MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1AA3 or Math 1BO3 (or both, and no inquiry) macsci Academics 2 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

Math 1AA3

Old 04-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #61
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1AA3
So Math 1AA3 is the continuation of Math 1A03 and it's the second calculus course mainly designed for science students. Compared to Math 1A03, which is mostly review from highschool (except integrals), Math 1AA3 definitely need more time to understand and get a good grasp of the materials...

Last edited by raine : 04-21-2009 at 06:22 AM.

says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:20 AM   #60
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times
For the Winter 2012 session, the course was taught by Dr. Hurd, Dr. R. Conlon, and Dr. Baker.

The midterms that were out of 40 had to be made out of 30, to accomodate for the 49% class average. I thought both midterms were very hard for a person who has just finished MATH 1A03, but the mark increase made up for the difficulty.

In addition to the marking scheme 5% was used for assignments, which were basically questions taken out of the textbook or made up by one of the professors. These took a strenuously long time to do, but these were only worth ~1.7% each so it wasn't that bad. The only difference between the past marking scheme and this marking scheme was the Assignments section and the value of the exam, now worth 45%.

I never had Dr. Baker or Dr. Hurd teach me, but based off the review session at the end of the year, Dr. Baker was my favourite, since he was clear on what he was teaching, whereas the other two professors weren't as clear when they were explaining. They also didn't pace themselves as much as Dr. Baker and Dr. Conlon (of whom I had lectures with) sounded as if he was yelling at someone during his classes. Nevertheless, they did their job well.

It was hard finding help from the Math Help Centre, since there was only one MATH 1AA3 TA (Alex Terrania). The other TAs weren't too sure on how to do some of the questions. If you need help, I suggest going to tutorials, keeping up with readings and coming to the professor's office hours if you are ever stuck anywhere. If I didn't get external help on the course before exams, I think I would have done really poorly in the course.

MATH 1AA3 was a huge transition from MATH 1A03. Make sure you keep up with your work and you'll be fine!

Old 04-28-2012 at 07:27 AM   #61
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times
Oh yeah, in terms of exam difficulty, the exam was way more manageable than the midterms. It was straight forward, to the point and had no hard application questions. Just make sure you go over everything thoroughly.

Old 06-11-2012 at 10:49 AM   #62
sejd

Liked: 0 Times
Overall, how difficult is this course compared to Math 1A03?
Old 06-11-2012 at 06:07 PM   #63
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
^This year, due to the new profs, Math 1AA3 was much harder than 1A03. As said above, the midterms were out of 40, but had to be marked out of 30.
Old 12-31-2012 at 09:40 AM   #64
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times
Does anyone know how much of MATH 1A03 I need for this course? I took it last year but I don't remember much of it. I found the course outline for the course but I wanted to know what people thought about what was important to know from math 1a03.

Please and thanks!
Old 05-08-2013 at 01:10 PM   #65
AnimeGamer31

Took this in 2013 winter with Dr. Childs,

2 MC tests, webassign due every, other week, maple labs, and 1 exam. Maple labs was just you going to the computer lab with the TA there telling you what to type in to get the answers. Very ridiculous but free marks.

Dr. Childs was an excellent professor. He can teach, encourages you to ask questions, and even has a page on his site which has tips on how to study for his tests. Read those tips because I did very well due to his tips. If you do have questions, write them down and ask. Ask Dr. Childs because he explains REALLY well. Ask TAs from the math help centre because the centre is open from 2:30 - 8:30 on most days of the week. The TAs were helpful. I went to Dr. Childs' hours and the math centre regularly. Dr. Childs is also very good at responding to e-mail. He responds really fast and this really encouraged me to ask questions.

It's easy to fall behind in this course. I had only taken 4 courses during the term and I managed to stay on track. It's harder with 5 courses. I recommend glancing over the headings of your notes before class to refresh (this takes 10 secs) if you cannot regularly review.

Definitely a lot more work needed than math 1A03. I recommend it if you like math. Do all of the practice problems and try to do them without your notes. Read Dr. Child's page on how to study math. Ask questions. You will do well.
Old 05-04-2015 at 06:21 PM   #66
Imperious

Took this course January - April 2015. Equivalent to the engineering math, Math 1ZB3

I liked this course a lot more compared to Math 1A03 simply because this course was a lot more calculation heavy and very little theory (other than convergence tests but they were quite simple). Same as the previous course, there were online assignments + dreadful maple labs for a total of 20% of your final mark. Same as before, these are your free marks.

First test - /20. Worth 20% of final mark. Content included: review of integrals from Math 1A03, evaluating improper integrals, all types of convergence/divergence tests and limits of sequences and series, radius and interval of convergence

Second Test - /17. Worth 20% of final mark. Content included: Taylor + McLaurin series, representation of functions as power series, differential equations, surface area of revolution and engineering applications (hydrostatic force).

Exam - /32. Worth 40% of final mark. Almost half of the material on the exam was NOT covered in Test 1 and Test 2.

My instructor was Dr. Nicas. He was an okay prof. Some of his explanations were not really clear and you didn't really understand why he did the stuff he did, you just kinda followed along. When he is teaching, he rarely turns around so you're better off asking your question at the end of class otherwise you're going to have your hand raised throughout the entire duration of the class. And when he did turn around he made eye contact with the clock and then would turn back around and continue talking to the board. I kind of liked this method of teaching so that everything just kinda keeps flowing and questions can be addressed at the end of class and all the lessons fit in the time period. Since this class was very calculation heavy, you could get away without actually understanding the theory behind it as long as you knew how to perform the calculations.

However one problem with the course this year was the scheduling. I don't think it was planned well because assignments were constantly getting extensions and the calendar was kind of off. Certain materials just didn't get enough time to get taught to be put on a test so a lot of things were either being pushed to the next midterm or the exam. The calendar also expected that we would have an entire week of review but we ended up learning new material all up until the last day of classes. However, the last chapter (15.3) was taught during the last few days of class but was not required for the exam simply because there wasn't enough time/exposure to/practice with the content.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search