MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1AA3 or Math 1BO3 (or both, and no inquiry) macsci Academics 2 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

Math 1AA3

Old 04-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #31
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1AA3
So Math 1AA3 is the continuation of Math 1A03 and it's the second calculus course mainly designed for science students. Compared to Math 1A03, which is mostly review from highschool (except integrals), Math 1AA3 definitely need more time to understand and get a good grasp of the materials...

Last edited by raine : 04-21-2009 at 06:22 AM.

says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 03-28-2010 at 07:56 PM   #30
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times
I love doing math. I want to take this course. I am thinking of taking it, but I am scared lol b/c Math 1A03 raped me. Can you guys tell me any specific methods you use to do good on math.
Old 05-02-2010
Inferno
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-02-2010 at 08:41 PM   #31
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Math 1AA3 is an introductory first-year calculus course that covers a plethora of topics - improper integrals, first-order differential equations, infinite series, and partial derivatives.

Do keep in mind that as of the 2010/2011 session, a new course (Math 1LT3) will be offered. It's basically a 2nd calculus course geared for the Life Sciences, and it should be 'easier' than Math 1AA3 (more application-based, and probably won't be as in-depth as Math 1AA3). So, for people that wish to take a 2nd calc. course with 1LS3 background, there's your solution.

As I stated before in my 1A03 review, it is IMPERATIVE to keep up with the material, and to do the supporting problems. This course moves relatively quickly, and you need to have a firm grasp on the material (especially when you hit infinite series) in order to do well.

Course breakdown includes 2 tests, worth 20% each, online assignments worth 10%, and a final exam worth 50%.

Online assignments are akin to the ones found in 1A03. They're released weekly, and they're essentially mark boosters, while still reinforcing the material. The midterms were 90 minutes in length, and they're very fair. Very straight-forward, with a few challenging problems to really test one's knowledge. Unlike the 1A03 exam, the exam for 1AA3 was reasonable; it included some multiple-choice questions, and it did a good job of gauging students' knowledge, in my opinion.

Lozinski is an outstanding prof. Good explanations, great pacing, and I did enjoy some of his dry humour (Lol @ his Master Chief reference). Overall, a great course! If you're strong at math, you should find this course to be very manageable, and dare I say it, even 'easy'.
Old 06-02-2010 at 03:32 PM   #32
erinterpol

Liked: 0 Times
i found this course to be easier than 1a03. i had lozinski. just make sure you go to tutorials and the review sessions, they're amazing.
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:49 PM   #33
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Hey y'all.
I have decided to upload notes/tests/etc to Megaupload, pertaining to the Winter 2010 session (Lozinski). If the link becomes dead, PM me and I shall re-upload them.

LINK: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DRCMORDB

fall3n, justinsftw, ruby101 all say thanks to Inferno for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:13 PM   #34
bree0830

If I am not going into a math program, is it still necessary to take this course? I have heard that you need a full year of calculus to get into many professional schools :S
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:25 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree0830 View Post
If I am not going into a math program, is it still necessary to take this course? I have heard that you need a full year of calculus to get into many professional schools :S
If you need it for professional school, then you have to take it. If you don't need it for professional school then you don't.
Old 06-30-2010 at 03:13 PM   #36
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Many professional schools do, but not all. It depends which schools you're interested in. Pharmacy (pretty much anywhere), you definitely need a full year of calc. For optometry, I assume you do, but I haven't actually looked into it myself. Med schools vary a LOT with requirements...I don't think 1AA3 would be necessary, but it's best to check with the schools you're interested in.
Old 07-22-2010 at 12:51 AM   #37
strawbrryjam

is it better to leave math 1aa3 for the 2nd year or get it over w/ in the first year? O__O
i currently have math 1a03 and math 1b03...
Old 07-22-2010
strawbrryjam
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-22-2010 at 10:19 AM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
is it better to leave math 1aa3 for the 2nd year or get it over w/ in the first year? O__O
i currently have math 1a03 and math 1b03...
When are you taking math 1b03? Math 1AA3 isn't hard to get a good mark in, but it does take some thinking. Be sure to do lots of practice problems throughout the year.
Old 07-22-2010 at 10:53 AM   #39
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Since 1AA3 is a direct continuation of the material in 1A03, it's recommended you take them in consecutive semesters if possible.
Old 07-26-2010 at 01:51 AM   #40
strawbrryjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When are you taking math 1b03? Math 1AA3 isn't hard to get a good mark in, but it does take some thinking. Be sure to do lots of practice problems throughout the year.
i'm taking math 1b03 in semester 2, is it better to take math 1b03? or math 1aa3?
my time table:
semeter 1:
bio 1a03
chem 1a03
econ 1b03
psych 1x03
math 1a03

semester 2:
bio 1m03
chem 1aa3
physics 1b03
psych 1xx3
math 1b03 <--- is it better to take math 1aa3 instead? :O~

Old 07-26-2010 at 10:01 AM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
i'm taking math 1b03 in semester 2, is it better to take math 1b03? or math 1aa3?
my time table:
semeter 1:
bio 1a03
chem 1a03
econ 1b03
psych 1x03
math 1a03

semester 2:
bio 1m03
chem 1aa3
physics 1b03
psych 1xx3
math 1b03 <--- is it better to take math 1aa3 instead? :O~

Well, if you want to further learn math then you would have to take both courses. If you are looking into professional or graduate school you will have to find out what you need to get into them. I usually see calculus and rarely algebra as a prerequisite.
Old 07-27-2010 at 10:54 PM   #42
strawbrryjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Well, if you want to further learn math then you would have to take both courses. If you are looking into professional or graduate school you will have to find out what you need to get into them. I usually see calculus and rarely algebra as a prerequisite.
yea idk which major i want in 2nd year, but i'm looking into the biochem one, it says math 1b03 is strongly recommanded :O~ so.. should i take math 1aa3 for continuation for grad school school requirements or math1b03 for biochem requirements :O~

btw should i leave out psych1xx3 because i might not need it? D: idk i'm sooo confused D:

here are some possible changes that i might wanna do:
change pysch1xx3 to math1aa3
or
change math 1b03 to math 1aa3

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search