MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chemistry 1AA3 Questions TLulu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-01-2010 10:59 AM

Chemistry 1AA3

Old 07-01-2008 at 07:02 PM   #46
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chemistry 1AA3
Overview
Chemistry 1AA3 is a continuation of Chem 1A03 and discusses organic chemistry, additional bonding topics (orbital hybridization), chemical kinetics, buffer solutions, intermolecular forces, and a new topic,...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

likes this.
Old 04-25-2010 at 12:16 AM   #45
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
Chem 1AA3
This was my favourite class in first year (well, second to Chem 1A03).

The material covered in 1AA3 is pretty interesting for the most part - it has some variety with more math-based problems (rates, buffers) and non-math based (aromaticity, chem bio, organic chem). I found them all equally interesting.

The first midterm was difficult because of the terrible wording of some questions, but the material itself was not too bad because the midterm came fairly early on.

The second midterm was difficult, because it basically encompassed what most people feel is the most difficult two units - organic chem and buffers - in one test.

The exam, I honestly found very difficult. The 3 mark questions, most people spent half the time allotted for the exam and still got only a couple pf them correct. The 2 markers were okay, but it makes it difficult to get a 12 in the course.
Old 04-25-2010 at 09:25 AM   #46
maclover

Liked: 55 Times
Overall, this course was very interesting. The chemical concepts were easy to understand. The prof- Dr.Hatala, was absolutely amazing in terms of clarity, communication skills, and knowledge. However, the tests were relatively hard for this course in that they were tricky and required you to go to the next level in terms of knowledge and application of concepts. The exam was pretty much the same thing as tests. So, in totality, I would recommend to study smart, not just hard. Learn how to apply concepts and not just memorize content because that is what will help you in the tests and exams which are the tough part of this course.
Old 04-29-2010 at 12:35 PM   #47
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times
I found that this course was overall more interesting than its predecessor, but the evaluations were moreso "out to get us," rather than testing our knowledge and ability to apply concepts that were EMPHASIZED in class. Definitely do not take this course unless you absolutely have to!
Old 06-04-2010 at 01:34 PM   #48
chrihong

Liked: 1 Time
Don't put your labs on friday afternoons are else you get screwed over with no time to review because the midterms are always on friday nights.

_Mike likes this.
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:47 PM   #49
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Chem 1AA3 is the 2nd part of the 'intro chemistry' series of courses. I had Dr. Valliant as my professor, and I enjoyed his lectures (whenever I actually woke up early enough to attend, as they were 8:30 classes). The material was somewhat interesting, if you're interested in the experimental side of chemistry (which is the basis and vast majority of chemistry).

The first midterm was very straight-forward in terms of material, but was made more difficult by the wording. However, I'm not a fan of the rote-method that is required for basic organic chemistry, and thus preferred the 2nd midterm. I found the 2nd midterm easier since it had a greater proportion of questions (buffers) that could be figured out as opposed to questions that required the memorization of certain concepts.

The final exam was difficult, but got a bit of a boost. Overall, I found this course to be a lot more challenging (and less interesting) than Chemistry 1A03, the prerequisite.

Old 06-09-2010 at 06:55 PM   #50
ecoghlan

Liked: 2 Times
so hard. that is all.

_Mike likes this.
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:23 AM   #51
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoghlan View Post
so hard. that is all.
LMFAO! Agreed! One of the hardest courses I've taken in university, thus far. Even harder than a lot of courses involving essays!

_Mike likes this.
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:27 AM   #52
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Just to clarify, Friday morning labs are really not that bad. I mean, any 8:30 lab sucks to some extent, but it finishes by 11:30 so you'll have plenty of time to study. First semester all I had on Fridays was this lab (EOW) and I loved it.

Although the Friday afternoon slot is definitely not that great, I would avoid that one. :p
Old 06-12-2010 at 04:09 PM   #53
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times
haha i had the friday afternoon labs, the pro to it is that you can get all the answers from friends, and get a very good idea of what the lab is like. cons: 7pm midterms following a 3 hr lab is not fun. :S
Old 06-12-2010 at 11:19 PM   #54
sdhami

midterms were alright.. EXAMMM on the other hand was prob the hardest one i wrote first year.
Old 06-13-2010
sana1504
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:50 PM   #55
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times
this course was moderately interesting(some parts i found very interesting, some parts very dry). the tests and exam were quite challenging, but it is very possible to do well if you do a lot of practice questions. i had berti for a prof and found him to be an excellent prof, good at explaining and receptive to questions.
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:24 PM   #56
ragedevil67

are the midterms for all courses (including chem 1AA3) the same regardless of which professor you get?
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:34 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedevil67 View Post
are the midterms for all courses (including chem 1AA3) the same regardless of which professor you get?
That is correct. General first year science courses with multiple cores such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Math all have the same midterm and exam for all the sections. Most of the time the midterm and exams are written as a collaboration between the professors but if Math is still the same then it's Haskell that writes the midterms and exam.
Old 06-25-2010 at 04:54 PM   #58
ragedevil67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That is correct. General first year science courses with multiple cores such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Math all have the same midterm and exam for all the sections. Most of the time the midterm and exams are written as a collaboration between the professors but if Math is still the same then it's Haskell that writes the midterms and exam.
I see....thanks
but if thats the case would you say there is really any advantage in choosing one professor over another?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search