Grades Help Mac12 Academics 32 06-29-2009 02:31 PM
Grades? aa84 Academics 2 01-13-2009 03:54 PM
Grades Laura03 Academics 8 12-20-2008 10:26 PM

About grades

Old 01-21-2012 at 03:00 PM   #1
EngineBoy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

About grades
So i have been thinking about this for awhile, are grades as important in university compared to high school? I know that your grades determine whether you will be accepted into the program of your choice in 2nd year but other than that what are the benefits of having a high average.
Old 01-21-2012 at 03:08 PM   #2
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

grades are important for grad school and your very first job outside of school.

other then that, do you think anyone would care that you got 51% in woman's studies when you're a mid-thirties engineer?
Old 01-21-2012 at 03:11 PM   #3
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

It all depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you are thinking of pursuing Professional School (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy etc.) grades are very important, and will often dictate which schools you can apply to/or have a chance of getting into. If you are leaning more towards finding a job immediately after graduation, I would say experience and networking is probably more important than achieving high grades (although you want to at least pass your courses). Certain graduate programs also have cutoffs and are quite competitive, so it is important to keep your grades up. All in all, having good grades will never hurt you, but will instead open up doors for you in the future.

muons likes this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 03:14 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Scholarships, motivation, and personal satisfaction (grades are a rough indicator of determination and success, but its not the be-all-and-end-all)

Marooner likes this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 04:04 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberant888 View Post
It all depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you are thinking of pursuing Professional School (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy etc.) grades are very important, and will often dictate which schools you can apply to/or have a chance of getting into. If you are leaning more towards finding a job immediately after graduation, I would say experience and networking is probably more important than achieving high grades (although you want to at least pass your courses). Certain graduate programs also have cutoffs and are quite competitive, so it is important to keep your grades up. All in all, having good grades will never hurt you, but will instead open up doors for you in the future.
This is what I was going to say.
Grades are important for grad schools (Masters, PhD), professional schools (medical school, law school) and internships.
But if you just plan on completing your 3 or 4 year degree and getting a job, it probably only matters that you have the degree.

It all depends on what you want to do when you graduate. BUT you usually don't know for sure what you want your career to be when you're only in first year, so it doesn't hurt to try your best.

In first and second year, I just wanted to graduate and get a job. In third and fourth year, I wanted to go to grad school. Unfortunately, I didn't have the marks. So I ended up going to college instead (and I wish I did this in the first place!) You never know what path you're going to be on in 3-4 years, so try your best for good grades but don't freak out about it.
Old 01-21-2012 at 04:22 PM   #6
wongcc2

Liked: 2 Times

Scholarships. They can do wonders for your bank account.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 07:13 PM   #7
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Graduate school is helpful, especially for certian programs (ie. Economics) where applying what you've learned at the undergraduate level is impossible without additional schooling.

This isn't the case in every program.

In other programs, grades are useful for internships and placements.
Old 01-25-2012 at 01:06 PM   #8
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

As for jobs, before companies just wanted to see your degree and they were cool. But now, more and more often, companies are asking for actually transcripts to see if you actually did well or just "passed by" and actually have no idea what you're doing.
Old 01-26-2012 at 05:32 PM   #9
kruizej

Liked: 0 Times

Grades are important... but not as important as highschool i don't think. High school I kept my grades high to get into university, but once I got to university I realized that as long as a I get a 60 i'm good... not much motivation there.
Old 01-26-2012 at 06:37 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

grades are important to find/land u that job (better ones). most of the stuff u learn in uni is "useless" since it is only designed to train ur mind to think in a certain mindset. the company will usually train you how to do ur job unless they are skills that are prereq (example, being pro at excel)
Old 01-26-2012 at 09:06 PM   #11
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
grades are important for grad school and your very first job outside of school.

other then that, do you think anyone would care that you got 51% in woman's studies when you're a mid-thirties engineer?
Maybe not, but it's something noteworthy for, say...a wedding toast.