MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 05:25 PM   #46
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Econ 1B03
Econ 1B03 is all about Microeconomics, unlike Econ 1BB3 which is about the opposite, Macroeconomics. Check out my review for that here.

In essence, you'll be learning about how the economy affects individual businesses...

Last edited by samantha__ : 06-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

like this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:04 PM   #45
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times
So when you buy the textbook from Titles, it comes with the Aplia?
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:09 PM   #46
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibzy View Post
So when you buy the textbook from Titles, it comes with the Aplia?
It does, but i recommend that you only buy the aplia online since the Prof. Holmes gave very detailed notes. I never went to the lectures of this course and purely read the notes on webct and got a 10 (never even needed the textbook).
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:10 PM   #47
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
It does, but i recommend that you only buy the aplia online since the Prof. Holmes gave very detailed notes. I never went to the lectures of this course and purely read the notes on webct and got a 10 (never even needed the textbook).
Just a note that the courses will be on ELM instead of WebCT this year.
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:13 PM   #48
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times
So, if i do decide to buy the book, it makes no sense to buy it from upper years becasue it doesnt come with aplia?
Old 08-27-2009 at 05:18 PM   #49
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibzy View Post
So, if i do decide to buy the book, it makes no sense to buy it from upper years becasue it doesnt come with aplia?
It depends on the price of the old book. You'll still need to get APLIA in order to do the quizzes and assignments.

So, if buying it new costs less than buying it old + buying APLIA, then it's worth it (assuming you want/are going to use the real copy of the book).
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:07 PM   #50
aqsac

Liked: 0 Times
Hey, just wanted to know what chapter the first quiz is on? I think its only the first chapter, am i right?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:33 PM   #51
Equinox

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsac View Post
Hey, just wanted to know what chapter the first quiz is on? I think its only the first chapter, am i right?

Thanks!
yes, look at the course outline for detail about other quizzes (there is a table on the 3rd? page)
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:44 PM   #52
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

It's just on the first set of slides.
Old 09-17-2009 at 12:52 PM   #53
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times
Where have the notes been posted? She put up a link during yesterday's lecture (since ELM is down) but I couldn't find a pen to write it down in time.
Old 09-17-2009 at 01:37 PM   #54
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
Where have the notes been posted? She put up a link during yesterday's lecture (since ELM is down) but I couldn't find a pen to write it down in time.
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/hholmes/1B03_Class/

sana1504 likes this.
Old 12-15-2009 at 02:55 PM   #55
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Econ 1B03 is an introductory course in microeconomics, covering concepts like supply and demand, the different types of markets, international trade, consumer theory and all of that fun stuff. It's taught by Professor Holmes, who knows her stuff inside out. Not the most exciting lecturer and I found myself not attending class after the 1st month, since the lectures were found online in podcast form. All of her Powerpoints are also online. I usually spent 1 hour making notes / week, so it doesn't require much effort on your end to do well.

The textbook is not needed for this course - your best friend is the Powerpoint slides. Holmes has a saying that if it's not in the notes, it's not going to be on the midterm/exam!

Course breakdown included 2 midterms, a plethora of online assignments, as well as in-class quizzes, which are held weekly on the last day of lecture. Both midterms consisted of 45 multiple-choice questions, 90 minutes, and are non-cumulative in nature. Class average was around low 80s, which is phenomenal for a first-year class. The higher of the two midterm was worth 30%, and the lower one was worth 5%. Amazing.

As well, there were 11 weekly online assignments, and only the top 5 counted. The assignments were worth 10%, or 2% each. The assignments reinforced last week's material and were easy marks. As well, the answers for the assignments can be found ONLINE, using your best friend, Google. The in-class quizzes were a pain, since for me, they were held on a Friday afternoon, and I had to hike all the way to MDCL to write a 20 minute quiz. I actually found the quizzes to be harder than the midterms (probably because I was usually underprepared); as a side note, these quizzes are not written by Holmes, but by the Econ TAs (or so I've heard). I believe there were 9 quizzes in total, but again, the top 5 were counted. Quizzes were worth 5%, or 1% each.

Exam was worth 50%. But, like the midterms, they were easy to complete. Composed of 90 multiple-choice, and 3 hours to complete it. This year, she included 3 bonus marks - 1 for completing a survey, 1 for filling in a student number + version number correctly, and 1 for a random question about the name of her cats. All you need to do for this class is to study Holmes' powerpoints, make your own notes, and you're on your way to a lovely 12. This course is truly a bird course.

Last edited by Inferno : 12-15-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Fa11enAnge1, Sandra Shan all say thanks to Inferno for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 05:31 PM   #56
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times
Can I still do well without the textbook or the APLIA?
Old 01-05-2010 at 06:33 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
Can I still do well without the textbook or the APLIA?
Last term there was no APLIA. If you went to class today and they said you need APLIA then you will most likely need it because it would be used for assignments. You can do well without the textbook if you don't need extreme detail to learn the material.
Old 01-05-2010
Fa11enAnge1
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-07-2010 at 08:26 PM   #58
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
This year, there's no APLIA. All of the assignments are strictly on ELM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search