MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 07-20-2011 at 12:02 AM   #316
huangb5

Liked: 0 Times

I wish I knew about Oscar in first year to get informed about jobs on campus and I wish I knew that all-nighters never worked.
Old 07-20-2011 at 09:27 AM  
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I wish I had this awesome newsletter to read which would help me solve almost all my University problems.

Ok enough with the shameless self promotion.

I wish I knew just how easy it was to fall off track and fall utterly behind. On the flipside, it's also fairly easy to get back on track, it's just recognizing that you've falling off (and admitting it) which is quite difficult.

If you can see the warning signs ahead of time, and adjust, you become an almost unstoppable force which is devout of failure.
Old 07-20-2011 at 09:40 AM  
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Damn, I had been writing for 15 minutes and when I hit send, it decided not to go through -_-.

Anyways the gist of it was a little bit of shameless self promotion:

"I wish I had this awesome newsletter that could help me with all my University problems."

Well now I do I guess.

Ok, thinly veiled self promotion aside, I wish I knew just how easy it was to fall off track. On the flip side, it's also very easy to get back on track if you can recognize that you've fallen off and admit it to yourself. That's probably the hardest part.

If you can recognize the warning signs, and make the necessary adjustments, then you become an unstoppable force devout of any possibility of failure.

...pssst! -> College Advice <- All the cool kids are doing it!
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:33 PM   #317
chanahy

- Don't buy new textbooks!: Biggest waste of money ever. Even if a new edition is offered the year you take the course the the bookstore does not sell used copies, look for a used copy of the previous edition in the classifieds or elsewhere. There are usually only negligible differences between editions. In my experience, all my profs have accepted the use of older editions and I got by just fine.

-Buy used textbooks from other students if you can: 100% of the time you can get a textbook cheaper than at the bookstore. On that same thread, sell your old textbooks for some quick cash.

-DO NOT skip lectures: Even for those dreaded 8:30 am classes, it's worth your while to force yourself to attend class. You end up wasting more time catching up on a lecture you missed than that 1 extra hour you gained by skipping class.

-Do all easy assignments and quizzes, and earn all participation marks: Quick, easy, practically free marks that will come in handy should you not do so well on a bigger assignment or test.

-Take easy electives in your final years: When you're done with your required courses and you have spare room in your schedule, take some ridiculously easy courses to boost your GPA in your final year.

-SLEEP!!! And take breaks!: Especially during exam time. Exhaustion impedes your performance, and forcing yourself to work when you've reached that point causes more harm than good.

B.Sc (Hon)
McMaster Alumna, 2007 - 2011
Honours Life Sciences, Origins Research Specialization
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:53 PM   #318
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanahy View Post
DO NOT skip lectures: Even for those dreaded 8:30 am classes, it's worth your while to force yourself to attend class. You end up wasting more time catching up on a lecture you missed than that 1 extra hour you gained by skipping class.
This is in general. I agree that every student should always attend the 2-4 weeks of class for sure, but then it depends entirely on the student's method of learning. I've found that for some courses, lectures were a waste of my time. I could learn the same amount of material in less amount of time on my own. It really depends on how you learn which will differ from class to class and/or subject to subject.
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:13 PM   #319
mannm5

This is all so true! And quite funny! ahaha.
Old 07-28-2011 at 11:48 AM   #320
JulianG

Liked: 4 Times

DC ++ is not worth your time!

icecubz, jazzy like this.
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:38 PM   #321
IIkingdrewII

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
i am on waiting list for residency my first year so i have strted looking for off-campus housing but i do need help...Thaks for advice!
If you want to check out westvillagesuites.ca, the management company, Dundurn Properties was fantastic in providing a rooming solution for me. I was guaranteed residence, but turned down my offer to room up with a friend.

Just so you're aware, Mcmaster apparently severely overbooked their residence accomodations, therefore the odds of you getting a place in residence this year are relatively low.

Dundurn properties has two key locations both really close to our school. Prices range from 475 - 625/ month I believe and these prices include all of your Hydro, Water, Cable, and Internet. The most attractive feature for me was that the rooming conditions require you to share kitchens/ bathrooms with a few other houseguests. Which encourages a more friendly, open environment and forces you to socialize and meet new people.

Best of luck
Andrew
Old 08-10-2011 at 05:12 PM   #322
sagarnl

Liked: 1 Time

Things I wish I knew.. to seek extra help when I needed it... I didn't even know there was the help out there for me? Live it to the fullest for sure!
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:15 PM   #323
dominika7

Liked: 1 Time

And go to tutorials! God that's where I messed up last year. I'm not a huge fan of speaking in groups so I just didn't go. And i lost between 5%-10% in my courses. So just go, no matter how much you hate them.

lis25 likes this.
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:28 PM   #324
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Are there any secret passages in Mac? There has to be

A revolving staircase leading to a single sound proof room with an ipod dock and a desk made out of gold. i can see it now

gmoney likes this.
Old 08-12-2011 at 05:52 PM   #325
macVIRK

^ walk in the forest behind brandon and take the path until u see the sign to not go any further..ignore it and continue you shall be surprised whats there
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:05 PM   #326
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macVIRK View Post
^ walk in the forest behind brandon and take the path until u see the sign to not go any further..ignore it and continue you shall be surprised whats there
I'm curious now Do tell!
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:18 PM   #327
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I'm curious now Do tell!
I think they want you to venture out and see for yourself. :o
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:20 PM   #328
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macVIRK View Post
oh man this is the first thing im gonna do when i go back to mac