MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a few courses after graduating aani Academics 2 03-21-2011 07:40 PM
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM

Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses

Members have rated post #242336 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:26 PM   #91
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjae0958 View Post
ya ya yaya, whatever

you seem like the type of person who has a lot to say in an argument no matter what the other person says. you are going to have some sort of a "comeback" no matter what anyone says.

You seem like an articulate, intelligent person though.

But whether you are right or wrong, it'd be nice if you care more about others' feelings. You dont have to come off so aggressive to make your point...even if you may be right.

alright? Im done. You can come up with a smart ass reply with mini quotations, dissecting every one of my sentence and why Im wrong. I dont care. Im exhausted. Let's move on.
Welcome to the internet. People argue until someone gives up and decides that there's nothing worth responding to. But I'm not really seeing how he's aggressive or attempting to hurt IceCream's feelings (in fact I'd say its the opposite).
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:31 PM   #92
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
ya ya yaya, whatever

But whether you are right or wrong, it'd be nice if you care more about others' feelings. You dont have to come off so aggressive to make your point...even if you may be right.
lol do you think Icecream cares about feelings? have you seen the number of comments where he calls other people stupid almost for no reason? or where he makes fun of people for paying taxes, and therefore paying for his tuition? or where he said that Canada is a broken country? I could go on and on and on...
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:34 PM   #93
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
ya ya yaya, whatever

you seem like the type of person who has a lot to say in an argument no matter what the other person says. you are going to have some sort of a "comeback" no matter what anyone says.

You seem like an articulate, intelligent person though.

alright? Im done. You can come up with a smart ass reply with mini quotations, dissecting every one of my sentence and why Im wrong. I dont care. Im exhausted. Let's move on.
Zuh? Mahratta is one of the politest posters I've ever encountered.

Mahratta says thanks to Rudiger for this post.
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:35 PM   #94
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Also I'm just curious as to why Icecream is confusing the meaning of tu quoque.... That particular version of an ad hominem is a "You too" appeal to hypocrisy.
Old 05-16-2011 at 06:37 PM   #95
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post

Initially, no-one was 'picking on' Icecream. Various forumers responded to his original post, and he then proceeded to repeat the same post without considering their points while throwing in the occasional Latin name for a particular logical fallacy (where it doesn't apply, may I add).

If you read IceCream's original post, you'll see that it was an argument about word choice. I responded to his original post by clarification. He then proceeded to ignore all my subsequent posts and continue repeating his original point (adding more capital letters, exclamation marks, personal attacks and expletives as time progressed) before agreeing with my (and Mowicz') original comparison...and then continued arguing for some reason.

I've learned from prior experience with Icecream that there's no point responding after a period of time.
Just admit you were wrong. You are too arrogant.

You cannot even admit you made a mistake.

The logical fallacies were mostly committed by Mowicz.

I found out the mistake but Mowicz is such a fan of yours that he/she decided to defend you. How did he/she do that ? By claiming I said something that is not true ( I did not claim that having a PhD gives you a job automatically)

The disagreement with regards to the statement with the bold front is what caused the eruption of comments.

Here is Mowicz post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I was avoiding this thread for a while now, but I did have to comment on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Your opinion is irrational.

Mathematics Professor : Job.

Perhaps it used to be true, 30-40 years ago, that getting a PhD implied employment.

In academia, the competitive aspect occurs after getting your PhD. You have to struggle to impress a university in hopes that they'll take you on for a (temporary, usually a year or two) Post Doctoral fellowship. Then the problem is that a university may hire a post-doc in a field that they don't even want a tenured faculty member...so no matter how good a job you do, you're not getting hired.

In the Math department here at Mac, I know of two post-docs who consistently get amazing teaching ratings, and pull in significant grant money...and yet they're still post-docs.

As a math major who's considered applying to med school, I'd like to say I've (at least somewhat) seen both sides of the issue...and in my best judgemen, I can fully and honestly say that once you get into med school, it's much easier to get employed, than as a math student who got into grad school. (In fact, this is one of the reasons I don't want to pursue doctoral studies in math)
That is the problem with Mahratta's worshipers: They rant about anything without even taking their time to read. In the quote, did I claim that a PhD implied employment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Also I'm just curious as to why Icecream is confusing the meaning of tu quoque.... That particular version of an ad hominem is a "You too" appeal to hypocrisy.
Ad Hominem Tu Quoque is a logical fallacy in which the person uses a previous opponents claim or deeds as an argument. The opponent could be a hypocrite but it does NOT mean that his/her argument is invalid. This is why it is a fallacy. I can say : "Whatever I claim from now on is a lie" and then claim " I ate breakfast yesterday." Previous claims are irrelevant.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 06:55 PM   #96
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
Zuh? Mahratta is one of the politest posters I've ever encountered.
Haha, having gone through a couple of threads of this sort, I really do miss our discussion about evolution and the scientific method!

Old 05-16-2011 at 06:59 PM  
W. Steinitz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-16-2011 at 07:06 PM   #97
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Steinitz View Post
People have already explained things to you but you just don't get it, you're too close minded.
You're not going to convince anyone, just give up.
Explain what ? You guys claim this and that. You (Mahratta's fans) have yet to show me a quote supporting your claims.

Convince ? How do you convince people who keep using logical fallacies ?
Old 05-16-2011 at 07:11 PM   #98
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

-_- this thread has officially gone way off track, derailed, taken a major detour, and is on an annoying obtuse triangle currently..... its like listening to little kids whine about now getting what they want

Icecream says thanks to Chevalier for this post.

Ace0fSpades, Icecream like this.