MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 08-16-2012 at 01:18 PM   #436
viscasd

Liked: 0 Times

to not slack at the beginning of the year, the year will move so fast that you need to be on top of things right away. don't wait until the last minute, remember university midterms/essays etc are worth way more than in highschool so you need to understand that you need to study longer and harder for something.
Old 08-18-2012 at 09:49 PM   #437
murphyh

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Not if you're in commerce.
WHAT YEAR IS THE HARDEST?!?
Old 08-18-2012 at 11:26 PM   #438
ashish_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillcm View Post
If you want to take money out on campus (ATM), buy an envelope from the bookstore and ask for cash back. Wish I knew that earlier.
sorry guys, i didn't understand. could someone please explain it?
Old 08-18-2012 at 11:51 PM   #439
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_s View Post
sorry guys, i didn't understand. could someone please explain it?
Cashback is a way to get cash when you purchase things from stores. Not all stores are willing to do cashbacks but it's always worth to ask if you need cash. You just ask for cashback (and include the amount) and they'll charge you that amount on top of what you are buying. When you pay with your debit, they'll give you the money.

So if you buy a 1$ pen and ask for a 20$ cashback, they'll charge you 21$. You then pay with your debit card and they'll give you 20$.
Old 08-19-2012
lifesciman1
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-19-2012 at 12:20 AM   #440
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
I wish I knew what happened to the OP....
I know him in person. He is still around ....3rd year.
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:07 AM   #441
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Eat candy. Clears your head.
Old 08-20-2012 at 08:07 AM   #442
Zebedee
Resident Artist

double post, sorry.

Last edited by Zebedee : 08-21-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: double post
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:31 AM   #443
TryingtoFind

1.)Find all of your textbooks online or get the pdf's from friends.
2.)Go to lectures even if the professor is horrible because its important to establish a solid routine. 3.)Take a break every once in awhile to have some fun...there's always more chemistry you could be doing but it can wait sometimes.
4.)Similar to number 3...pace yourself

P.S. the hardest year depends on your program and when you take the harder courses, i say this as a biochemist.
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:49 AM   #444
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by romitnagrare View Post
make sure to buy ur textbooks b4 skool starts
Were you dropped on your head prior to writing this post? Ask anyone and they will tell you this is the worst possible idea for many reasons. One, there are instances where a prof will change the courseware for their course in the first week of lectures, making your purchase useless. Two, a lot of classes have required courseware, but the teachers test based on material straight from lecture only, and provide slides that give all the information needed, sometimes straight from the textbook! To any first years reading this thread, please ignore romitnagrare's advice on this praticular subject if you want to save yourself some money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
Pizza Pizza takes meal plan.
Well Pizza Pizza is on campus... in MUSC, in the cafeteria... so yes I think it goes without saying that they would take meal plan... how did you not come to this conclusion in your first year? as this thread is titled things you wish you knew.

Lastly, are there really 429 things that people didnt know in first year?
Old 08-20-2012 at 01:44 PM   #445
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
There's more, but that's all I'll put down for now. Sorry for, you know, the essay. :s
In university, this is classified as a "chapter summary", not an "essay". And you'd probably get a C- for it. And it's not MLA, double-spaced, OR stapled in the upper right-hand corner. And who's your TA, anyway?

jim1, moonlitnight like this.
Old 08-20-2012 at 02:51 PM   #446
Chris23
Account Locked

The past few posts have not appeared visible on this thread, likely due to the size of the thread. If it cant be fixed by a mod, make a 2nd thread
Old 08-20-2012 at 03:03 PM   #447
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
The past few posts have not appeared visible on this thread, likely due to the size of the thread. If it cant be fixed by a mod, make a 2nd thread
Or you can edit your settings.

Control Panel >> Settings & Privacy >> Thread Display Options >> Thread Display Mode >> Linear - Newest First.

If you don't like this option, you can always go back to the "Linear - Oldest First" option, and just use this option when a particular thread gets really big.

Last edited by jim1 : 08-20-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2012 at 03:21 PM   #448
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Or you can edit your settings.

Control Panel >> Settings & Privacy >> Thread Display Options >> Thread Display Mode >> Linear - Newest First.

If you don't like this option, you can always go back to the "Linear - Oldest First" option, and just use this option when a particular thread gets really big.
Thanks never knew that!
Old 08-20-2012 at 08:15 PM   #449
meera.m

quick question, is it better to buy textbooks after your first class or before?