MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biochem 3G03 or Hth Sci 3K03? Only room for one Anaam Academics 12 09-04-2009 08:38 PM

Biochem 3G03

Old 06-03-2010 at 06:14 PM   #46
BenScott

Liked: 1 Time

Biochem 3G03
Both Dr. Yang and Dr. Bishop have a lot of passion for what they lectured on, making the lectures interesting but sadly not all that relevant to getting marks in the course. I say that because the majority of the questions on the tests come from past years. If you do the practice tests you'll get...

all say thanks to BenScott for this post.
Old 09-13-2011 at 08:39 PM   #45
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
He posts them anyway. Besides.... health sci's have access to tests in numerous courses that's only accessible to them on learn-link...
If the prof posts their own tests, it's not academic dishonesty. Read any course outline, and it will say you're not supposed to post course material online. It belongs to the prof/school, and not you, and it's not yours to distribute or sell as you see fit. Allowing a certain proportion of students access to these materials gives them an unfair advantage, and the whole basis of academic honesty is to ensure everyone has an equal chance to do well, and they are doing well based on their own merits and not because they had access to something the rest of the class did not. Whether or not distribution of materials online actually enforced, it's academic dishonesty.
Old 09-14-2011 at 10:03 PM   #46
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohoangv View Post
easy easy class (easy 11 or 12). there is a test bank so as long as you know how to do those questions, you're good to go (hint: go to the tutorials before the test if you cant figure out the answers)
We don't have a tutorial scheduled this year... when did they take that out? And whyy??? If that's the best way to figure out the questions T_T
Old 05-27-2012 at 10:19 PM   #47
Tharshni.V

Liked: 0 Times
Hey I will be taking Biochem 3G03 in september, but I wanted to know a little more about the other biochem courses offered. I wasn't able to find any reviews on Biochem 3X03 (macromolecules)...ca n anyone give me some feedback? Would be better to take 2EE3 instead in terms of easiness?
Old 05-28-2012 at 04:23 PM   #48
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharshni.V View Post
Hey I will be taking Biochem 3G03 in september, but I wanted to know a little more about the other biochem courses offered. I wasn't able to find any reviews on Biochem 3X03 (macromolecules)...ca n anyone give me some feedback? Would be better to take 2EE3 instead in terms of easiness?
I personally didn't like 2EE3 or 3G03 and I haven't taken 3X03, but I would recommend 2EE3 over 3G03 as class and the prof are not useful for 3G03 at all and it's all about knowing how to solve questions from old tests. However with 2EE3, I felt like I actually learned something when I went to class, despite some questions on tests being a little random.
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:35 AM   #49
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
Judging from the reviews, going to class was pretty useless right? There are no tutorials this year though. Does he usually give the solutions for the practice tests?
Old 10-11-2012 at 10:53 PM   #50
kikelomo

It doesn't matter which one you take first. However, most people that I know who have taken both usually take 2ee3 first than 3g03. I have taken both courses and I think that the content is relatively different. 2EE3 is general and 3G03 more specific.
Old 01-07-2013 at 04:36 PM   #51
wellsjr

BIOCHEM 2EE3 isn't really needed for 3G03. It does not focus on cell metabolism at all.

Dr. Yang gives the solutions to all the midterms. Hint: Study from the past tests because he likes to reuse questions, in particular ones the class did not do well on.

Last edited by jhan523 : 01-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2013 at 03:48 PM   #52
wasim azher

Liked: 4 Times
Hey guys. how is the course now, as of 2013?
Old 09-22-2013 at 12:25 PM   #53
comte

Liked: 16 Times
Well, same as I've read so far, but I find prof. Yang interesting to talk too for a more general conversation on biological & chemical models. He's also eager to help out, as well as giving major hints for evaluations as I found out from him that he, too, dislikes the current evaluations schemes but there is a lacks of a practical alternative, thus he gives all those hints.

The text for the course, Essential biochem 3rd ed, is much simpler that other bio texts where there isn't so much 'filler' compared to useful information as well as being much shorter. Which is why, I opted to invest in the hard-cover and I don't regret it.

Lastly, this course seems to me more like a compiler course for bio & chem upto 3rd year courses thus far. But, that's only the evaluation part, whereas prof Yang & lectures are more for developing my thinking abilities, which I'd say I've quite significantly benefitted from.

Overall, my fav course of the semester.
Old 06-10-2014 at 10:41 PM   #54
beebee2

Liked: 4 Times
Is this one similar to BIOCHEM 2EE3? :S
Old 06-11-2014 at 12:13 AM   #55
gunsnroses

Liked: 3 Times
I heard they're making this course suuuuper hard. Is this true?
Old 09-05-2014 at 10:15 AM   #56
nimanims

Is anyone planning to drop the course? I am in a dire situation where I need it as a req for professional school. Please PM if you are. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2015 at 03:36 AM   #57
Kobina.Baiden

does anyone have a current review of this course they would like to share?? thanks
Old 05-18-2015 at 06:27 PM   #58
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobina.Baiden View Post
does anyone have a current review of this course they would like to share?? thanks
I took the course during term 1 of the 2014-2015 year. The breakdown of the course was as follows:

5 tests (lowest test dropped from calculation of final mark) + 1 mandatory test (kinda like an exam) = final grade calculated based on 5 tests worth 20% each

Evaluations were all MC, with each test consisting of 25 questions and occuring EOW. The first 5 tests were non-cumulative. The final test was sort of cumulative but had an emphasis on new material and select textbook chapters. I really liked the marking scheme because 1) it allows you to drop your worst test and 2) there is no final exam so you will have more time during the exam period to study for other exams.

Dr. Yang gives you past/practice tests beforehand which is very helpful. I recommend going through the practice tests and understanding how to solve the types of questions on there. If you do that, there is no reason to not do well.

Overall, I found this course to be enjoyable and not too difficult to do well in. One of the easier third year courses for sure.

As for the textbook - most likely you won't need it for the first five tests as the lecture slides/notes are more than sufficient, however, you will need it for the final test. I would recommend getting a pdf copy since you will not be using it that much.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.
Old 06-14-2015 at 01:27 PM   #59
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
Literally, get all of his past tests (2008-2014) and just study them. He put like 2-3 new questions, the rest were straight from past tests. Easiest 3rd year course hands down and Dr. Yang is entertaining. Don't ever need to go to class, he just hands out 12s

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search