possible and and have solid battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
Which one should I take?

Physics 1B03 or 1LS3?
If you're aiming for medschool you might as well take Physics 1B03 (and 1BB3), if not, take 1LS3

Last edited by Tailsnake : 06-25-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:29 PM   #165
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
Which one should I take?

Physics 1B03 or 1LS3?
What's your physics background? Do you like physics? What programs do you want to apply for second year? What profession are you thinking about going into?