Wewt! Got into Electrical Engineering.
Welcome to ECE!
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:22 PM   #62
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
What was the minimum grade requirement for the scholarship?
9.5, aka Dean's Honour List. I'm not sure if you have to take a certain number of units though.
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:30 PM   #63
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
aw .2 from dean's list. now i have to pay an extra 1k cuz my scholarship is gone...
is this an automatic scholarship? if youre on the deans honour list? or do u have to apply or something?
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:31 PM   #64
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Welcome to ECE!
Or as how it seems from the engineering discussion boards; welcome to buttrape.

Ohmz likes this.
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:49 PM   #65
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Or as how it seems from the engineering discussion boards; welcome to buttrape.
Yeah!
Old 05-29-2010 at 05:55 PM   #66
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
5 years ago that is a whole new story. I am talking about this moment now. Today there is just so much competition and Canadian Education standards are behind. Look at asian countries they learn grade 12 math in earlier years like grade 9 . They are trying to improve and all that is great BUT there are all these ridicoloulous expectations, they assume the majority is gifted or talented and us regular people should be able to match them. Im neither, I just work hard and sometimes that doesn't even pay off. Simply but Lifes a B****. I may be complaining buts its not going to go anywhere, its above me and I just accept that.
What ridicoloulous [sic] expectations are you talking about exactly? It's a joke to get into University, and it's a joke to simply pass University. The only thing I can think of that is absolutely ridiculous are acceptances to Canadian Medical Schools, and if that's too difficult then one can easily switch to something else in healthcare.

For what exactly does one need to be gifted or talented to succeed in?
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:06 PM   #67
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
What ridicoloulous [sic] expectations are you talking about exactly? It's a joke to get into University, and it's a joke to simply pass University. The only thing I can think of that is absolutely ridiculous are acceptances to Canadian Medical Schools, and if that's too difficult then one can easily switch to something else in healthcare.

Well, when second years start capitalizing common nouns, Kamran...yes it is a joke...

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-29-2010 at 06:07 PM   #68
Alchemist11
Elite Member

I capitalize Government too...
It's not my fault - I was born in Canada!
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:18 PM   #69
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltandan View Post
Does anyone know how to calculate your actual percent mark? I really despise Mac's grading system.
You'd have to ask all your professors what your exact percent grade was, otherwise you can't.

Or you could calculate each possibility which would take like a year.

EDIT: Do you mean average or for each individual class? For individual classes, just take what you got on each assignment/test etc, and times it by what it's worth. So, say if you got 90 percent on an assignment that's worth 15%, you would do 90 x 0.15 = 13.5

Do that for the rest of your assignments, and add up your totals. Whatever you get at the end, is your mark out of a 100. At that point, you could get your exact average for all your classes.

Last edited by feonateresa : 05-29-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:21 PM   #70
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You'd have to ask all your professors what your exact percent grade was, otherwise you can't.

Or you could calculate each possibility which would take like a year.

EDIT: Do you mean average or for each individual class? For individual classes, just take what you got on each assignment/test etc, and times it by what it's worth. So, say if you got 90 percent on an assignment that's worth 15%, you would do 90 x 0.15 = 13.5

Do that for the rest of your assignments, and add up your totals. Whatever you get at the end, is your mark out of a 100.
Well, thanks Mac for being such a great school...-_-
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:22 PM   #71
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
is this an automatic scholarship? if youre on the deans honour list? or do u have to apply or something?
Entrance scholarships, I would think.

As for the rest of the thread, there's really no point in comparing the ease of your courses to previous years or years after you. In my first year, a lot of fellow classmates complained that X course was MUCH harder than it was a year ago ... then the next after that, etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because graduate schools don't really care about how difficult courses are. :\
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:27 PM   #72
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Dunno. Graduate school, I suppose - although this all speculation on my part, of course. Seems like one can easily do well in most undergraduate programs by just doing the work.

Old 05-29-2010 at 06:29 PM   #73
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Entrance scholarships, I would think.

As for the rest of the thread, there's really no point in comparing the ease of your courses to previous years or years after you. In my first year, a lot of fellow classmates complained that X course was MUCH harder than it was a year ago ... then the next after that, etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because graduate schools don't really care about how difficult courses are. :\
I would have to agree, there's no point comparing. Also specifically for chemistry, if you say you did 5 years of previous exams and you think that yours was significantly harder, well that's what we said 3 years ago, and I'm betting a reason for this is that RARELY when you do practice tests at home do you put yourself in an exam situation with 3 hrs and no notes to refer back to. How many of you actually did the previous years exams without referring to your notes? If you did, I'm sure it would feel JUST as hard as your exam was.

I'm not trying to downgrade the difficulty of chem, the tests/exams are brutal. However, there really is no basis for comparison to previous years.
Old 05-29-2010 at 06:50 PM   #74
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Dunno. Graduate school, I suppose - although this all speculation on my part, of course. Seems like one can easily do well in most undergraduate programs by just doing the work.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
I would have to agree, there's no point comparing. Also specifically for chemistry, if you say you did 5 years of previous exams and you think that yours was significantly harder, well that's what we said 3 years ago, and I'm betting a reason for this is that RARELY when you do practice tests at home do you put yourself in an exam situation with 3 hrs and no notes to refer back to. How many of you actually did the previous years exams without referring to your notes? If you did, I'm sure it would feel JUST as hard as your exam was.

I'm not trying to downgrade the difficulty of chem, the tests/exams are brutal. However, there really is no basis for comparison to previous years.
Who the hell looks at notes during a 'practice exam'?
Old 05-29-2010 at 07:14 PM   #75
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Agreed.

Who the hell looks at notes during a 'practice exam'?
so you're saying you didn't once look to the solutions (or your notes) to see how to do a question? then say "oh yeah i understand that?" even after the fact...even after you do the exam, you'd look at the solutions and think oh thats so easy