MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
Alternate Offers amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-10-2010 04:54 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
Conditional Offers yevenbother First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 07-15-2009 11:20 PM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Offers of Admission

Old 04-02-2008 at 06:02 PM   #76
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Congrats Rakib! And welcome
Old 04-02-2008 at 06:48 PM   #77
Aestas

Liked: 0 Times

I've heard engineering science at U of T is a killer, so no doubt, engineering physics will definitely be a challenge.

After some reconsideration, I've decided that the business option isn't really me. I thought it would open up more options, but I'm just not really interested in accounting or marketing.

I'm also now reconsidering whether or not I want to go into law afterwards. I'm thinking if I want to consider law in the future, it may be more advantageous to do social science + engineering at western or international studies/society + engineering at mac (the cirriculum of the program seems a bit sketchy).

I also find the chemical/bioengineering option very attractive at mac (something that western cant really compare to). My only fear is that I won't like chemical engineering and that will make up a bulk of my courses. :\
Old 04-02-2008 at 07:02 PM   #78
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Well, you can always go into Engineering and then take some Humanities courses as electives. It looks like in Engineering you only have 6 units (2 classes) for electives, so your choices are set out for you. I haven't looked into the International Studies/Society + Engineering program, but it sounds like you'd have a pretty full course load. If you're looking to go into Law and becoming a Lawyer, many Humanities students go to grad school from a variety of programs (for example, I remember in a careers session for Humanities that I attended, put on by Career Services, it was mentioned that a student studying Music at McMaster later graduated and became a lawyer). So while Political Science would make the most sense, becoming a lawyer basically requires you to have an interest for it, show that you're willing to study hard and apply yourself, and that you have good critical thinking and communication skills.

Some info that may help:

Soc-Sci Degrees:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_649.htm

1st Yr Engineering:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_202.htm

Permitted electives for Engineers:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...007/sec_21.htm

Political Sci
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_704.htm
Old 04-02-2008 at 07:28 PM   #79
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I've heard UofT is killer in general! :P

Engineering and Society does seem kind of sketchy, but I went over the course descriptions and they're pretty interesting... I only want to do it so I can minor in French, though. So maybe if there's a second subject you also enjoy, pick Society! It's probably a good way to check out the other course offerings that McMaster has to offer as well. Engineering leaves so little elective room, and it's so structured.

That bit about a music student reminded me that I have a question though. :O I want to keep playing my instrument in uni, but I don't own one and it's not really possible for me to buy it (it's about the cost of two year's tuition...). Does anyone know who should I e-mail to ask about that? :D I went around the School of Music's website but don't really know which person I should e-mail, or if I should just find someone from the music dept. on May 10th.
Old 04-02-2008 at 07:34 PM   #80
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

You'd want to contact School of the Arts dept.

Main Office Tel: 905-525-9140 x 27671
Music: Andrew Mitchell [email protected]

I had Mr. Mitchell as a professor for a music in film and TV class, he's really nice!

There is also a McMaster orchestra that you can join and either volunteer in, or it can become an elective credit.
Old 04-02-2008 at 08:48 PM   #81
Aestas

Thanks for the info Chad! I'm glad I'm free to study any program I want and still be able to apply to law school with it. I can always do the engineering + society option with a minor in political science.

It seems as of today, I'm interested in a future in law. However, knowing me, it can change very quickly. Although, looking at the near future, I still have to decide between western and mac!
Old 04-02-2008 at 09:41 PM   #82
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Thanks so much, Chad!
Old 04-03-2008 at 07:06 PM   #83
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Your welcome guys. Looking forward to seeing you both in Sept!
Old 04-03-2008 at 07:10 PM   #84
tamzmullett

Chad do you know when we receive the booklets in the mail about how to sign up for courses/the courses available, etc?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-03-2008 at 07:38 PM   #85
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

The tandem accelerator?

Unless you're in a nuclear eng or science you won't be going anywhere near that thing...and it's apparently impossible to get into if you don't have clearance to do so.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-03-2008 at 09:26 PM   #86
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Hmmm....tandem accelerator eh?.... eng physics suddenly sounds more attractive hehe.
Old 04-05-2008 at 09:03 AM   #87
rakib

hey...i was wandering...i will graduate high skool...in this june...but i kind of join macinsider...now...so will i be termed first year student or prospective student.....another ques...so i got my first letter of conditional acceptance..in life science...how long should i wait for my final admisssion.....becaus e..if they ask for my 2nd semester marks...i can only give them..in june...(thts when 2nd semester is over)...in tht...i will loose the time to apply..to resdence....the thing is the deadline for rez...is 28th of may....however..if i apply before tht...and then not get my final offer of admission in life science....because i had bad 2nd semester marks...how will tht work?
Old 04-05-2008 at 09:43 AM   #88
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You have recieved a conditional offer because of your marks. Thus, you will need to keep a predetermined average (which should be in your offer) to gain acceptance into the program.

You will not be recieving your final offer until they get your term two marks.

You will likely need to apply to residence based on the assumption that you will recieve a definate offer of admission. You can find out more info about residence and the application process here: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ons/index.html You can also contact someone from Res admissions and they will be able to answer your questions.

And MacInsiders is an open forum. Prospective students are encouraged to join so they can get a feel for the Mac environment before accepting their offer of admission.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-05-2008 at 11:47 PM   #89
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzmullett View Post
Chad do you know when we receive the booklets in the mail about how to sign up for courses/the courses available, etc?
Thanks!!!
Hi Tamzmullett!

Not sure when the course booklet is coming, but I can tell you that there is a version of the new 2008-2009 course calendar ONLINE. It isn't fully searchable yet, as they are in the process of putting it fully online, but you can view all the main sections in PDF format just like they would be in the book that they send out.

Go here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN.../pdf/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakib View Post
hey...i was wandering...i will graduate high skool...in this june...but i kind of join macinsider...now...so will i be termed first year student or prospective student.....another ques...so i got my first letter of conditional acceptance..in life science...how long should i wait for my final admisssion.....becaus e..if they ask for my 2nd semester marks...i can only give them..in june...(thts when 2nd semester is over)...in tht...i will loose the time to apply..to resdence....the thing is the deadline for rez...is 28th of may....however..if i apply before tht...and then not get my final offer of admission in life science....because i had bad 2nd semester marks...how will tht work?
Hi Rakib!

Since you've posted on this forum you've had to signup, as username "rakib", so that means you're already a user of MacInsiders! Congrats! All students, including prospective ones, are encouraged to signup and are welcome here.

As for being termed a first year or prospective student, as soon as you get your letter of acceptance, and you know you're coming to mac, you can go to your profile settings and edit your year status to change from "Prospective" to "First Year". To do that, click here.

As for helping out, writing articles, and becoming involved with MacInsiders on a team level, we are going to be putting together a new team and inviting first year students and all other students at McMaster to join us come September to be part of the official team. You can visit our booth during CLUBSFEST which takes place during Welcome Week in September. Team members help run events on campus and off-campus that we'll be running, help promote the site, etc.

However, over the summer and even right now we'd love anyone who can help promote the site and get our URL out there! Also, if you have any ideas on an article you'd like to write about, shoot us at e-mail ([email protected] om) or go HERE and make a new thread with your article, it will be posted in our 'drafts' folder and we will review and edit it for you, then post it on the homepage if deemed suitable.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2008 at 11:57 PM   #90
rakib

[hi, chad....i studied in india...till grade 10...and then came to saint john , new brunswick....and doin my high school, i would like to join ....any kind of groups or committees....but the problem i faced when i came here...is the...cultural gap....in grade 11....i wanted to represent something...but then i wasnt sure..and i had no information about canadian style of education....cuz i came from a totally different...region... however i am looking to do something in mcmaster.....and in regards to writing article....does it have to be university or personal experience oriented