MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1AA3 or Math 1BO3 (or both, and no inquiry) macsci Academics 2 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

Math 1AA3

Old 04-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #16
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1AA3
So Math 1AA3 is the continuation of Math 1A03 and it's the second calculus course mainly designed for science students. Compared to Math 1A03, which is mostly review from highschool (except integrals), Math 1AA3 definitely need more time to understand and get a good grasp of the materials...

Last edited by raine : 04-21-2009 at 06:22 AM.

says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 08-12-2009 at 02:30 AM   #15
_N/A_

Liked: 11 Times
The profs this year are Lozinski, Marikova and Cuadros Valle. Any recommendations on which would be best?
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:31 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _N/A_ View Post
The profs this year are Lozinski, Marikova and Cuadros Valle. Any recommendations on which would be best?
People suggested Lozinski and did not recommend Cuadros.
Old 01-06-2010 at 03:03 PM   #17
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times
so i need math 1AA3 for pharmacy school but i didnt do so well in the first math however, this math is a prerequisite for pharmacy so i have to do it sometime. \im super scared though. should i take it this term or take it next year? i feel like im not mentally prepared for it after getting owned in the first one.
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:33 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesci09 View Post
so i need math 1AA3 for pharmacy school but i didnt do so well in the first math however, this math is a prerequisite for pharmacy so i have to do it sometime. \im super scared though. should i take it this term or take it next year? i feel like im not mentally prepared for it after getting owned in the first one.
Well, you should make a list of pros and cons and decide that way. Here are a couple examples to get you started, but you may have personal pros and cons as well:

Pros: You have the summer to go over your notes and build a good base for Math 1AA3.

Cons: It's different for everyone because of the different combinations of courses one can take, but I find second year to be a lot more heavier in terms of workload and material (I do probably have a heavier course load than the average person though). So you may not have enough time to dedicate to all your subjects.
Old 01-07-2010 at 10:31 AM   #19
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Math 1A03 and 1X03 were particularly killer this year...namely the finals were too long, and had difficult questions.

What happens is, when making an exam profs select a number of easy questions, then stick on a few choice difficult problems to let students demonstrate their expertise. However this year, the 'easy' problems were all chosen from the later material, and students found them really difficult.

This is a mistake that hopefully will not be repeated, at least not this following semester. I do think they'll be a bit kinder as a result.

Also, I'm TAing the course this term along with one other person...so I can 'give you permission' to come hound me with questions if that's what it takes to get you through the course.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:13 AM   #20
lifesci09

so will lozinksi be the course coordinator for this course next year as well? casue i was googling the syllabus and i read somewhere taht last year the course coordinator made the midterms multiple choice? i found lozinksi's midterms and exam to be prettty fair so thats one thing i wanted to take advantage of this year. and what chapters or sections in the textbook will this course cover?
also does anyone know how this course is during the summer?

Last edited by lifesci09 : 01-07-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:42 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

If Lozinski coordinated 1A03 last term, and 1AA3 this term there's a good chance he won't coordinate it next year.

I'm not sure how it is during the summer, I'd imagine it proceeds a bit swiftly though.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:44 AM   #22
lifesci09

how is krepski as a prof? i had losinkzi last term but i cant get into his lectures this term due to conflict
Old 01-07-2010 at 08:24 PM   #23
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Math 1A03 and 1X03 were particularly killer this year...namely the finals were too long, and had difficult questions.

What happens is, when making an exam profs select a number of easy questions, then stick on a few choice difficult problems to let students demonstrate their expertise. However this year, the 'easy' problems were all chosen from the later material, and students found them really difficult.

This is a mistake that hopefully will not be repeated, at least not this following semester. I do think they'll be a bit kinder as a result.

Also, I'm TAing the course this term along with one other person...so I can 'give you permission' to come hound me with questions if that's what it takes to get you through the course.
If you don't mind me asking, do you happen to know the average for the final? And are you TAing the tutorial tomorrow? If so, see you there ;D
Old 01-08-2010 at 01:49 AM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Unfortunately I don't know the average, I was simply told "It was bad" by a few of the profs...I'd imagine I don't really have access to that information unless I was grading it (and I wasn't selected to since most of my TA hours went to TAing another course last term).

As for tomorrow's tutorial, there are actually two! One is at 10:30 and the other, 2:30. I will normally be running those at 2:30 (as well as those on Tuesday) but not those at 10:30. This one week is an exception, Dr. Lozinski, Krepski and Cuadros will be running tutorials to help the 1LS3 students by showing them a few techniques of integration they hadn't seen yet such as trigonometric integration.

I'll begin next week...I've been asked to present a highly condensed treatment of integration by partial fractions (again primarily for students who haven't seen it at all yet)...I'm finding it quite a challenge to prepare, since it's normally covered in about a week or even two of lectures!
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:43 AM   #25
Mowicz
Elite Member

I'd like to apologize to anyone in yesterday's tutorial...I don't know why but I was just overwhelmed by stress (possibly being forced to use the apparatus for the first time) and was far more nervous than I'd expected. A lot of the 'no-brainer' things about being a TA went right out the window! Like making sure to look at the students' faces for feedback.

Next week (and Friday, for those in T-03) I plan to:

Write bigger. It didn't occur to me at the time that the camera would be tough to read, since I had my back turned to it. I'll write twice as big next time (ie. pretend 2 lines are 1).

I'll work out the acoustics. I didn't realize it but I apparently kept talking into the apparatus and was difficult to hear. I can usually project really well so I thought it would be ok. I'll either plug in a mic, or make an effort to step away from the apparatus.

And hopefully after reflecting on the tutorial I'll feel more comfortable. The first tutorial's always the most nerve-wracking...so hopefully you guys could give me another crack at the whole TA thing next week. (:
Old 01-14-2010 at 06:35 PM   #26
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'd like to apologize to anyone in yesterday's tutorial...I don't know why but I was just overwhelmed by stress (possibly being forced to use the apparatus for the first time) and was far more nervous than I'd expected. A lot of the 'no-brainer' things about being a TA went right out the window! Like making sure to look at the students' faces for feedback.

Next week (and Friday, for those in T-03) I plan to:

Write bigger. It didn't occur to me at the time that the camera would be tough to read, since I had my back turned to it. I'll write twice as big next time (ie. pretend 2 lines are 1).

I'll work out the acoustics. I didn't realize it but I apparently kept talking into the apparatus and was difficult to hear. I can usually project really well so I thought it would be ok. I'll either plug in a mic, or make an effort to step away from the apparatus.

And hopefully after reflecting on the tutorial I'll feel more comfortable. The first tutorial's always the most nerve-wracking...so hopefully you guys could give me another crack at the whole TA thing next week. (:
Hi Mike! I am in your Tuesday tutorial

I thought you did an awesome job this week! It was a bit hard to read what you were writing since the lighting on the camera kept changing, but other than that, I had no problem. I liked the flow of the tutorial, and I really appreciate the fact that you posted a more comprehensive set of notes on your webpage (although I can’t seem to find the notes (or your webpage for that matter lol)). To be honest, you didn’t seem all that nervous . Anyways, I look forward to a great semester!
Old 01-14-2010 at 11:37 PM   #27
Mowicz
Elite Member

Thanks. (: Hopefully people don't stop coming or anything like that, I don't think that'd be very fair to the students.

As for my notes, I was going to post them on ELM tomorrow, after the tutorials for this week wrap up. (The reason being, there's another TA doing the morning tutorial, and I don't want to step on her toes, and force her to cover anything she wouldn't normally or anything like that)

But since I doubt anyone in her tutorial will see this, I don't mind posting the links here now:

My webpage is: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/

And the document can be found here: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchim...tutorial_1.pdf

The mistakes I discovered during the tutorial are all fixed as well.

rrtt says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 03:37 PM   #28
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times
i was wondering if any1 could help me answer a question. I've tried doing this 10 times and i have no ides what i m doing wrong:

Solve the differential equation: y' + 3y = sin (e^3x)

i get the integratinf factor e^3x and it all goes downhill from there. anyone able to give me some insight?
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:33 PM   #29
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Multiply the integrating factor on both sides.
y'(e^3x) + 3y(e^3x) = sin(e^3x)(e^3x)
Simplify the left side into one blob, and integrate both sides.
S d/dx (y)(e^3x) = S sin(e^3x)(e^3x)
Use substitution to integrate the right side and use the FTC for the left.
Then solve for y. Good luck!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search