MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
Alternate Offers amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-10-2010 04:54 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
Conditional Offers yevenbother First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 07-15-2009 11:20 PM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Offers of Admission

Old 03-31-2008 at 05:21 PM   #61
Aestas

Liked: 0 Times

I really like the two degree thing, but I want to do business as well as engineering. So either I go into Ivey (didn't apply this year... damn) or I go into the management option at Mac. Both choices are highly competititve, where Ivey is probably more difficult to get into... But at UWO I have the backup option of getting a B.Sc. + engineering...
Old 03-31-2008 at 05:45 PM   #62
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I dont think you would have had to apply this year to get into Ivey for engineering and business....I think its a second year thing, but I also believe its highly competitive (I thought I saw you needed an 85% in some courses....very difficult to get an 85% in university).

I think if I want to do Engineering and business, I'd go to mac because I think its less competitive than trying to get into Ivey. However...it would be handy to have a whole other degree in case it turns out I dont really like electrical engineering work....

Plus, if I do the double degree in engineering and comp. sci. its still possible to get an MBA afterwards (graduating with 3 degrees in 7 years )....though it wouldn't be as easy if I havn't had any business courses yet (which I would get with the mac eng and management program).

I think it will make my decision easier if I can get a tour of western's engineering facilities...but there only tour date is this friday and I can't go because I have a vectors test :S

Last edited by J-Met : 03-31-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2008 at 06:55 PM   #63
Aestas

I'm still unsure how much of an edge the engineering and management will give me because in comparison to Ivey, McMaster's business school is not as well known.

My friend at western doing the Ivey and engineering degrees thinks that western is probably the easier school out of Mac/Queen's because many of her classmates are getting 70s and 80s. So that 80ish average may still be attainable...

Then again, engineering and management at Mac will likely be very popular and I've heard that you need a GPA like 9+/12.0 to be considered. The main reason I'm considering Mac is for its management option, so if I don't get in, I'll have no backup. Whereas at western, I can always do the mechanical and medical biophysics option... if I don't get into Ivey.

I've never been to Mac's engineering facilities (will likely go in May when tours resume) but I will be touring western this coming friday. Hopefully there will be enough people in my group for a tour of the engineering facilities.
Old 03-31-2008 at 07:17 PM   #64
J-Met
Elite Member

I suppose you may be right.

I tend to think of western as being a more difficult school because they have one of the highest acceptance averages in the country (would not bode well for the bell curve), but engineering is only a very small part of their total enrollment. (I think they have something like 25 000 students and only 1300 engineers).

This probably isn't a good gauge as to the academic caliber of western engineering students, but I recieved my acceptance for western engineering before UOIT even (i think it was sometime in early to mid february, beore my mac acceptance anyways)....maybe they aren't as stringent with there engineers as they are with the rest of the school.

It might actually be a less competitive program than mac?

Either way, my decision seems to get harder and harder the closer i look at these two schools lol
Old 03-31-2008 at 09:28 PM   #65
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Hey look, other engineering prospectives!

I have nothing to contribute to the current discussion, though. Just wanted to throw myself in here, so I can MEET NEW PEOPLE and all that fun stuff. :P

Perhaps if you guys can't really pick one over the other, you could choose based off which campus has the better food? I think that's what I'll end up doing, between Waterloo and Mac!
Old 03-31-2008 at 09:56 PM   #66
Aestas

I thought western engineering would be difficult to get into... which is why I withdrew my application intially and only recently re-applied there. Frankly, I was shocked when I found out I got in two weeks later...

Hey, another engineering prospective! Yeah, seems like everyone nowadays is torn between universities. At least we're only torn between 2... I know people who can't decide between 3 or 4.

But not only am I torn between universities, I'm also torn between engineering disciplines. I'm deciding between chemical and mechanical... I've heard that western's chemical isn't as strong as Mac's so if I want to do chemical, I should be going to Hamiliton.

For food/campus life, I think my decision is pretty easy because western is known for that.
Old 03-31-2008 at 11:50 PM   #67
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
Hey look, other engineering prospectives!

I have nothing to contribute to the current discussion, though. Just wanted to throw myself in here, so I can MEET NEW PEOPLE and all that fun stuff.

Perhaps if you guys can't really pick one over the other, you could choose based off which campus has the better food? I think that's what I'll end up doing, between Waterloo and Mac!
Welcome, Iman!
Old 04-01-2008 at 03:10 AM   #68
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

I think you don't need to do two engineering degrees, its better to do engineering plus management and then you have the choice of doing master degree in business, computer science or even other engineering disciplines!!
For me, I applied for Waterloo and McMaster only, I got accepted in McMaster and I accepted the offer the moment I got it, McMaster is an old university and its one of the best in Canada plus Its in Hamilton which is the 3rd largest city in ontario and the larger the city, the more opportunities you will have for having fun and also finding jobs.

About the food, I have two friends, one in Waterloo and one in Mcmaster, they both said food and residence in McMaster is better, but I dont really know about Western Ontario.

I liked McMaster because of the Engineering + Management program, its one of the best combinations to study.
Old 04-01-2008 at 07:43 PM   #69
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Thanks Chad!

I think indecisiveness could probably be a sign that most universities are doing something right - they offer so many great things that we can't choose! :P

Don't know what Western offers, but I really like how Mac's engineering program is common for first year, so if you decide to change your mind after first year, it's not that difficult at all because you never really picked something in the first place. So maybe that could be an incentive for Mac, Aestas. ;D

Good to know that McMaster's food is better, but when I visited the campuses, I liked Waterloo's residences a lot more. The rooms were somewhat bigger and it just seemed a lot brighter!

It seems like everyone's considering Engineering and Management though... No one's even somewhat interested in Society? :P
Old 04-01-2008 at 08:03 PM   #70
J-Met
Elite Member

Im possibly interested in Engineering and International studies...something I think is unique to mac.

Btw, western does offer a general first year...though its not necessarily a plus for me...

I know I want to do electrical engineering and Im gonna be doing alot of mechanical stuff first year that I will have no use for in later years.
Old 04-01-2008 at 11:26 PM   #71
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Your welcome Iman, great to see you here. J-Met and zaidyusufani you both bring up some good points. It seems that most of my friends are in the Engineering and Management program, and they are doing it mainly because a) they want business experience, and b) they believe it'll get them into a higher paying job in administration/management or just generally a higher position overlooking an engineering project. I believe this is a pretty solid idea, as having a single engineering degree vs. someone who has both engineering and management (business skills), I'm sure employees would take the second person.

However, if you're like J-Met who has a passion for a particular thing... electrical engineering, then I think thats fantastic and you should go for it. Someone who shows passion in what they do always gets noticed, and is able to specialize in their field and become really good at a specific thing... later brought onto projects as consultants because they know so much and can do a great job.

The feeling I've gotten from most engineers in first year is that they aren't sure what they are going to like the most. They know they want to be in engineering, they've heard everything about engineering being 'where the money is', but being able to try everything out really helps them to get an idea of what's out there in the industry. Even if you do know what you want to go into (ie. electrical), I believe that it's a great idea to have a general first year program where you can get experience with a wide variety of engineering areas and skills. While you may think that it's of no use to you later, remember that in the future these skills may come in handy for a project and you'll be happy you knew some civil or mech eng skills. Also, if you do ever go on to being a project leader in some sort of future job, or even if you're working in a team, you'll encounter co-workers or staff that are in different fields than what you studied in... and if you have some background knowledge and know how they think, and the terminology and concepts that they are used to (thinking back to what you learned in first year about their field) then you'll be able to communicate with them much easier.

Just think about it for a second
Old 04-02-2008 at 08:42 AM   #72
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

thats my opinion too chad
Old 04-02-2008 at 04:05 PM   #73
J-Met
Elite Member

I suppose your right. I am also slightly considering the engineering physics program at mac, but I will only consider going into this if I find first year is easy.

Ive heard engineering physics (and pretty well any integrated engineering program at other universities) is one of the hardest undergrad programs you can take...so Ill have to see how well I handle first year before I would do it.

And I think I am leaning back towards mac again now lol....the engineering and management pogram at mac seems alot more attractive than western's engineering and business program.
Old 04-02-2008 at 04:42 PM   #74
rakib

hey guys i am new to the forum....anyways...i have been accepted to life science...yay
Old 04-02-2008 at 04:48 PM   #75
rakib

new students 2008
[hi agn....i just got an official letter...saying they are not gonna send in any package....i am waiting for health science...too..any one joining in 2008..sept...plz let me know...