Exam Marks Alchemist11 Academics 20 12-25-2009 12:22 AM
Questions about marks crazyfree Academics 15 12-22-2009 11:11 PM

Our marks are up!!!!

Old 05-29-2010 at 07:37 PM   #76
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
I would have to agree, there's no point comparing. Also specifically for chemistry, if you say you did 5 years of previous exams and you think that yours was significantly harder, well that's what we said 3 years ago, and I'm betting a reason for this is that RARELY when you do practice tests at home do you put yourself in an exam situation with 3 hrs and no notes to refer back to. How many of you actually did the previous years exams without referring to your notes? If you did, I'm sure it would feel JUST as hard as your exam was.

I'm not trying to downgrade the difficulty of chem, the tests/exams are brutal. However, there really is no basis for comparison to previous years.
true, but the kind of questions that were on this year compared to last year for chem was quite different. If you looked at the previous years, they tested concepts throughly where as i remember one specific question on our midterm this year, they tested whether or not you can remember the exact formula for a compound given its common name, there were alot more trivial questions asking for those things rather than big concepts where you need to piece together the big ideas.
Old 05-29-2010 at 08:21 PM   #77
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
so you're saying you didn't once look to the solutions (or your notes) to see how to do a question? then say "oh yeah i understand that?" even after the fact...even after you do the exam, you'd look at the solutions and think oh thats so easy
During the exams, no, I didn't ever look at my notes. And there were no solutions given out for those practice exams. So no, I didn't do those either.

I was confident of the ones I got correct, and the ones I wasn't I discussed and figured out with a friend.
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:13 PM   #78
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
is this an automatic scholarship? if youre on the deans honour list? or do u have to apply or something?
it was my entrance scholarship, i think it was the one you get for having at least an 85% average in HS
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:17 PM   #79
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
so you're saying you didn't once look to the solutions (or your notes) to see how to do a question? then say "oh yeah i understand that?" even after the fact...even after you do the exam, you'd look at the solutions and think oh thats so easy
You should meet him in person.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-29-2010 at 09:55 PM   #80
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Normally I'd agree with you and say it didn't need a boost, but everyone did the last 5 years of practice exams they gave out, and I honestly think none of them were as difficult as this years - so without an adjustment I'm sure the average would be < 50%.

And about the organic chem - that course is notoriously difficult isn't it?
'Sides, it's a second year course which means it's less likely to be adjusted to raise the mark.
Well, one thing you should remember is that in the past 5 years, they might've had very difficult midterms where everybody failed. So the professors may have given slightly easier exams to compensate.

And orgo isn't that hard, no. Just study and you will do well!
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:05 AM   #81
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Normally I'd agree with you and say it didn't need a boost, but everyone did the last 5 years of practice exams they gave out, and I honestly think none of them were as difficult as this years - so without an adjustment I'm sure the average would be < 50%.

And about the organic chem - that course is notoriously difficult isn't it?
'Sides, it's a second year course which means it's less likely to be adjusted to raise the mark.
Okay seriously, the first years and the upper years have got to stop arguing about which year's chem was the most difficult. It varies from year to year and differs between profs. And yeah, orgo wasn't too difficult cause it didn't have any math in it (for people who hate math).
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:31 AM   #82
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
it was my entrance scholarship, i think it was the one you get for having at least an 85% average in HS
i was under the impression entrance scholarships were non-renewable...
Old 05-30-2010 at 06:13 AM   #83
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i was under the impression entrance scholarships were non-renewable...
Hmm maybe they're not renewable anymore. I'm reading old undergrad calendars and comparing to the new ones. Starting in last year's undergrad calendar, there is no longer a line that tells you that it's renewable. I think now, it's only renewable if you entered during a year when the scholarship was renewable (the last entry with renewable scholarships was Sept 2008).
Old 05-30-2010 at 06:16 AM   #84
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

cool, so I missed out on free money by a year :(
Old 05-30-2010 at 07:39 AM   #85
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

well there should be some sort of prize for getting on the deans honour list
Old 05-30-2010 at 08:05 AM   #86
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
bragging rights?
Old 05-30-2010 at 08:38 AM   #87
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
My marks are up, and I've decided to never take a class with Dr. Joe Kim ever again. :/ But good amount of 11's and 10's so I'm happy. :]

Erm, but I'm pretty sure one of my marks is wrong, is it late to e-mail a prof or see a prof?
how would you know that one of your marks is wrong?

i "feel" that one of my marks is wrong b/c i thought i aced the exam, but my final grade says otherwise.

has scantron done anything crazy for anyone?
Old 05-30-2010 at 09:17 AM   #88
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
how would you know that one of your marks is wrong?

i "feel" that one of my marks is wrong b/c i thought i aced the exam, but my final grade says otherwise.

has scantron done anything crazy for anyone?
Well, for one the particular exam for this course didn't use a scantron. It was all in a booklet. Two, I went into the exam with over a 90 and the exam itself was only worth 12.5% of my grade. So, yes, I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

People get screwed up with the scantron if for the example, they forgot to put their student number somewhere. Or they weren't paying attention and marked boxes a line over where they're supposed to be.

Oh, and about renewable entrance scholarships. I don't think they are anymore. At one point, they were renewable all four years. When I came to Mac, it was renewable the second year. But now? I don't think it is at all. Mac got cheap for some reason.

Last edited by feonateresa : 05-30-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2010 at 09:23 AM   #89
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Higher chance of getting scholarships?
Old 05-30-2010 at 11:28 AM   #90
ebfrancis

Liked: 0 Times

Its a joke for you, keep this for urself ..its not worth posting this here