If you want your marks! kanishka Academics 30 05-29-2010 12:43 PM
When should marks be up by? Mac12 Academics 8 01-01-2010 03:44 PM
Exam Marks Alchemist11 Academics 20 12-25-2009 12:22 AM
Questions about marks crazyfree Academics 15 12-22-2009 11:11 PM

Our marks are up!!!!

Old 05-29-2010 at 11:18 AM   #31
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

Now that we know what program we've gotten into does that mean on our OSAP application we have to state that. For example if before I had Math & Stats (which was vague) and now its math and stats,Stats specialization. Do i have to change that? Does it even make a difference?; if i have to change it I'll have to do the application all over again! arggh
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:45 AM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Anyone got a link to a GPA calculating webform program?
(too lazy to do it by hand, haha)

Thanks
Your Grade Report tells you your cumulative average and your sessional average.

RyanC says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:46 AM   #33
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Business Free! (y)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Laydee Death, R.L. like this.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:53 AM   #34
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Try talking to one of your professors and see if they will bump you up by one grade. Explain to them your situation...
thats bull and unfair.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:55 AM   #35
Cassanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Chem must have had some sort of boost:

I got a mark that was impossible considering I knew which 3 markers I answered incorrectly. The highest percentage I could have gotten on the exam would not have given me the mark they gave me in the course, so they must have done something to make it possible.

I'm not complaining - I'm happy because that exam was freakin' hard.
woah woah. Chem never, ever bell curves or adjusts anything! We were told by Paul Hatala and Jeff Landry, that chemistry is one course that leaves things as it is. Our 1AA3 year had a final exam average of 54%. They didn't adjust anything. Yet they do it now? God Life is unfair.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:55 AM   #36
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Your Grade Report tells you your cumulative average and your sessional average.
Thanks; I didn't see that and had already done it by hand, haha.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:08 PM   #37
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

Yeah, for Chem, they reduced the total of the exam from 79 to 71.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:12 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, for Chem, they reduced the total of the exam from 79 to 71.
Wow, so unfair. They never adjust chemistry >.> Our orgo exam wasn't adjusted and apparently it was a failing exam -_-

Cassanova says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-29-2010
caludujf
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:30 PM   #39
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
woah woah. Chem never, ever bell curves or adjusts anything! We were told by Paul Hatala and Jeff Landry, that chemistry is one course that leaves things as it is. Our 1AA3 year had a final exam average of 54%. They didn't adjust anything. Yet they do it now? God Life is unfair.
Normally I'd agree with you and say it didn't need a boost, but everyone did the last 5 years of practice exams they gave out, and I honestly think none of them were as difficult as this years - so without an adjustment I'm sure the average would be < 50%.

And about the organic chem - that course is notoriously difficult isn't it?
'Sides, it's a second year course which means it's less likely to be adjusted to raise the mark.

79 to 71 - that means there was probably one wrong/messed up 2 mark question, and they took out two 3 markers which totally makes sense to me.

With that adjustment I found out it boosted me up by one grade point anyway, so even if they didn't adjust it wouldn't have been THAT bad.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:37 PM   #40
Cassanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Normally I'd agree with you and say it didn't need a boost, but everyone did the last 5 years of practice exams they gave out, and I honestly think none of them were as difficult as this years - so without an adjustment I'm sure the average would be < 50%.

And about the organic chem - that course is notoriously difficult isn't it?
'Sides, it's a second year course which means it's less likely to be adjusted to raise the mark.

79 to 71 - that means there was probably one wrong/messed up 2 mark question, and they took out two 3 markers which totally makes sense to me.

With that adjustment I found out it boosted me up by one grade point anyway, so even if they didn't adjust it wouldn't have been THAT bad.
They never release final exams as practice, its not allowed. They're usually changed. And less likely? First year is one year that is the least likely to adjust marks. Upper year courses are a lot more likely to adjust their marks with the exception of orgo. I think the only way the adjusted the marks was if the average was failing and not like 49 something like 40-45.

I hate my year. Its the worst. We have to put up with all these new courses, terrible profs, really unfair courses (Bio 1a03, 1aa3 which is now a breeze, used to be so boring/hard with Jacobs and Papa.) and now chemistry now adjusting marks... it just gets easier for you guys.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:41 PM   #41
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Oh Marketing... 2nd report must have dropped my grade by at least 1-2 points :(
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:47 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
They never release final exams as practice, its not allowed. They're usually changed. And less likely? First year is one year that is the least likely to adjust marks. Upper year courses are a lot more likely to adjust their marks with the exception of orgo. I think the only way the adjusted the marks was if the average was failing and not like 49 something like 40-45.

I hate my year. Its the worst. We have to put up with all these new courses, terrible profs, really unfair courses (Bio 1a03, 1aa3 which is now a breeze, used to be so boring/hard with Jacobs and Papa.) and now chemistry now adjusting marks... it just gets easier for you guys.
That's the story of education in our society. The material gets so much easier because the students can't seem to grasp it. They revamped the science and math curriculum in high schools, removed a bunch of stuff and brought material up grades. Like ecology which was a grade 9 subject which was ridiculously easy is now part of grade 10 science.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:47 PM   #43
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by caludujf View Post
do they mail your final marks to you?
Final marks are only available online and, by request, transcripts.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:48 PM   #44
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Anyone got a link to a GPA calculating webform program?
(too lazy to do it by hand, haha)

Thanks
i use this..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 12 to 4 point conversion.pdf (25.2 KB, 93 views)

sana1504 says thanks to pinkpiggydoe for this post.