Questions about marks crazyfree Academics 15 12-22-2009 11:11 PM

Our marks are up!!!!

Old 05-29-2010 at 12:49 PM   #46
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
They never release final exams as practice, its not allowed. They're usually changed. And less likely? First year is one year that is the least likely to adjust marks. Upper year courses are a lot more likely to adjust their marks with the exception of orgo. I think the only way the adjusted the marks was if the average was failing and not like 49 something like 40-45.

I hate my year. Its the worst. We have to put up with all these new courses, terrible profs, really unfair courses (Bio 1a03, 1aa3 which is now a breeze, used to be so boring/hard with Jacobs and Papa.) and now chemistry now adjusting marks... it just gets easier for you guys.
" and now chemistry now adjusting marks... it just gets easier for you guys."
Agreed, but the same goes for you.

You're one year older than us - what about the students who graduated 5 years ago? 10? Before the internet? The double cohort year?

Lois likes this.
Old 05-29-2010 at 01:15 PM   #47
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
just curious how do you know you got into social work? I thought offers were mailed out on or about June 15?
Yeah I thought the same thing. But I checked my grade report and it said "Eligible For: BA Sociology/BSW." It may be different because I'm starting a year later, but I'm still expecting a letter or something.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 05-29-2010 at 01:40 PM   #48
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

yessssss.. i didnt fail chem 1aa3 ... actually did waayyy better than anticipated lmao
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:05 PM   #49
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just wondering, is eligibility for a program based on the minimum cut-off or how competitive other applicants are?
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:12 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Just wondering, is eligibility for a program based on the minimum cut-off or how competitive other applicants are?
I don't know, but logically it would be the latter. If there is a low number of applicants or a low number of applicants who have good grades, then they aren't going to only accept a handful of students in the program. For programs that have limited number of spaces, they would probably accept students starting for the highest grade until the capacity is met.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:20 PM   #51
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

Sara, I'm wondering the same thing.

I applied for a transfer to the BHSc program, for which I exceeded the minimum average, yet was declared "ineligible." By "ineligible" I take it to mean that I wasn't meeting one of the basic requirements so I wasn't taken into consideration. Maybe they rejected me based on my supplementary application... but then it should have said "not accepted" or "rejected" rather than "ineligible." Ugh... Is "ineligible" just the term they use for every program that you are not accepted into?

Last edited by Needlenose : 05-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:26 PM   #52
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
Sara, I'm wondering the same thing as well.

I applied for a transfer to the BHSc program, for which I exceeded the minimum average, yet was declared "ineligible." By "ineligible" I take it to mean that I wasn't meeting one of the basic requirements so I wasn't taken into consideration. Maybe they rejected me based on my supplementary application... but then it should have said "not accepted" or "rejected" rather than "ineligible." Ugh... Is "ineligible" just the term they use for every program that you are not accepted into?
Or it's because there aren't any spots left (meaning you didn't beat the competition).

I'm pretty sure they use ineligible for everything.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:42 PM   #53
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I was under the assumption that eligible meant that when you choose your program, you are eligible to select that program, in other words, that you were accepted into it.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:45 PM   #54
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I was under the assumption that eligible meant that when you choose your program, you are eligible to select that program, in other words, that you were accepted into it.
That is correct.
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:06 PM   #55
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
" and now chemistry now adjusting marks... it just gets easier for you guys."
Agreed, but the same goes for you.

You're one year older than us - what about the students who graduated 5 years ago? 10? Before the internet? The double cohort year?
5 years ago that is a whole new story. I am talking about this moment now. Today there is just so much competition and Canadian Education standards are behind. Look at asian countries they learn grade 12 math in earlier years like grade 9 . They are trying to improve and all that is great BUT there are all these ridicoloulous expectations, they assume the majority is gifted or talented and us regular people should be able to match them. Im neither, I just work hard and sometimes that doesn't even pay off. Simply but Lifes a B****. I may be complaining buts its not going to go anywhere, its above me and I just accept that.
Old 05-29-2010 at 04:04 PM   #56
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

aw .2 from dean's list. now i have to pay an extra 1k cuz my scholarship is gone...
Old 05-29-2010 at 04:13 PM   #57
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Wewt! Got into Electrical Engineering.
LOL
Have fun with dat :p

Last edited by juntom10 : 05-29-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2010 at 04:42 PM   #58
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Does anyone know how to calculate your actual percent mark? I really despise Mac's grading system.
Old 05-29-2010
R633
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-29-2010 at 04:45 PM   #59
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
aw .2 from dean's list. now i have to pay an extra 1k cuz my scholarship is gone...
What was the minimum grade requirement for the scholarship?