MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 05:25 PM   #16
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Econ 1B03
Econ 1B03 is all about Microeconomics, unlike Econ 1BB3 which is about the opposite, Macroeconomics. Check out my review for that here.

In essence, you'll be learning about how the economy affects individual businesses...

Last edited by samantha__ : 06-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

like this.
Old 11-29-2008 at 10:27 AM   #15
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
As far as I remember, the final exam average was the same, though alot of people find it hard that it's everything you've learned, compressed into like.. 3 hours? or 2? I forget. It gets to the point where the questions become so redundent that you don't wanna answer them anymore lol.

sycoman says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 12-19-2008 at 06:16 PM   #16
phana2

Liked: Liked 4 Times
I just took this course and the marks breakdown was a little different than what was stated above.

Higher test - 25%
Lower test - 15%
10 Aplia assignments - 12% (6 best count for 2% each)
Final exam - 48%

Most people would probably find that the workload in this course is lighter than that of other courses. Personally, I never went to class and just studied off the notes and podcasts. I found the podcasts better than lectures because she would condense the material from a 50 minute lecture into a 10 minute video. For those who want to take this course in the future, I recommend not buying the textbook and just buying Aplia online to save yourself some money, since Hannah Holmes has a strict policy of "if it's not in the notes, it's not on the test".

Andrew Phan
BSc II
Old 05-20-2009 at 10:56 AM   #17
ericvan1

Liked: 1 Time
For 1st year Engineers this is an easy elective. Simple math and concepts, tests are easy.

Aurenn likes this.
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:00 PM   #18
hamilton1555

Liked: 0 Times
actually this course wasn't too bad. it was 2 midterms, a final and a few assignments as well as a weekly quiz although the previous term, i think it had a weekly assignment rather than quizzes. but quizzes weren't horrible.

anyways as long as you attend class, memorize FORMULAS and VALUES and most importantly **GRAPHS**, you would be okay. On the final exam, the prof changed the axises/equations of the graphs so it would look different, but if you understand the original graphs, then you will be able to figure the new one out and do the application questions.

The graphs of the course can look overwhelming but seriously once you look it over and understand it, it's easy and it helps you solve questions.

I would probably recommend taking the class with a few ppl u know so u can work on the assignments together and get 90s.

The prof also posts up practice exams, practice questions, practice tests etc. and I belive one of the midterms actually had a LOT of questions from those!!!

My friends and I ended with marks from 9 to 12 with the course being an elective for us.
Old 07-19-2009 at 09:14 PM   #19
Fa11enAnge1

Liked: 3 Times
I am a science student, however, I am interested in doing a minor in Economics. And yes, like most people in science, I am gunning for med school too =P

What you do guys suggest: is it a good idea (considering GPA) or should I do something else?
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:05 PM   #20
Meejo

Easy pwn!
I took Micro last year when Holmes decided to change things up a little: instead of weekly Aplia assignments, there'd be weekly quizzes, and only 3 Aplia assignments (worth about 9%, as I recall).

I personally found that the tests and final exam were quite easy, and the average was in the low 70s (Holmes attributed that to the weekly quizzes). It is essential, however, that you familiarize yourself with the different economic models and know how to convert word problems to workable graphs and what-not.

As mentioned by others, it really isn't necessary to go to class as she more or less just reads the slides anyway. For answers to bonus questions, you can ask people from upper years or friends who took it previously.

Overall, this class was the easiest I took in 1st year and should definitely be taken as a GPA-booster.

Fa11enAnge1, LBJ.MVP all say thanks to Meejo for this post.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:10 PM   #21
Fa11enAnge1

LOL...so I can bug you for the answers to the bonus question =P
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:50 AM   #22
chutneyP

Liked: 5 Times
Simply put there is not an easier course in this university besides this one.
you don't really need to go to class either...simply read the amazing lecture notes and do the practice test.

Don't think about whether you wish to take this course or not...just take it. Don't think. just do it. Are you thinking? I hope not...

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:21 AM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
What is APLIA??

Also, im taking the ECON course at night? Is there anything different about having 1 session a week instead of 3?
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:31 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
What is APLIA??

Also, im taking the ECON course at night? Is there anything different about having 1 session a week instead of 3?
APLIA is like the iClicker, It's used for in-class questions.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:02 PM   #25
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
APLIA is like the iClicker, It's used for in-class questions.
Aplia isnt like the iclicker. Its used for online assignments and it also has an online copy of the course textbook.
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:40 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
Aplia isnt like the iclicker. Its used for online assignments and it also has an online copy of the course textbook.
I thought the APLIA was that squarish remote thing... Lol, complete fail on my part. What's the squarish remote thing then?
Old 08-17-2009 at 02:02 PM   #27
blairwoods

are there any presentations in this course?
Old 08-17-2009 at 03:22 PM   #28
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairwoods View Post
are there any presentations in this course?
No there aren't.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:29 PM   #29
Fa11enAnge1

My schedule works out so that I have to take Micro and Macro in the same semester.

I could Math 1AA3 instead of Macro, but I am scared that its going to be really hard.

What do you suggest? Should I just take 2 econs or take the harder math?

Thanks

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search