MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities Cheers! Megan11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-12-2010 10:16 AM
cheers and dissings ... cmhtbx General Discussion 14 09-07-2010 10:41 PM
Picketing chants / cheers DannyV General Discussion 42 11-02-2009 12:03 PM
Cheers Cheers Cheers Chad General Discussion 8 09-07-2008 03:50 PM

Three Cheers For The Hsr!

Old 09-10-2009 at 01:22 PM   #31
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

In our bio PBL we found out that the HSR will no longer be going through McMaster in a few years and that its going to be a pedestrian campus only..
Old 09-10-2009 at 01:24 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
In our bio PBL we found out that the HSR will no longer be going through McMaster in a few years and that its going to be a pedestrian campus only..
Yes, that is the plan the University is trying to implement... without the consideration of students.

The MSU has been working to fight this change for over a year now, as I said previously.
Old 09-10-2009 at 01:40 PM   #33
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
The problem is that students are effing busy and sometimes the extra ten minutes I can save by catching a bus outside my classroom as opposed to across the campus on main street can mean getting to work on time as opposed to being late.

It makes everything less efficient. It's not laziness, it's a requirement for speed and efficiency.
I absolutely adore the excuse of "OH, I'm too busy with school/work/ECs that I can't spend 10 minutes to do X. But I'm going to spend Y number of hours going out with friends, watching TV, surfing the internet, etc."
Old 09-10-2009 at 01:55 PM   #34
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I don't understand why people have been hit though, there's a million stop signs on campus, so no one is going fast - it's clear that people are just aren't looking when they're crossing which is very unfortunate.

Most of my classes are around the student centre too, and having to walk from Main St wouldn't be fun esp. if I'm running late. Blah.
I almost had my feet run over today cause the driver was looking in another direction and didnt stop on the cross walk..

I'm all in for the caterpillar buses lol..I can only hope the 8 o clock rush hour has improved as well..

Old 09-10-2009 at 02:25 PM   #35
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Well, the MSU has been working with the University and HSR since they started this "get the buses off campus" thing... VP Admin Andrew Richardson has been working on this for more than a year. It's definitely a work in progress... it's not like we aren't doing anything though. I'm just not sure what else there is for us to do within professional diplomatic channels.
I and I'm sure many of my fellow students do appreciate what the SRA have done, and can appreciate (especially considering how badly your former president was treated by the MSU) how tough it is to do the work that you people do.

Keep it up!
Old 09-10-2009 at 02:30 PM   #36
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
I almost had my feet run over today cause the driver was looking in another direction and didnt stop on the cross walk..
It's sad, but there are some pretty bad drivers on the HSR. I was almost struck two years ago crossing by a driver who stopped, looked the other way and then hit the gas (without looking to see if a me was coming). I was pretty upset, but thankfully his reflexes caught on to my yelling.

That being said, there are some excellent drivers too. I once saw a driver offer to take a student's empty coffee cup (he had a bag for garbage beside him). Everyone knows Mr. "Good afternoon. Thank you!" and all of the other great drivers we love. It's too bad that they all can't be that nice and contentious, but there are some really great ones.
Old 09-10-2009 at 04:57 PM   #37
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I love all the HSR drivers except for the crazy 51 lady.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 09-10-2009 at 07:56 PM   #38
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
It's sad, but there are some pretty bad drivers on the HSR. I was almost struck two years ago crossing by a driver who stopped, looked the other way and then hit the gas (without looking to see if a me was coming). I was pretty upset, but thankfully his reflexes caught on to my yelling.

That being said, there are some excellent drivers too. I once saw a driver offer to take a student's empty coffee cup (he had a bag for garbage beside him). Everyone knows Mr. "Good afternoon. Thank you!" and all of the other great drivers we love. It's too bad that they all can't be that nice and contentious, but there are some really great ones.
Speaking of which, I was just on the 51 and we almost SMOKED this one chick in front of us. I'm surprised a caterpillar bus could stop that fast.

Speaking of rude drivers, one of the buses had the sign that said "McMaster" or whatever (it was going to McMaster), and I just asked the driver "do you go close Haddon and Main" and he just gave me the stink eye and said "why don't you just read the sign." Double you tee eff. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-10-2009 at 07:58 PM   #39
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Speaking of rude drivers, one of the buses had the sign that said "McMaster" or whatever (it was going to McMaster), and I just asked the driver "do you go close Haddon and Main" and he just gave me the stink eye and said "why don't you just read the sign." Double you tee eff. XD
You're -still- complaining about that?
Old 09-10-2009 at 08:00 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
You're -still- complaining about that?
Obviously it's complaining if you're just sharing your experience and obviously I'm still upset with my "XD."

Go back to shopping, you girl. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:05 PM   #41
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Obviously it's complaining if you're just sharing your experience and obviously I'm still upset with my "XD."

Go back to shopping, you girl. XD
I would, but stores are closed :(
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:24 PM   #42
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
By that argument, we should get rid of all roads, it reduces accidents. I prefer the usefulness of the bus thank you.
I'm sorry but that is a fairly idiotic rebut. Life is about mitigating risks while achieving necessary ends - it doesn't take a particularly clever individual to make the assessment that having to walk an additional 5 minutes to obtain the same service in exchange for less people being hit by a f ucking bus produces a net positive gain. Perhaps you are oblivious to the higher pedestrian density on a university campus vs an open public road. Students essentially use the roads on campus like sidewalks - this is not typical behavior on off-campus roadways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
And lets see how you like it having to walk that in the winter. Or in the sun today, getting your face burnt
I've walked to school on a regular basis, summer or winter, for 4 years. Your complaining about walking 5 minutes to a bus stop when the sun is out? Really?
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:42 PM   #43
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
There are probably more bicycle vs pedestrian incidents possibly even more serious than the bus accidents overall, but nobody is talking about banning bikes from the campus.

Banning bikes, losing the streets to all service vehicles, and mowing the lawns by hand would eliminate accidents, but given the terrible imbalance of cost and gain it's not done. Similar things could be said for the HSR routing issue.
So your entire argument is based on an unfounded piece of info that you pulled out of your butt which is "probably" true.

Well, there are probably more annual alien abductions on campus than there are students, so we should possibly all go and buy tinfoil hats.
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:43 PM   #44
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I'm sorry but that is a fairly idiotic rebut. Life is about mitigating risks while achieving necessary ends - it doesn't take a particularly clever individual to make the assessment that having to walk an additional 5 minutes to obtain the same service in exchange for less people being hit by a f ucking bus produces a net positive gain. Perhaps you are oblivious to the higher pedestrian density on a university campus vs an open public road. Students essentially use the roads on campus like sidewalks - this is not typical behavior on off-campus roadways.

I've walked to school on a regular basis, summer or winter, for 4 years. Your complaining about walking 5 minutes to a bus stop when the sun is out? Really?
Well I'm glad Rambo(not to be taken that I think you are Rambo, this is a jest).

Anyway, the density will stay the same, it will just move to a busier area(main street). Figure that one, if you're so smart, I hope this isn't idiotic for ya.

I'm not so sure about the benefits of not getting hit, as has been stated, Main street will pose a whole new safety risk.I also hope you can see the non-idiocy here.

Also, when I need to get to class, I will be cursing the bus if it takes me to the edge of campus, instead of to the middle of it, for the simple fact that I have to make that effort while probably tired or half asleep.

Please don't take things LITERALLY, and call illustrative arguments idiotic, it's not very nice.

In fact, I would appreciate it if you showed a little thought in considering my(our) arguments for keeping the service. Just cause you don't use it, doesn't mean other people don't.

I hope you feel good about yourself having bolstered about your superior walking skills.

Also here's one for you genius: if we cut those routes, are we in fact killing off Westale to the people coming from campus: think of getting to CIBC, Snooty, flower shops on foot Forrest(Gump in case you missed the reference).

EDIT: WE SHOULD GET TINFOIL HATS< THEY ARE USEFUL
Old 09-10-2009 at 09:57 PM   #45
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post

A cleverer response from me(that last one was pretty kneejerk to the idiotic comment): You haven't provided any quantification of how much help the bus is to students. I mean, I already know that the hit by a bus thing is a *rare* occurrence since otherwise this move wouldn't have taken so long(the benefits of not moving>risks till 2010 somehow), but think of how many people are taking the bus. I've taken pictures before and I will take them again...there are CROWDS of people. In fact, last year I waited >1hour to get on a bus because they were so packed with students(not something you'd know having walked all these years). Now you will tell those students to walk to their class, in -20 weather(in winter). If it doesn't make them late, it will at least take some time for their bodies to return to normal so their brain can learn. Even in summer, you will have people coming in distracted because of the heat. Maybe Rambo can do learning after walking in heat/freezing weather, but we are human beings.