MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1AA3 or Math 1BO3 (or both, and no inquiry) macsci Academics 2 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

Math 1AA3

Old 04-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #46
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1AA3
So Math 1AA3 is the continuation of Math 1A03 and it's the second calculus course mainly designed for science students. Compared to Math 1A03, which is mostly review from highschool (except integrals), Math 1AA3 definitely need more time to understand and get a good grasp of the materials...

Last edited by raine : 04-21-2009 at 06:22 AM.

says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:01 PM   #45
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
yea idk which major i want in 2nd year, but i'm looking into the biochem one, it says math 1b03 is strongly recommanded :O~ so.. should i take math 1aa3 for continuation for grad school school requirements or math1b03 for biochem requirements :O~

btw should i leave out psych1xx3 because i might not need it? D: idk i'm sooo confused D:

here are some possible changes that i might wanna do:
change pysch1xx3 to math1aa3
or
change math 1b03 to math 1aa3
Just because a course is recommended, doesn't mean you need to take it. Lots of people who want to take 1B03 do it in second year, because there's just not enough room in first year. I don't think 1B03 would help much with biochem courses, though, at least not in 2nd year. The only really mathy course in 2nd year is chembio 2P03 (biophysical chemistry) and that deals with much more calculus than anything else, so 1AA3 would help you more there.

I've heard that 1B03 isn't that hard tho, but I didn't think 1AA3 was too difficult, either. You can also take 1AA3 in second year if you want, but as people have said, it might make it easier to take 1AA3 right after 1A03.

Also, you won't need psych 1XX3 unless you're going into psych, or if you want to take more upper year psych programs, although 1XX3 can also be used to fulfill certain professional school requirements (usually first-year psych qualifies as a socsci/humanities course). If you want, you can take 1XX3 in another year if it becomes 'necessary'. If you want to take more upper year psych courses, or have an interest in neuroscience, I'd recommend taking it in first year though. If you have no interest in it, then take something else, because you probably won't end up needing it anyways--you can always take other socsci/humanities courses if a professional school requires it.

Last edited by nerual : 07-27-2010 at 11:03 PM.

strawbrryjam says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:15 PM   #46
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Just because a course is recommended, doesn't mean you need to take it. Lots of people who want to take 1B03 do it in second year, because there's just not enough room in first year. I don't think 1B03 would help much with biochem courses, though, at least not in 2nd year. The only really mathy course in 2nd year is chembio 2P03 (biophysical chemistry) and that deals with much more calculus than anything else, so 1AA3 would help you more there.

I've heard that 1B03 isn't that hard tho, but I didn't think 1AA3 was too difficult, either. You can also take 1AA3 in second year if you want, but as people have said, it might make it easier to take 1AA3 right after 1A03.

Also, you won't need psych 1XX3 unless you're going into psych, or if you want to take more upper year psych programs, although 1XX3 can also be used to fulfill certain professional school requirements (usually first-year psych qualifies as a socsci/humanities course). If you want, you can take 1XX3 in another year if it becomes 'necessary'. If you want to take more upper year psych courses, or have an interest in neuroscience, I'd recommend taking it in first year though. If you have no interest in it, then take something else, because you probably won't end up needing it anyways--you can always take other socsci/humanities courses if a professional school requires it.
for psych 1xx3, u mean that psych1xx3 is needed for professional school? because it counts as sosci/humanities course? :O~ sooo should i take socsciology instead? D:
o and should i take all three math courses in the first year? instead of pysch1xx3?
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:18 PM   #47
strawbrryjam

does econ1b03 count as humanities/socsci? O__O
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:52 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
My friend is in biochem and didn't take Math 1B03. It wasn't a problem for him in second year. He's going into third year and I don't think he's taking the course this year either.
Old 07-28-2010 at 12:03 AM   #49
strawbrryjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
My friend is in biochem and didn't take Math 1B03. It wasn't a problem for him in second year. He's going into third year and I don't think he's taking the course this year either.
i c. :O~
um... is it better to take math 1aa3 in the first year or 2nd year? D:
Old 07-28-2010 at 12:04 AM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
i c. :O~
um... is it better to take math 1aa3 in the first year or 2nd year? D:
I would suggest taking it in first year. It follows up Math 1A03, so it'll be an easier transition since you might forget some stuff in a years time.

strawbrryjam says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:26 AM   #51
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
for psych 1xx3, u mean that psych1xx3 is needed for professional school? because it counts as sosci/humanities course? :O~ sooo should i take socsciology instead? D:
o and should i take all three math courses in the first year? instead of pysch1xx3?
1XX3 isn't directly required for any professional schools that I've looked at. At most universities, however, first-year psych (not upper year psych, ONLY first year) can be used to fulfill all/part of their socsci/humanities requirements. This doesn't mean you need to take 1XX3--you could just as easily take another socsci/humanities course if you want--you can take whatever interests you. You could also wait and take the course in another year--you can take 1XX3, or another first-year course, in 2nd or 3rd or 4th year if you want. It's up to you. If the material covered in 1XX3 really interests you, then take it now--you can drop it up until the first week of January if you change your mind. I think econ counts as humanities/socsci, but check with the specific schools you're interested in, since they all have their own rules about what counts and what doesn't. It should say on the admissions website for the program you're interested in

For math, what most people typically do (from what I've seen, and this is mostly people who started off in life sci--physical sci would be different), is take 1A03 in first year, and then take 1AA3 either in second term of first year or the summer, and then take 1B03 in second year if they want to. It depends on the program you go into, but imo calculus is more useful than linear algebra for most programs that life sci leads into. As Jeremy said, 1B03 isn't much help for the biochem courses in second year. Generally, people who didn't take it in second year have no interest whatsoever in taking it, and it doesn't really hurt them any.

strawbrryjam says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:03 AM   #52
karna

Liked: 28 Times
i would not reccomend this course unless it is your pre req or only if you are interested in calculus. this is not a good course as an elective
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:17 AM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by karna View Post
i would not reccomend this course unless it is your pre req or only if you are interested in calculus. this is not a good course as an elective
If you did well in 1A03 you should do well in 1AA3, I got 1 grade point less in 1AA3 than 1A03 and I put in about the same amount of effort.
Old 04-17-2011 at 01:50 AM   #54
julian36

Liked: 1 Time
Math is an essential tools for science, I would say go for this course rather than Math 1LT3! Also Prof. Barto is hilarious.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 05-01-2011 at 02:14 PM   #55
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
I took the course with Dr. Martinez-Pedroza from Jan-April 2011.

I honestly thought this was one of the easiest courses I've taken in my life.

Dr Martinez was an awesome professor, he always made sure everyone understood before moving on, and he would occasionally make mistakes (as any professor does) but he would quickly correct himself or be corrected. He did a ton of practice (as opposed to just teaching the theory) which really helps because if you're lazy and don't do your homework or study a lot you can still "practice" in class while he does the question.

The tutorials were entirely unnecessary - they might have helped at the start but after the first few I stopped paying attention and then stopped going because they did not help whatsoever.

Even though the material seemed difficult, it really wasn't and the questions they asked were fairly basic on both the midterms and exams.

Overall, if you get him as a professor, I recommend it and I wouldn't be too worried about this course unless they change the difficulty in the future.
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:07 PM   #56
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times
I completely agree with Alchemist11.

I actually found this course to be easier than 1A03 (maybe because I was already used to the university workload?). I even scored one grade point higher than I did in 1A03.

Dr. Martinez-Pedroza was one of my favourite profs from first year. As Alcheimst11 said above, he made sure everything was clear with everyone before moving on. I recommend getting into his class if you have the chance.

I also recommend buying a code for the online assignments (WebAssign) if you get the chance. They give you some extra practice, as well as get you some free marks!

The tests weren't too bad if you did a couple of the practice problems, and I found the exam to be extremely easy.

I found this course to be one of my favourite/easiest first year courses - but then again, I just really like math
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:36 AM   #57
littlewood

I've registered for Math 1AA3 in term 2.Has anyone had experience with Hurd.TR.How is this instructor?
Old 10-11-2011 at 10:24 PM   #58
rania

I didnt take music 1A03 but im taking 1AA3, will it be really hard if i have no experience in music?
Old 10-11-2011 at 10:28 PM   #59
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rania View Post
I didnt take music 1A03 but im taking 1AA3, will it be really hard if i have no experience in music?
This thread is about math 1AA3, not music

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search