MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03

Econ 1B03
Introductory Microeconomics
Published by samantha__
06-16-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 68%
Econ 1B03

Econ 1B03 is all about Microeconomics, unlike Econ 1BB3 which is about the opposite, Macroeconomics. Check out my review for that here.

In essence, you'll be learning about how the economy affects individual businesses and industries instead of the whole economy like in Macro (1BB3). The format is similiar, if not identical to the format of Econ 1BB3. This includes Aplia, two tests and your final exam.

I personally had Holmes as my prof for this class. Her notes are... beyond amazing. However, I found going to class pointless because all she would do was read off the powerpoint. She posts all her lecture slides up so you can just print them out and bring them to class, which is nice. She doesn't do that annoying fill-in-the-blanks nonesense like some teachers as well. However, I personally found Holmes' tests to be pretty hard and her exam was pretty bad too, but then again I didn't study very hard, so tough luck for me.

Once again, this Econ was another one of my favourite classes. Some find it boring, some find it easy. This econ was more mathy then Econ 1BB3, though it's not like calculus or anything like that. However, if you're planning to persue upper year Econ courses, a calculus credit will be needed.

Course Breakdown
  • Test With Higher Score: 25%
  • Test With Lower Score: 15%
  • APLIA Graded Assignments (Best 6): 15%
  • Final Exam: 40%

David.dman, Jazza, jj_24, jon.john23, LooKiss, Maudjee22, Niro, xxsumz all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

chrihong, jj_24, Tanya, ThagsanaR like this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Econ 1B03!

Old 06-16-2008 at 09:29 PM   #2
FlyWithMac
Program: ssdasfdasd
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
I noticed Econ 1B03 doesn't have any tutorials.. just lectures.. thats interesting.. lol
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-16-2008 at 09:31 PM   #3
samantha__
Elite Member
Program: Economics & Business
Year: Fourth

Liked: 9 Times
Yep, it's the same with Econ 1BB3. Most people went to the Econ Clinic as far as I know, if they needed help though.
Old 06-29-2008 at 09:37 PM   #4
Quester
Faculty: None
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 6 Times
were the tests done during lecture times?

Old 06-29-2008 at 09:38 PM   #5
samantha__
Elite Member

Oh I forgot to mention this.. Econ tests are notorious for being on Saturday mornings!
Old 06-29-2008 at 09:41 PM   #6
Quester

oh darn....i'm more like an owl than a bird. =(

in general, are all the tests from different courses not done during lecture times?
Old 06-29-2008 at 09:44 PM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

I found my larger classes (the ones that had multiple sections) had tests outside of lecture time (at night like Calc, or in econs case, on a Saturday) but I found my smaller classes usually had the tests during lecture (Geo for example).
Old 06-29-2008 at 10:14 PM   #8
Quester

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008 at 01:01 PM   #9
Ruggedman
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
When say this Economics course is more mathy than the other one, what exactly do you mean.

The only math i took in grade 12 was Data Management. What kind of math is required in this course? Will I be screwed if i didnt have functions or calc?

Im not pursuing Econ to be a major so is this math going to be easy, simple multiplication, division and whatnot?
Old 07-02-2008 at 03:45 PM   #10
samantha__
Elite Member

I just found there were more harder formulas to memorize in this one.
The math is easy.. multiplicaiton, addition, etc. It's just a pain to memorize sometimes cause there's quite a few to know.
Old 07-07-2008 at 06:20 PM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
Engineers have to take this course to be eligible for management in 2nd year.

(easy peasy if you ask me, we learned how to take the area of a triangle, and some profs are convinced that a horizontal line has a slope of infinity and a vertical line has a slope of 0. srsly, wtf?!)
Old 07-22-2008 at 03:41 PM   #12
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10
Program: Political Science & Labour Studies
Residence: Wallingford (07-08, 08-09) Hedden (09-10) now SOCS

Liked: 24 Times
I took ECON 1B03 with Holmes first term last year. What was said before is all true. Her notes are fantastic and she does just read off of them during lecture so going to class is pretty pointless. Her tests were haaaard though and always on Saturday mornings which was pretty rough.

DON'T take both Micro and Macro in the same term! You'll have a test for each on the same day, one at 9:30am and one at 2:30pm usually. That's really hard to study for, especially since these econ courses are mostly memorization.

Being a humanities/social science student I was really worried about the math aspect. I didn't even take a grade 12 math but I fared alright. I didn't study anywhere near as much as I should have but the math was still easy enough. Those of you who have Data Management under your belt will do fine.

Aplia was great! It was so handy to have practice tests and Holmes ended up basing a lot of questions off the Aplia quizzes. It was good that Aplia was there to force me to do a bit of econ every week or else I would have gotten killed on the tests!

Holmes is a great prof too. She really cares about students and is really into the material. The WebCT website is always decked out with football stuff (she LOVES football) and she puts bonus questions on all the tests that have to do with football or some random thing she mentioned in class one day (how her friend named a cow after her... etc lol)

Overall, pretty decent class!
Old 11-21-2008 at 03:11 PM   #13
Joey
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 17 Times
Ok so i really did not enjoy this course. it was alot of graphs and visual representation which being me i did not enjoy. The classes are not easy to pay attention to and it is easy to get distracted. The fact that nothing on the test was not covered in lecture was refreshing and different from all my other classes. the lecture notes were clear concise and easy to follow. The tests were not that brutal but do put some quaility time into studying. aplia is very helpful when it comes to learnign course material but do not buy the text book. i have not opened it once. oh this course is also nice becuse there are no writing assignments.
Old 11-23-2008 at 04:03 AM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Engineers have to take this course to be eligible for management in 2nd year.

(easy peasy if you ask me, we learned how to take the area of a triangle, and some profs are convinced that a horizontal line has a slope of infinity and a vertical line has a slope of 0. srsly, wtf?!)
heyo that "slope" they call zero/infinite isn't the gradient of line they are talking about. Instead its the elasticity of Price/quantity or income/subsitutes they are reffering to.
A vertical line means perfectly inelastic and horizontal means perfectly elastic
You can even prove it through the formula eg: If the price changes and yet the quantity people buy doesnt change it means ppl are willing to buy at no matter what price it is being offered: so hence for example if price changes by 100: q won't change hence 100/0= infinite (or something like that)
On a side note though even though I haven't taken first year Micro/macro(Have been sent directly to second year econ courses due to transfer credit), from the micro and macro I've done at high school I would 100% recommend it to any student Irregardless of faculty. It really will open your eyes as to how the world's/countries economy works; especially with the current crisis, you'll be surprised as to how large a percentage have no idea as to the mechanisms behind the credit crunch and what exactly is the 700bil bailout for etc!
Old 11-29-2008 at 02:00 AM   #15
sycoman
Year: Third

could some one please comment on how the final exam for this course is? is the class average usually higher on the exam then the midterm...or is it pretty much the same?

Thanks

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search