MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 01-12-2012 at 12:36 AM   #391
kingrama

Liked: 0 Times

living in a shared rez room was horrible
Old 01-15-2012 at 05:01 PM   #392
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I wish I knew to branch out and make more than one group of friends in first year.

I wish I knew that the more personal the wound, the more universal, and that judging people would create an invisible wall between us and that benefits no one.

I wish I understood that action is always the answer.

I wish I knew how much fun rock climbing is.

Old 01-18-2012 at 11:14 PM   #393
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

The best advice I can give is to think long term while in university about a future career.

Coming from a new grad who went through the job search process over the summer, university grads are a dime a dozen and just having a degree isn't nearly enough anymore, especially if it's just a bachelors. I won't comment on other degrees, but just having a BSc on it's own is near worthless without relevant work experience.

Start searching for a position early before you graduate, NETWORK, go to info sessions, work on soft skills, utilize career services, gain as much work experience while still in school as possible. Even a minimum wage job is better then a blank resume.
Old 01-20-2012 at 04:03 PM   #394
Langbanj

try and buy all your textbooks used off a 2nd year student. it will save you alot of money =)
Old 01-22-2012 at 08:38 PM   #395
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdifelice View Post
i found listening in class and taking extra notes that arent mentioned in notes posted really helped. sometimes profs will ask questions about things only mentioned in class. which brings me to my other tip: go to class and pay attention. if its 8:30, get sleep the night before. also, if you have more than one midterm on the same day, give equal time for studying. its still hard to do this, even in third year but its best if mastered in first year
I've been taking a lot less notes this year and doing that extra note thing, and doing notes in my own time based on what I find in posted notes as valuble..
Old 01-22-2012 at 08:48 PM   #396
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoocchh View Post
I wish I knew/realized how extremely fast the year passes by in university. You blink, and first year is over..
Just wait, you'll blink again and be done undergrad....

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 01-22-2012 at 09:18 PM   #397
Maxililyn

this is so helpful!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2012 at 11:07 PM   #398
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

-> Don't go downtown alone at night... super creepy people
-> Go out of mac and explore everything... some beautiful waterfalls in hamilton
-> If you live on rez, GET OUT of your room! so many new people to meet espically first year
-> Try sitting in the front of class, helps keeps you focused
-> Despite how important uni is, try to make some free time to have fun!
Old 02-03-2012 at 12:18 AM   #399
ianjbondy

The intensive Japanese course is more intense than it sounds, and you shouldn't take it because you like the old Godzilla movies.

Also, if you're majoring in Cognitive Science of Language/Linguistics, you can do a double major with English. Which means you don't need to take any other language courses.
Old 02-03-2012 at 12:53 AM   #400
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

dont read this thread while you should be studying for a midterm

Bonhomme, Yashoda like this.
Old 02-03-2012 at 12:06 PM  
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 02-04-2012 at 02:13 AM   #401
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I wish there was a way to mark what sections you've red in a thread, and which ones you haven't.
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:31 PM   #402
catherined93
Account Disabled by User

Don't have your labs on friday. If you do, try to change it on SOLAR. Most midterms/quizzes happen on friday (especially for life-sci subjects), so it's a real pain to have 2 or 3 evaluations on the same day.
Old 02-17-2012 at 01:36 PM   #403
JokrJon

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I wish I knew how little class material would be applicable in real life work.

And although I am proud of my academics, and the blood sweat and tears that were sacrificed in the process, I wish I took the time out of my school life to relish those closest to me, and to explore foreign experiences which would later shape who I would become as a human being.

I wish I knew to work as hard at LIFE 101 as I did in MECHENG 3R03 (which was EFFING difficult), because the uplifting feeling of accomplishment when receiving a 12 in Engineering is fleeting, but the knowledge of self is forever.

aznsensation says thanks to JokrJon for this post.

Ish001, justinsftw, myroodle like this.
Old 02-17-2012 at 09:37 PM   #404
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokrJon View Post
I wish I knew how little class material would be applicable in real life work.

And although I am proud of my academics, and the blood sweat and tears that were sacrificed in the process, I wish I took the time out of my school life to relish those closest to me, and to explore foreign experiences which would later shape who I would become as a human being.

I wish I knew to work as hard at LIFE 101 as I did in MECHENG 3R03 (which was EFFING difficult), because the uplifting feeling of accomplishment when receiving a 12 in Engineering is fleeting, but the knowledge of self is forever.
You win man...absolutely true.