MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biochem 3G03 or Hth Sci 3K03? Only room for one Anaam Academics 12 09-04-2009 08:38 PM

Biochem 3G03

Biochem 3G03
Proteins & Nucleic Acids
Published by BenScott
06-03-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 83%
Biochem 3G03

Both Dr. Yang and Dr. Bishop have a lot of passion for what they lectured on, making the lectures interesting but sadly not all that relevant to getting marks in the course. I say that because the majority of the questions on the tests come from past years. If you do the practice tests you'll get through the tests easily.

The content is also straightforward, with the only tricky stuff surrounding calculating the isoelectric point (pI) of a protein. But once you grasp that you'll do fine!

The course gave me a whole new appreciation of how structure and function of a protein are related. Recommended!

Harlequin, salimak all say thanks to BenScott for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biochem 3G03!

Old 06-04-2010 at 07:44 PM   #2
Squectangle

Liked: 14 Times
Just a note on the tests. Read the questions VERY carefully. Dr. Yang (who made all the questions for the course) posts all of the past midterms, therefore he knows that people will tend to memorize answers from previous questions. However, for most of the questions on your current test, there will be subtle changes to the wording or addition/deletion of words that can easily alter the entire outcome of the question. I know plenty of people who missed easy marks because of stupid misreadings.

Oh, and Dr. Yang is a funny guy. He takes many opportunities to talk about his orange farm in China and random family stories.

kquan21 likes this.
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:59 AM   #3
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time
what are the midterms and finals like?
m/c, short answers? Are there any other forms of evaluations for this course?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010 at 09:41 AM   #4
BenScott

The midterms and the final were entirely multiple choice. I forgot to mention that you have a choice of writing the final or not. If you choose not to write it, your grade comes entirely from your midterms.

They were the only thing you're marked on for the course.

Old 06-15-2010 at 08:43 AM   #5
precious

Does anyone know the name of the textbook used for this course?
Old 06-15-2010 at 05:51 PM   #6
BenScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious View Post
Does anyone know the name of the textbook used for this course?
Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level by Voet.

3rd edition is the newest, however I used the 2nd edition just fine.

The textbook isn't mandatory but it's certainly helpful!
Old 06-15-2010 at 05:53 PM   #7
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
Is it just midterms and a final then? Or assignments too?
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:05 PM   #8
ireena

Does anyone have any old tests/notes for this course that they'd be willing to sell??
let me know!
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:51 PM   #9
sambhuvan

Liked: 0 Times
is that the same textbook for biochem 2ee3?
Old 07-19-2010 at 01:59 PM   #10
ireena

actually yeah, someone said above that it's the same text that we would have used in biochem 2EE3. does anyone have any old tests for this class that they'd be willing to sell?
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:24 PM   #11
sambhuvan

does anyone have the course outline?
Old 08-22-2010
nerual
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-22-2010 at 06:58 PM   #12
BenScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireena View Post
Does anyone have any old tests/notes for this course that they'd be willing to sell??
let me know!

You're provided with a whole bunch of past years tests through learnlink when the course starts. As for notes, they're only powerpoint presentations unless people took their own notes.
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:20 PM   #13
teresa

Do profs provide students with figure/chapter references from the old (2ed.) textbook as well as the new one? or just from the new textbook?
Old 09-09-2010 at 01:43 PM   #14
PBurge

Does anyone know if its a good idea to take biochem 3g03 before biochem 2ee3. I've noticed that 2ee3 isn't required for 3g03, but the textbook is the same. any thoughts or opinions?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search